ACF Strava Club

sblack

ACF Strava Club

Postby sblack » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 am

I know there's at least a few of us on the forums that are Strava users and I personally find it a good way to check out what other riders are up to. I also notice that to join in Strava events/competitions you need to be a member of a club. So I've decided to set up an ACF Club.

So if you're already a Strava user then just go to the ACF Club page and join. The passcode is stravabna.

For those of you who aren't users and may not know much about Strava it's essentially a place where you can upload rides from your GPS device (whether that be Garmin, Android or iPhone) and share them with others. It has a couple of cool features like it automatically detects climbs and allows the creation of segments which tell provide information like distance, elevation gain, average gradient, a climb category rating and allows you to compare your past performances over the segment as well as see the best times of others. You can also check out other climbs to see how your local one compare to say those in the 2011 Tour de France.

Another feature I like is it let's you set hidden zones so if you want you can hide the start and end of your ride and share your ride without showing your address to the world.

There are a couple of plans to choose from. There is a free one that allows you to upload 5 rides per month or the paid one for unlimited rides (currently US$6 per month or US$59 per year) as well as options like a Garmin Edge 500 with a one year subscription for US$249 (don't know about postage costs). They also do promotional codes so if you're aware of one it may be worth putting in this thread. An example is girodilento11 currently works for 3 months free full membership.

edit: it would also be good to mention any events you think others might be interested in. The main one is KOM Challenge. Sign up and let's see how quickly we can climb the clubs leaderboard.
Last edited by sblack on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yongkun

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby Yongkun » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:41 am

on the free membership as well, joined! just for the fun of it...

OutOfBreath

Postby OutOfBreath » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:23 am

I just joined the club. Been on Strava for a while.

Looking at my rides will just show people how little I ride though :-)

Paul
Cannondale SuperSix 5

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:59 am

I might have to join this one too, and start using my Garmin more.

Max

Postby Max » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:21 pm

I'm in! :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:23 pm

I am in and am aiming at getting the Bacon coloured Jersey for slow climbing. :)

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Good idea.

joined ACF... don't really put much stuff on strava, even though i have a 3 month 'trial membership thingo , it is interesting to compare yourself to others (can estimate your power output roughly as well which is cool) .

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:53 pm

hopped in

try and knock me off my KOMs, I dare yas 8)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks sblack for mailing me and setting this up.
In our modern world there are a multitude of opportunities, if you feel that BNA or the BNA forums & members can benefit I am always happy to hear and discuss as it isn't possible to know everything and to do everything - just contact me :)
Cycling is in my BNA

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:08 am

In. Is there some sort of summary screen for the club?

Max

Postby Max » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:18 am

For those of you who'd rather not pay for membership (to get around the 5 uploads per month limit), Strava have announced some changes. Of course, this happened the day after I paid for membership :roll: :lol: Oh well. Still, I really like the leaderboard stuff and the unofficial time trial/competitiveness stuff. And it seems paid plans will get some extra stuff as a result of this change anyway.

DaveOz, this is all I can find. Maybe the new improved Strava will have a leaderboard-like dashboard thing for the club page. :idea:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks for that MAx, I was just about to pay membership this morning.... will hold out for a bit now. Free unlimited uploads is nice.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi

Thanks for this. Signed up and will start from August 1.

Might be a good reason to kill off the BikJournal Club at the end of the year as looks like it has more features etc.

Andrew

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:07 pm

Anyone else having issues uploading to Strava

I just get this page for ever :evil:

I have no issue with it uploading to Garmin Connect.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:47 pm

Cancel the above, I just got it to work.

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:51 pm

Was just coming in with the good news only to see I am to late.

Ah well, unlimited uploads for all members is a great feature.

Love my Strava.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:22 pm

damn max, you're quick with the kudos :p

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:34 pm

If people are looking at buying membership, maybe send one of the people who are already members your email address so they can benefit from a few free months.

Guys like Baldy, SBlack etc etc oh, and me. :)

Also, what your name is on Strava. I have people following me I don't know who they are.

I am Todd Norbury for those interested.
Last edited by norbs on Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jensen

Postby Jensen » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Joined Strava earlier in the month (the free part anyway) so will jump back and link to the club as well. Have found it much better than just Garmin connect

Max

Postby Max » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:46 pm

norbs wrote:Also, what your name is on Strava. I have people following me I don't know who they are.
Max Lian. Imaginative, I know :)

Max

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:53 pm

norbs wrote:If people are looking at buying membership, maybe send one of the people who are already members your email address so they can benefit from a few free months.

Also, what your name is on Strava. I have people following me I don't know who they are.

I noticed you have a segment on Jindy Andy lane, and you are beating me :D

I just created one on Albatross Rd and your beating me there too :(

I also thought hard about my name for Strava, its Greg Lewis

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
norbs wrote:If people are looking at buying membership, maybe send one of the people who are already members your email address so they can benefit from a few free months.

I noticed you have a segment on Jindy Andy lane, and you are beating me :D

I just created one on Albatross Rd and your beating me there too :(

I also thought hard about my name for Strava, its Greg Lewis
Is the other guy on the Albatross Road one your mate? Richard O'Connel.
What about Nowra Hill (East)? You should have ridden that by now. I notice you are a full 100kms in front of me. Damn you man, slow down. :shock:

sblack

Postby sblack » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:56 pm

norbs wrote:I am in and am aiming at getting the Bacon coloured Jersey for slow climbing. :)
Better be careful not to improve much, what was it? 2 seconds on the one climb that we've both done?
AUbicycles wrote:Thanks sblack for mailing me and setting this up.
My pleasure. It's pretty cool to go to the club page now and see the rides people have been doing. To me it adds a little something to the community aspect of the forums. Along the lines of the Bike Gallery, Fit Gits, Black Cats, 6k and 10k clubs, it brings us together as riders and we can share in moments like Joel holding the KOM for Mt Coot-tha Front temporarily, Baldy adding another KOM to his Tasmanian Tittles or Will setting a couple of PBs over in Perth just as if it was one of my neighbours who'd done it on a local ride. All I have to do now is match forum and strava names, some are nice and easy, others are not so obvious, like I believe lethoso is Joel?
Max wrote:For those of you who'd rather not pay for membership (to get around the 5 uploads per month limit), Strava have announced some changes. Of course, this happened the day after I paid for membership :roll: :lol: Oh well. Still, I really like the leaderboard stuff and the unofficial time trial/competitiveness stuff. And it seems paid plans will get some extra stuff as a result of this change anyway.

DaveOz, this is all I can find. Maybe the new improved Strava will have a leaderboard-like dashboard thing for the club page. :idea:

Max
That's some good news, unlimitted uploads to all members can only help them grow. Pretty interested to see what's in stall for paid members too. As for the summary page I think the best way to get a leaderboard happening is with an event. The ability to set up events is not there at the moment but I've emailed them to ask to setup an ACF All Time KOM event which will act as an all time leaderboard. Looking at the Studio Velo KOM Challenge (for all Strava Users) you would then be able to select a month or year to get results for the chosen time period.
Aushiker wrote:Might be a good reason to kill off the BikJournal Club at the end of the year as looks like it has more features etc.
While I'm definately a fan of Strava and would personally prefer things like Fit Gits to be run through it it's worth noting that it really caters to GPS users rather than other cycle computers. While there is a manual ride entry feature it is limited (only date, start/finish time and distance I believe) so any rides without a GPS can't have any climb data added. Not really an issue for Fit Gits I guess though since it's only distance that's tracked for it anyway but still something to be aware of if people are chosing to swap from bikejournal.

I see norbs got in about the names while I was typing up my post.
Max wrote:
norbs wrote:Also, what your name is on Strava. I have people following me I don't know who they are.
Max Lian. Imaginative, I know :)

Max
Mine is just as imaginative... Shane Black

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:07 pm

norbs wrote: Is the other guy on the Albatross Road one your mate? Richard O'Connel.
What about Nowra Hill (East)? You should have ridden that by now. I notice you are a full 100kms in front of me. Damn you man, slow down. :shock:

No idea who that is. I don't normally ride up BTU rd in the mornings. Looks like I will have to now.

And don't forget the 29kms I did today :D Having tomorrow off so you can catch me.

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
norbs wrote: Is the other guy on the Albatross Road one your mate? Richard O'Connel.

No idea who that is. I don't normally ride up BTU rd in the mornings. Looks like I will have to now.

And don't forget the 29kms I did today :D Having tomorrow off so you can catch me.

129kms tomorrow? :shock: