Advice on short sessions

RICHARDH

Advice on short sessions

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:51 am

Hi Guys/Girls wondering if you guys can lend a bit of advice, im getting back on the bike after really two years of very limited riding (almost none in fact). Since the birth of my two boys one two years ago and one 3 months ago I've found it incredibly hard to keep up the riding. Having said that both me and the missus reckon its time to get back into it, Im really starting to add the old kg's on so we are leaving the kids with their Nannna and going for short 2-3hr rides mainly on the weekend with a couple during the week maybe shorter. Anyway long story short I'm trying to get some idea on what the best way of getting some fitness back fast. We have done a fair bit of riding on the flat so the missus can get used to riding again and also get some base fitness (though im skeptical as to how much base we've gained) and have now start doing some hill climbs (Norton Summit for those that know Adelaide). Im over 100kg and im certainly not flying up those climbs but can get up not too far behind everyone else in the group. Was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what they found worked or didnt or anyone for that matter.

Cheers
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

philip

Re: Advice on short sessions

Postby philip » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:43 am

RICHARDH wrote:Anyway long story short I'm trying to get some idea on what the best way of getting some fitness back fast
I think consistency along with high intensity will be the most important things. If you can only do short rides during the week try to get ~3 rides during the week where you smash yourself. Even for a longer 2-3 hour ride on the weekend, go hard. If you can consistently do 3-4 hard rides during the week after ~4 weeks I'm sure there'll be a noticeable improvement.

scooter71

Postby scooter71 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Yea I'm in a similar position, been off the bike all winter and keen to get back into it I'm thinking of changing it up a bit like sprinting sporadically throughout rides as well as climbing. Setting out a relatively short course 10 to 20 Km and going flat out as hard as you can every week. I think if you can change it up as much as you can (including easy days) fitness will come quicker than just sitting at the same tempo cheers..

J-Man

Postby J-Man » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:43 am

My advice is too put weights on yourself. Add another 10-20kg in a backpack and you will get your fitness up.

philip

Postby philip » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:54 am

J-Man wrote:My advice is too put weights on yourself. Add another 10-20kg in a backpack and you will get your fitness up.
Why would that make any difference? If you're going hard, you're going hard, no matter what weight you're carrying - you'll probably just be doing it at different speeds.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm still going through the "learning to train" process and make more cockups than I get right.

I think these things:-

True "fitness" does NOT arrive in a hurry (it will arrive only when you get the training/nutrition/recovery right);
Start shorter/easier and leave fuel in the tank for tomorrow/next ride;
Smash yourself now and then;
Climb all kinds of hills at all kinds of cadences (make it hard but no painful stuff);
Eat and drink well on the bike even if you don't feel like it at the time;
Enjoy every ride......'cos they're all good rides.

I think that's about it.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:01 pm

I dont think weights are going to help im pretty heavy to begin with :wink: , I generally ride hard every ride more because i never get out as much as i would like ( I've found kids tend to occupy a lot of time for some reason ). Really interested in the kinds of intervals you guys do.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 pm

ireland57 wrote:I'm still going through the "learning to train" process and make more cockups than I get right.

I think these things:-

True "fitness" does NOT arrive in a hurry (it will arrive only when you get the training/nutrition/recovery right);
Start shorter/easier and leave fuel in the tank for tomorrow/next ride;
Smash yourself now and then;
Climb all kinds of hills at all kinds of cadences (make it hard but no painful stuff);
Eat and drink well on the bike even if you don't feel like it at the time;
Enjoy every ride......'cos they're all good rides.

I think that's about it.
+1

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:16 am

J-Man wrote:My advice is too put weights on yourself. Add another 10-20kg in a backpack and you will get a sore back.
fixed.

JKohn

Postby JKohn » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:19 pm

When I have been off the bike over winter I too pack on the kilos.

I will do 6 rides to Outer Harbour (60km each) just to build a good base, then start doing the hills starting with Norton Summit, then progressing to Eagle on the HIll, then progressing to Greenhill Rd, but mixing my climbing rides with another flat ride so as not to over do it.

I then make my rides longer until I can make it to Birdwood and back (120km) , which usually takes about 8 weeks to get to that level. From there it usually is just getting faster and lighter as my diet also improves when I am riding.

fringe_dweller

Postby fringe_dweller » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm in a similar place to you - my daughter was born 9 months ago and I maxed out at 93kg.

I got back on the bike about 2 months ago thanks to a new job and a good mate at work who rides regularly. That being said there is a bit of sacrifice involved - I get up at 4am every morning but it allows me to knock out around 50km before work. In 8 weeks I've managed to get back to similar levels of strength on the bike as I had previously, but still need to lose a big chunk of weight. I've only dropped 4kg so far.

Stick with it, I feel 100 times (no exaggeration!) better than what I did before I got back into it.

Grant