First commute confidence booster

wolfrider

Postby wolfrider » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:07 am

Just completed my first real commute ride from my house to the train station, a one way trip of 15km. Not too shabby a ride with a few steep climbs and long hauls with minor incline, decided that I need some more practice with those long inclines :wink: aghhhh!
Really enjoyed the ride though, and feel awesome for it. It was pretty quiet at 4:50am, so not alot of traffic. But the traffic I did have was no problem. I did heed advice into my lighting and be seen tactic. Worked a treat, and I think it gave me a false sense of security, but I guess it's better than no mental reassurance.
Does anyone else get this feeling? Being fully equipped and the feeling that you've done everything right, so therefore your risks are that much smaller?
(I understand that you could be lit up like a Xmas tree and some drivers could still miss you :roll: )

DaveOZ

Re: First commute confidence booster

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:13 am

It's nice to feel comfortable on the bike but never complacent.

Glad to hear you had a good ride, stick with it and you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 am

It's great to be lit up but never trust a car to do the right thing. Some road users will buzz you just for giggles. :(

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:23 am

"Just completed my first real commute ride from my house to the train station, a one way trip of 15km. Not too shabby a ride with a few steep climbs and long hauls with minor incline, decided that I need some more practice with those long inclines aghhhh!"

Congratulations - with practice the hills become less steep.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:53 am

Hey Wolfrider you are off to a great start - in a couple of weeks it will just be second nature. It's not just a feeling, your risks are smaller, not eliminated just smaller. This is because you can't make something idiot-proof as someone will make a better idiot.

I would like to disagree with you Comedian, but I will wait until you are wrong.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:08 am

Hamster wrote: Congratulations - with practice the hills become less steep.
No they dont, you just go up them faster and they hurt just as much :P

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:29 am

Crawf wrote:
Hamster wrote: Congratulations - with practice the hills become less steep.
No they dont, you just go up them faster and they hurt just as much :P
Shhhh ... I was keeping that a secret until Wolf is fully indoctrinated.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

wolfrider

Postby wolfrider » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Yep I can completely understand what your saying about other motorists, I had a minor look into the world of the unassuming driver this morning. Exiting the round about, as I was doing so the ute behind decides there Is enough room to shoot straight through both lanes, and his exit was pretty much my line out of the roundabout. Gave him a loyd OI! and the 'what's up with that' hand wave in the air.
It comes down to how the motorist perceives risk I believe. If they are willing to risk shaving beside a cyclist, or purposefully pushing you out or the kinder folk giving you a wide berth. It sums up what they are willing to give up in order for impatience, etc, etc.

Ethier way I had a ball this morning and with the talk of hills getting easier :wink: I could quickly make this into the five day routine. Looking forward to my trip home.

J-Man

Postby J-Man » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:34 am

Take up an entire lane if you feel unsafe, or if you think a driver is gonna try and squeeze in. You might piss them off, but it saves you from getting side swiped.