TimW

Re: Perth weather

Postby TimW » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:13 pm

cool :D
we are both on it :D

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:49 am

Hmmm, the weather is a touch wet, I've only managed 508km this week so far.... :wink:

backslashio

Postby backslashio » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:36 pm

cavebear2 wrote:Hmmm, the weather is a touch wet, I've only managed 508km this week so far.... :wink:
In forwards or reverse (being blown back by the wind)? :P

lloydyboy

Postby lloydyboy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:27 pm

anyone venturing out in this today?

sli123

Postby sli123 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:43 pm

Nah, went for a short run instead.
Hoping for a break in the weather in the morning before the predicted storms arrive later in the day.

backslashio

Postby backslashio » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:04 pm

Weather is still psycho, rain came out of nowhere today pouring down with strong winds & then it vanished 5 seconds later!

I was afraid to go out :P

lloydyboy

Postby lloydyboy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:16 pm

I managed to find a break in the cloud for an hour or so, wasn't too bad but a hell of alot of debris on the cycle paths along the kwinana, especially along the river :shock:

sli123

Postby sli123 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:12 pm

lloydyboy wrote:I managed to find a break in the cloud for an hour or so, wasn't too bad but a hell of alot of debris on the cycle paths along the kwinana, especially along the river :shock:
I'll be trying the Kwinana path in the morning....might get some bunny-hopping practice in by the sound of it

Redbull

Perth weather

Postby Redbull » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:35 pm

Set the trainer up in the lounge :(
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Kneedown

Postby Kneedown » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:20 am

108km Cyclo Sportif out in York....drenched and blown backwards! :roll:
Bianchi Sempre Pro Chorus 11 | dry bike
Giant Defy Composite 2 SRAM Apex | wet bike

backslashio

Postby backslashio » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:36 am

lloydyboy wrote:I managed to find a break in the cloud for an hour or so, wasn't too bad but a hell of alot of debris on the cycle paths along the kwinana, especially along the river :shock:
Damnit! :( That's my favourite route atm too

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:14 am

Was nice this morning apart from the 20-30 knot NWester and the odd very heavy shower or 5.

MM

roller

Postby roller » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:22 am

went riding saturday but not on sunday

went and did jacobs, kokoda and the dna tower instead.

my legs are absolutely r00ted today.

running's for mugs i swear!
inflammatory statement or idea

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:25 am

lloydyboy wrote:anyone venturing out in this today?
I wimped out. Two days in a row now ... should have done a 100 km training ride over the weekend. Woke at 5:00 AM to do an extended 60 + km commute and wimped again. Now down to a 20 km quick comute instead :(

Andrew

McGoo

Perth weather

Postby McGoo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:34 am

Aushiker wrote:
I wimped out. Two days in a row now ... should have done a 100 km training ride over the weekend. Woke at 5:00 AM to do an extended 60 + km commute and wimped again. Now down to a 20 km quick comute instead :(

Andrew
Doing better then me. I broke a rib last Saturday riding to work (slick tires plus slick bricks means don't lean the bike over), so I'm not even able to ride at the moment. Boo.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:01 am

McGoo wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Doing better then me. I broke a rib last Saturday riding to work (slick tires plus slick bricks means don't lean the bike over), so I'm not even able to ride at the moment. Boo.
I'm doing better than you as well just... Came down on a painted driveway on a lean coming home wed. Done a number on my shoulder but nothing broken, it's all soft tissue. I think we should apply a rule, if you think the surface is slippery don't lean bike over! Even if you don't think it is, or a change in terrain.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

backslashio

Postby backslashio » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:38 pm

Bad weather again today & still no sign of my LS jerseys thanks to that T7 order screwup :( Don't want to go outside only to catch a cold

sli123

Postby sli123 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:43 pm

sli123 wrote:
I'll be trying the Kwinana path in the morning....might get some bunny-hopping practice in by the sound of it
I can confirm - lots of debris! I went to the left, I went to the right. I went straight over the top too. Amazed I didn't have more than the one puncture (tiniest little sharp stone straight through to the tube). Managed to make it most of the way through a 4 hour ride without much rain - until the last 20 minutes when it decided to dump on me big time. Thoroughly soaked at the finish but the hot shower was heaven.

lloydyboy

Postby lloydyboy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:49 pm

sli123 wrote:
sli123 wrote:
I can confirm - lots of debris! I went to the left, I went to the right. I went straight over the top too. Amazed I didn't have more than the one puncture (tiniest little sharp stone straight through to the tube). Managed to make it most of the way through a 4 hour ride without much rain - until the last 20 minutes when it decided to dump on me big time. Thoroughly soaked at the finish but the hot shower was heaven.
damn, unlucky with the puncture. Anyone know how often they sweep those paths? Theres alot of those honky nuts around at the moment which are lethal judging by one of the threads I read earlier :shock:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:11 pm

McGoo wrote:Doing better then me. I broke a rib last Saturday riding to work (slick tires plus slick bricks means don't lean the bike over), so I'm not even able to ride at the moment. Boo.
Nasty :( Hope you recovery quickly and well.

Andrew

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:14 pm

'nuff said:

http://www.watercorporation.com.au/R/rainfall.cfm

mind you, I've been glad to have not been out on the road over the past few days.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:18 pm

You are right - Perth weather is not supposed to be like this. It is certainly the longest stretch of storm I recall. Usually in Perth a rainy day is any day where it rained at some point. Not a day when it rains all the bl^*%y time! That weather belongs in Melbourne!

In fact this evening was the first time in a week and a half that I have managed to ride all the way home. And even then the wind wanted to drive me over the fence and onto the freeway.

The one redemption is that at least the morning temps are ok
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

backslashio

Postby backslashio » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:31 am

Great rainfall weather, just a shame its coming in clumps

We definitely need it though so can't complain too much. The wind on the other hand can gtfo :P

Clubagreenie

Postby Clubagreenie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:33 pm

ten mins of blue
= hours of sideways rain and winds :cry:

On the trainer ... I dont mind the rain ... it is the wind that it is dangerous
"My father touched me like that once. To this day, he still has to wear orthopedic shirts."

At the end of the day , it is the Indian , not the arrow .. so ride what you want

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:12 pm

Well, this morning it looked like I would, for the first time in a couple of weeks, get to finish my trip to work without having to cover up.

Wrong! It was just playing with my mind! As I got up from my daily coffee stop, it started spitting. On with it again. A short while later it was raining properly.

And last night, though I did get home dry, the wind kept on trying to push me over the fence and onto the freeway. Cross winds on a unicycle are a lot more of an issue than it is with bikes with steering gear. Not fun at all.

Oh well.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle