2011 Tour de France

CommuRider

Re: 2011 Tour de France

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:55 pm

martinjs wrote:I just pre ordered the Tour de France 2011 highlights DVD from out supplier, means I get 10% of the purchase price. :D 8) Now I only have to wait, not coming out until September. :(

Martin
SBS still has videos of the Tour here

http://www.youtube.com/sbstourdefrance

am sure you can download them all, compile them for your very own TdF DVD
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:02 pm

martinjs wrote:I just pre ordered the Tour de France 2011 highlights DVD from out supplier, means I get 10% of the purchase price. :D 8) Now I only have to wait, not coming out until September. :(
linky?
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

roller

Postby roller » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:08 pm

JV911 wrote:
linky?
i too would like to know where the 10% off place is!

edit: http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/default. ... 3&P=652275 $32.98
inflammatory statement or idea

Hangdog98

Postby Hangdog98 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:13 pm

I think you can get the tour de France highlights DVD for 10% off, but only as an add-on to the full package set of the 2010 AFL complete games DVD collectors edition set. :lol:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 pm

:lol:

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:28 pm

roller wrote:
JV911 wrote:
linky?
i too would like to know where the 10% off place is!

edit: http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/default. ... 3&P=652275 $32.98
Sorry, my bad :oops: I work in a retail Electronics shop as a computer tech but we also sell DVD's and such. As a staff Member I get 10% but can't get it for others. :(
Helps that I order the DVD's as well. Nope never bothered getting a DVD for the AFL Grand Final and definitely not Colliwobbles. :roll:
This TDF outcome is far greater than the Grand final any way, not sure if I ever said anything different. First ever Australian win can never be repeated so I want an original copy for my DVD collection. :D 8)

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:36 pm

JV911 wrote:Why Evans beat the Schleck brothers by Robert Millar

So why did Cadel Evans win this year's Tour de France over the Schlecks? Leopard Trek had the two of them to use tactically. They had numerous mountaintop finishes suited to their climbing abilities more than the gutsy Australian. On paper, the new team looked a stronger unit than BMC. There was even less time trialling than usual for the brothers to worry about. So what went wrong?

Well maybe that's not quite the right way of asking the question, because when you finish second and third, not that much went wrong. I think it's better to ask, what did Cadel do right that Andy and Fränk Schleck didn't quite match?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert ... k-brothers
I think that was a great summary. Cadel Evans has, in the past, probably been guilty of the same thing: trying not to lose the Tour rather than riding to win. This year he rode to win and it showed, and it ended up with the best result of all. His, and his team's, tactics were also spot on especially when the situation was difficult. Sure, there was also a bit of luck, but you need that to win and you also make your own luck by doing things like riding at the front of the peleton.

I also think his point about the Schlecks was very well made. They came second and third, that is a massive achievement and what they learned this year will help them in the future. I think Andy will win one day and he may well reflect on the 2011 Tour and how Cadel won as a real learning experience which helped him improve that one spot he so desires.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Thinking about pivotal moments of le tour, one stood out for me and that was Cadel crossing the finishing line ahead of Contador. It was a psychological blow which AC never recovered from. Imagine how he must have gotten ribbed bout his premature victory salute.

Of course this was still before the mtn stages but Cadel effectively neutered Contador as an opponent/contender in that early stage.

"Not your tour this time, mate!"

David_G

Postby David_G » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:47 pm

The most memorable stages for me was the chase after Andy did the big escape, late night, heater going, house silent, I could count off the seconds that he was catching up.
Then the time trial, what else can be said? My brother in law who is a cross fit junkie, but not a cyclist rang me to make sure I was awake and watching, he subsequently woke the entire house up, but hey small price to pay for that days racing.
Great BMC team effort.
If you compare the talent at Leopard or Saxo Bank to BMC, it just proves that a champion team will beat a team of champions nearly every time.
I just love riding my bike!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:25 am

David_G wrote:, it just proves that a champion team will beat a team of champions nearly every time.
Yep, like in any sport.

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:20 pm

Was driving into Geelong early this morning and noticed a big sign just before the city centre exit that read "Geelong Salutes Cadel"! .... 8)

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:15 pm

MikeyD360 wrote:Umm.. WT??

That's probably what Phil L and Paul S are referring to when they say "... and it looks like the elastic's broken ..."

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:17 pm

ni78ck wrote:
Gassy wrote:Went into Bicycling Superstore at lunch time to fill in some time, noticed they had hardly any road bikes. Asked what the go was. Apparently they have sold something like 50 bikes just since Cadel won. They were pretty happy as you might expect.

So watch out on the roads..
this happens with most sports. years ago it was golf, when greg norman played in australia i heard sales would triple! :shock:

I wonder how many 12 metre yachts sold after Australia II won the America's Cup? :lol:

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:59 pm

Don't like that photo.... please don't quote because it will turn me off spaghetti forever.

What comes to mind when reflecting the tour is the GC breakaways towards the end, particularly that of Contador where the Voeckler, the Schlecks and Evans didn't follow. There was really something happening there as everyone knows that Contador could have been a real threat and if he had his legs up the mountains, he could have done it... but the rest were content to let him go. For me this is showing real strategy and knowledge from the cyclists and team directors as somehow they knew that it was worth sitting (without getting nervous). And also looking at how Evans attacked... he didn't attack that much, where he really got his lead was with resolve by driving the pack forward and rather than loosing riders with a sharp attack... I think that this saved him energy.

So, is Cadel fever wearing off?
Cycling is in my BNA

snark

Postby snark » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:56 pm

AUbicycles wrote:So, is Cadel fever wearing off?
There's been at least one story in the Geelong Addy every day this week. We're happy to keep claiming him :)

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:46 pm

AUbicycles wrote:So, is Cadel fever wearing off?
A couple of guys (incl. myself) did a Traffic Controller course today (for controlling traffic in road races) and the instructor mentioned Cadel's win along side last night's footy results! He only mentioned it because there were a few cyclists in the class, but it is nice to know that even the ute driving tradie mob have at least something to talk to us about now. Even if it's the only thing they know about cycling, it's a start.

David
(As an aside, if you walked into the room during the course you would be able to spot the cyclists in the group, even though we were all dressed in civies)

Hangdog98

Re: HIJACKED BY MEXICANS!

Postby Hangdog98 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:37 pm

"Cadel is coming home especially for this event, which will include a short bike ride and a celebration at Federation Square where Victorians will have a wonderful opportunity to yell for Cadel," said Mr Baillieu. "Victorians who watched Cadel’s victory were inspired and had their spirits lifted by his resilience, perseverance and sheer guts. Now they will have an opportunity to honour this inspirational Victorian champion in person."
If Cadel Evans was celebrating in any other capitol then he would be an Australian, and Australians would be invited to celebrate this inspirational Australian's TDF victory.

If his statehood is based on where he lives, then he is Swiss. If it was his birthplace then he is a territorian. If his cycling nationality is from where he was inspired to cycle then he is a New South Welshman ("Evans has stated that it was his early years growing up in Armidale, New South Wales, that was the inspiration for his cycling career"). If his ancestoral heritage is his real nationality, then like Julia Gillard, he is Welsh. If his holiday home is his real nationality, then I suppose he might be Victorian or perhaps Italian... probably more Italian.

So the article should read: Cadel is coming to Melbourne especially for this event, which will include a short bicycle ride and a celebration at a place named Federation Square (named after the encatment of the Australian Federation Act in the British Parliment), where his fans will have an opportunity to yell for Cadel (so named after the three Welsh Kings)," said Mr Baillieu of French Belgian heritage who watched Cadel's victory (in France for an American team)... Now they, including the Swiss, Australian (including but not limited to 'Victorians'), Welsh, French, Americans, Italians, Armadillians, Tibetans and Belgians, will have the opportunity to honour this inspirational Collingwood fan in person. :lol: :lol: :lol:

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Hangdog98 wrote:
"Cadel is coming home especially for this event, which will include a short bike ride and a celebration at Federation Square where Victorians will have a wonderful opportunity to yell for Cadel," said Mr Baillieu. "Victorians who watched Cadel’s victory were inspired and had their spirits lifted by his resilience, perseverance and sheer guts. Now they will have an opportunity to honour this inspirational Victorian champion in person."
If Cadel Evans was celebrating in any other capitol then he would be an Australian, and Australians would be invited to celebrate this inspirational Australian's TDF victory.

If his statehood is based on where he lives, then he is Swiss. If it was his birthplace then he is a territorian. If his cycling nationality is from where he was inspired to cycle then he is a New South Welshman ("Evans has stated that it was his early years growing up in Armidale, New South Wales, that was the inspiration for his cycling career"). If his ancestoral heritage is his real nationality, then like Julia Gillard, he is Welsh. If his holiday home is his real nationality, then I suppose he might be Victorian or perhaps Italian... probably more Italian.

So the article should read: Cadel is coming to Melbourne especially for this event, which will include a short bicycle ride and a celebration at a place named Federation Square (named after the encatment of the Australian Federation Act in the British Parliment), where his fans will have an opportunity to yell for Cadel (so named after the three Welsh Kings)," said Mr Baillieu of French Belgian heritage who watched Cadel's victory (in France for an American team)... Now they, including the Swiss, Australian (including but not limited to 'Victorians'), Welsh, French, Americans, Italians, Armadillians, Tibetans and Belgians, will have the opportunity to honour this inspirational Collingwood fan in person. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reading his book at the moment, apparently most of his early serious riding was done around Plenty, Eltham while riding to school and training in the Kinglake area. Some of his first sponsors and supporters all came or were working/active in the same area. So perhaps that's why he (or maybe his team?) Chose Melbourne. He also has a propertly where he spends several months of the year in Victoria.

I'm no longer a Mexican before you judge. :lol: Leeton, Southern NSW is where I live and where I'll stay.
Although I lived in Preston/Reservoir and used to cycle up and down the Plenty Rd through Plenty about the time Cadel was riding around the same area. :oops: 8)

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

David_G

Postby David_G » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Hangdog98 wrote:

Don't worry, Sydney is still the centre of the known universe...If he does get up there you'll have another excuse to set fire to your bridge again..:)

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:01 am

Having moved back to victoria I find the partisan crap tedious and probably most victorians do, our politicians don't appear to have worked that out yet.

Don't know if you watched the Gruen Transfer last night Hangdog, for more Sydney Melb stirring.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:10 am

Hangdog98 wrote:...honour this inspirational Collingwood fan in person. :lol: :lol: :lol:
YER WOT???

That's it, I'm not goin' :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

David_G

Postby David_G » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:27 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Hangdog98 wrote:...honour this inspirational Collingwood fan in person. :lol: :lol: :lol:
YER WOT???

That's it, I'm not goin' :P
He's a Cats fan.

snark

Postby snark » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:57 pm

David_G wrote:He's a Cats fan.
I mentioned that here many many pages ago somewhere, but I did preface it at the time with something like "as reported by the Geelong Advertiser". I take out of that that he may be a Cats fan but I'm not 100% certain of that :).

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

David_G

Postby David_G » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:30 pm

snark wrote:
David_G wrote:He's a Cats fan.
I mentioned that here many many pages ago somewhere, but I did preface it at the time with something like "as reported by the Geelong Advertiser". I take out of that that he may be a Cats fan but I'm not 100% certain of that :).

Cheers,
Simon.
I was listening to the Couldabeens on Sat, he lives next door to Ian Cover when he's here and they were certain he is a Cats fan, so that might be considered more substantial evidence.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Cover is the Coodabeen with the dimpled chin who does Bobby Davis impersonations. Cover says he's looking forward to Evans getting back because he lent him his hammer and he hasn't returned it. Like Cover, Evans barracks for the Cats.

The Age article