Ride to work day october 12th

drubie

Ride to work day october 12th

Postby drubie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:29 pm

OK,

So being a little stupid I volunteered to be the "workplace coordinator" for this. Anybody got any good suggestions for cajoling local businesses into donating food for the breakfast?

What about getting people to register? I regularly see about 20 odd people already riding to work but (like most commuters) aren't that interested in cycling advocacy. I mean, *I'm* not that interested in it but...it might be worth trying this to see how many people show up.

anybody else done this before?
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

CommuRider

Re: Ride to work day october 12th

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:37 pm

How about asking the local council to provide brekkie?

Other than that, my employer provided us with a nice brekkie last year...all organic stuff - coffee, fruits and vegies, rolls....yum yum. Looking forward to this year's breakfast.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Not a bad idea commurider - the local bike shop is happy to get involved (have offered their car park for a venue and maybe some freebies) but the ride to work people insists that you can't use competitors to their sponsors (which is fine in the city) and a distinct preference for healthy food. Bizarrely, muffins are on that list, but really, that's cake!

Muesli bars, fruit, coffee, OJ are their suggestions. Could be a bit tough here (local food is limited to fruit and bakeries). I shall start cold calling I guess.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:40 pm

drubie wrote: but the ride to work people insists that you can't use competitors to their sponsors (which is fine in the city) and a distinct preference for healthy food.
Sure you can't get a waiver? If their sponsors aren't in a 100km vicinity, then surely you can get some exemption due to their ovesight of the reality for regional RTW.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Hey Drubes, are there any hospitals, health or medical research facilities nearby?

The research institute next door to my office organises breaky for this every year.

They've let us jump on board with them for the past couple of years.

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:09 pm

rkelsen wrote:Hey Drubes, are there any hospitals, health or medical research facilities nearby?

The research institute next door to my office organises breaky for this every year.

They've let us jump on board with them for the past couple of years.
there is a hospital in town, but as far as I know, there's never been a community breakfast here so I'm kinda working in the dark a bit.

My initial idea was to hold it here at the University but the local bike shop suggested we do it in town, outside the bike shop (with their support) then organise a group ride out to the uni after the breakfast. It's a good suggestion in that it offers other "ride to workers" not at the uni a chance to participate.

so, I'm taking them up on their offer. I've had a bit of success with the good people at "Carman's Kitchen" to have promised some support in the way of muesli bars so the ball is rolling. I'm hoping to get the local council involved too as one of my club mates works down there.

Matthewb

Postby Matthewb » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Are you in Armidale (noticed your location as new england)? UNE might be doing something for this (I havn't heard anything but our OHS person generally gets involved with this sort of thing), would be great if Booloominbah provided breakfast!

Now if only something could convince more college students to ride (or walk...) to uni, it's not even a kilometer - probably 700ish metres!! It's amazing how often I get college students turn up 30mins late for pracs because they 'couldn't find a parking space'......... :roll:

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:59 pm

PM sent Mathew.

The ride to work for me will largely be around collecting in town and having breakfast before forming up a UNE "bike bus" and heading out to work. I think the community breakfast may be better attended if we can use it as a marshalling point and not exclude those who don't work out at the uni.