unidentified cyclist brought into RAH - Help needed

robbie d

Postby robbie d » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:33 pm

This came from the local cycling site in Adelaide, but no one knows this poor guy thus far:

The RAH has contacted me asking for help.

A cyclist was brought in by ambulance this morning at 10.30 after collapsing outside the Scenic Hotel at Norton Summit. He has no ID on him and communication is limited.

He is late 40s to mid 50s with slightly greying hair and a mole on his face. Medium build, not over 6ft. He has cycling glove tan lines.

He was riding a black and white Giant Defy Advance with Giant in red and white bar tape.

A new Fizik saddle

A black Bell helmet

He had spare tube and silver Zero pump with a Z (like Zorro on it), $50, a pen knife and a generic Mp3 player,

So he would have been riding up between 9.30am and 1000am this morning.

Can you help? Contact the Royal Adelaide Hospital emergency.

liamb

Re: unidentified cyclist brought into RAH - Help needed

Postby liamb » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:42 pm

sounds stupid but I have seen that bloke but I have no Idea who he is! makes me feel a bit useless for not saying hi whats your name bloke! something to think about though, I have a laminated photo copy of my drivers licence in my saddle bag with my important contacts and medical info on it just for this reason!

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

robbie d

Postby robbie d » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:47 pm

well if you have seen him, others must have too :)

liamb

Postby liamb » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:34 pm

hope so him and his families sake, hope someone is missing him!
Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Sad state of events, I hope his family is found soon so the appropriate things can be done...

Highlights how important it is to have ID on u. An old drivers license, or an business card with yr details on it (covered with contact) can be a life saver... If u want to be well prepared make a PDF file of all yr details, relevant past medical info & medications, and stick it on a USB drive in ur bike bag...

Don't think this isn't a common occurrence. Problems contacting next of kins happen on a nightly basis in Emerg Dept across town.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:54 pm

Can't believe no one has claimed him yet! Here's more info

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/collapsed ... 6104813122
He collapsed from his bike about 9.25am on Norton Summit Road, and was taken to hospital by ambulance. He was described as having light olive skin, aged about 50 to 60, about 180cm tall, weighing 85kg and with short, dark hair. He was wearing a silver Omega watch, black and silver Shimano cleats, a red and black jersey with "F" on the left sleeve and Fluids on the back. His bicycle was a black and white racing bike, with the word Giant written on it in red. The wheels were Aksium brand and the bike had a black and white Fisik brand seat. He was wearing a black bike helmet.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:31 pm

I have my better half's name in my phone as ICE ICE (christian and sur name).
But should get a laminated driver's licence copy made with med details. Where's the best place to stick it though?
Maybe laminate it to the down tube?

It's accidents like this that drive home how vulnerable people are who live on their own.

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:09 pm

HI good news ,just letting you know he has been identified and his family found.
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Good to hear. Hope he recovers well.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:12 pm

Riding without ID is just plain stupid, as evidenced by this case.
My wrist band goes on even for a 1k ride to the shops.

Hope the feller in question makes a quick and full recovery.......Maybe a relative could gift him a road ID type product as a get well pressie.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:32 pm

This is weird. I met up with a mate of mine who told me about a mate of his that collapsed off his bike at Norton Summit. He didn't tell me exactly when this happened, but the timeline of when this thread started fits into what my mate said (a couple of weeks ago).

Unfortunately, the story I have heard is the guy had a heart attack and died. Obviously I cannot confirm this is the right person, but seems like a bit of a co-incidence.

RIP.

It really $hits me off when fit, active people die while exercising, while fat overweight fu(ks sit on their ass and soak up tax payer funded welfare and healthcare.

EDIT>>Just confirmed with my mate. RAH couldn't ID the person for approx 3-4 days. He had a heart attack and as a result his brain had no oxygen for about 10 minutes. They turned off life support and he died shortly after.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:20 pm

Sorry to hear that.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:24 pm

Oxford wrote:some sort of ID whether just a card, or dog tag or whatever should be mandatory for anyone rational thinking person. OK the naysayers are going to say the chances are minimal you will need it, so according to that philosophy the airlines shouldn't bother with safety instructions on take off, odds are you shouldn't need it in fact any safety instructin is pointless as is insurance, you'll probably never claim on it.

also phones you should put in an ICE number, in my case I use 1CE, so it is top of the phone list. every little bit of contact information can be helpful.
I suggest to everyone here that the basics are easily put on a sticker that will fit around a seat post. Flouro is obviously best as random people will likely not look for a sticker. And of course a copy in the wallet.

I have a sticker that identifies me, my age, freedom of alergies etc, my ABO grouping, has next of kin contact, organ donation status.

(It needs replacing I just noticed.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Allkai

Postby Allkai » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:59 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote: My wrist band goes on even for a 1k ride to the shops.
+ 1

Cant beat the RoadID bands.

Xponti

Postby Xponti » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:02 pm

I don't ride without mine now.

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx
There is no peace only Passion (for cycling), through Passion I gain Strength (in my legs), through Strength I gain Power (watts), through Power I gain Victory!

2007 Giant OCR1
Malvern Star Pinnacle MTB