Perth weather

backslashio

Re: Perth weather

Postby backslashio » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Sunny for now, big massive cloud of rain incoming :( I just can't get a break!

sli123

Postby sli123 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:29 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:....Cross winds on a unicycle....
I just about got blown off the bike this morning by crosswinds. You must have a heap of fun on one wheel Colin! :shock:

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:44 pm

3 words...Tacx...Fortius...Trainer :D

I'd be hibernating without it.

All this rain is bloody annoying though. We couldn't make the Avon Descent this year as Mr Moo needed to be away with work, and the river levels look like they'll make a good race. And then 2 weeks ago his work trip was cancelled!! And it's too late to cram 3 months of training into 2 weeks.

Apart from purely selfish reasons, the rain is welcome in our garden.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi

Getting ready to head out to the coast and then south ... of course the wind is now from the west, gusting to 61 km/h :roll: Might have to consider taking to the path or the freeway PSP in search of some shelter.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:46 pm

sli123 wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:....Cross winds on a unicycle....
I just about got blown off the bike this morning by crosswinds. You must have a heap of fun on one wheel Colin! :shock:
Hope your OK sli123
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi

Rode south this evening. From around Trig it got a little hairy with the wind gusts peaking at 70 km/h according to BOM. Hit the kerb at one stage but managed to get my foot out in time to avoid a clip stack.

Chickened out at the Old Fremantle Traffic Bridge and took to the path ... the fence is higher :)

Oh , then got into a "discussion" with a Transperth bus driver who thought it was smart to turn left from my right as she pulled up along side. If she hadn't abused me as I continued riding after yelling in fright I would have kept riding and just left it at that. Stupidly I stopped and she stopped ... Video should be entaining :) I think she missed out on the customer relationships training. Telling her repeatedly I was filming didn't seem to register as the language shows :) ... Mind you I did loose my cool a bit and suggested she learn the road rules ... that didn't help.

My little experience ties in with my view that Fremantle Transperth drivers are the worse. One knocked a cyclist of her bike at the roundabout near the Freo Hospital. I have had the odd close call with them pre-video days.

Andrew

Trepidious

Postby Trepidious » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:49 am

The wind's good fun with panniers, it's like adding a sail to the rear of your bike.

A pretty eventful 24 hours.

Got caught riding home at 8pmish last night by one of the many fronts which may have contributed to my seized chain links jumping from 1 to 2-3. Adding to that I'm due for a new set of cleats, pedals and shoes my feet were flying off every 50 metres or so. I made it home alright, took off the chain with the quick link and gave it a quick wash in the darkness except I managed to lose one half of the link... bugger it and went to bed.

Got up this morning, managed to find the link, lubed up the chain and found that I only had the one seized link. Tried my best to fix it before rushing to work, thought I'd make it fine but the seized link broke off when climbing over the bridge due north of Stirling Train Station. Thanks to the awesome rider who stopped - no idea if you're on here but you have no idea how much grief you saved me - he fitted up the chain with another removable link and I went on my way. Not to miss out on the fun though my rear light failed as I left work tonight, fortunately made it through Perth and Northbridge in one piece.

Last run in made it worthwhile though. Cycling north on Erindale Road towards the Balcatta Road lights where Bunnings was there was a marked police car on the side of the road. As it was out of peak hour I was the only one on the road they waved me over to stop. I'm used to it on my motorbike but it was a first for me on the pushy. Turns out they thought I was a scooter, thankyou Ay-Ups 8)

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:52 am

Went to ride this morning, got out the door roads were dry wind SW and strong not really inviting at 5am :( Chain sounded bad from the drowing the morning before then it belted down. I had no rain jacket so went back home and has a shower :) :) Total trip distance 400m

MM

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:55 am

Marty Moose wrote:Went to ride this morning, got out the door roads were dry wind SW and strong not really inviting at 5am :( Chain sounded bad from the drowing the morning before then it belted down. I had no rain jacket so went back home and has a shower :) :) Total trip distance 400m
Classic :)

Andrew

backslashio

Postby backslashio » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:38 pm

Woke up, heard rain, went back to sleep

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:24 pm

Trepidious wrote: Not to miss out on the fun though my rear light failed as I left work tonight, fortunately made it through Perth and Northbridge in one piece.
Get a backup/emergency light and save yourself the grief. Cheap LED lights do nicely and are about $5 a pair on DealExtreme.

I have a secondary font+ rear light on all my bikes.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:54 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:You are right - Perth weather is not supposed to be like this. It is certainly the longest stretch of storm I recall. Usually in Perth a rainy day is any day where it rained at some point.
If you look at the long term rainfall data Perth is supposed to be the wettest city in Australia by quite a margin in July and August. We've just had a bit of a drought for the last 40 years or so.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:21 pm

mikedufty wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:You are right - Perth weather is not supposed to be like this. It is certainly the longest stretch of storm I recall. Usually in Perth a rainy day is any day where it rained at some point.
If you look at the long term rainfall data Perth is supposed to be the wettest city in Australia by quite a margin in July and August. We've just had a bit of a drought for the last 40 years or so.
My neighbours who have lived in Bayswater for 79 & 80 years can remember the heavy rain of 1945 (842 mm in 10 weeks) which resulted in several houses on Garratt Road near the bridge being under water to roof level and on the other side of the bridge the whole of what is now Ascot Waters being under water.
Perth has become careless about building on flood plains but one day...
Too old to live, too slow to die.

zues

Postby zues » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Mikedufty wrote
+1
People have short memories. Trees have been dying this summer.
We just got an average rainfall for JUly!
We got <600mm in the hills last year.
I have a 6m well which should be full of water at this time of the year-last week it was dry :cry: Check today and now there's a puddle at the bottom :)

sli123

Postby sli123 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:45 pm

zues wrote:Mikedufty wrote
+1
People have short memories. Trees have been dying this summer.
We just got an average rainfall for JUly!
We got <600mm in the hills last year.
I have a 6m well which should be full of water at this time of the year-last week it was dry :cry: Check today and now there's a puddle at the bottom :)
Yes, obviously I either brought the rain with me or my timing sucks. I seem to recall listening to Perth weather reports earlier this year with a month of +30 temps and no real rain between January and June. Not good for the gardens or the water tanks/wells, but pretty handy if you cycle.

Looking forward to the blue skies that are forecast for the next few days :D 8) 8)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:23 am

I think if you have to go back to 1945 to show how we really are wet and that we are forgetful then I think that supports very well the premise that the current spell is not very typical.

This last fortnight is a bummer.

To Perth people a wet day is a day when it rained at some point. In other places a wet day is when it is hard to avoid being rained upon. In the first 18 months of riding the unicycle, pretty much daily and sans wet weather protection, I called my wife twice to pick me up. The rest of the time I just waited under a bus shelter for ten minutes. In this spell that strategy would see me spending the night in that bus shelter.

But I am led to believe that we will have a good weekend. I am looking forward to lots of bikes passing me then.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

backslashio

Postby backslashio » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:48 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:But I am led to believe that we will have a good weekend. I am looking forward to lots of bikes passing me then.
Colin, not sure if you saw this in the MS Adventure thread but I made this comic directed at you :P

http://home.exetel.com.au/backslashio/bike.jpg

I'm hoping for good weather tomorrow too, its been weeks now since I've gone more than 1km :(

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:44 am

backslashio wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:But I am led to believe that we will have a good weekend. I am looking forward to lots of bikes passing me then.
Colin, not sure if you saw this in the MS Adventure thread but I made this comic directed at you :P

http://home.exetel.com.au/backslashio/bike.jpg

I'm hoping for good weather tomorrow too, its been weeks now since I've gone more than 1km :(
No I hadn't seen it. And thanks, I'm flattered. Though I feel a great disservice to the great hubert.

I do occasionally pass people on long smooth up-slopes but that is a more a reflection on the other guy than it is a credit to me. :)

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Colin I think that you need to try extreme unicycling
http://vimeo.com/23367221
Might help you cope with what the weather has been throwing about, of course you may end up missing a few choice body parts.

Speaking of which, in this weird local weather I've had problems with honky nuts, mostly getting floated together into rafts on the side of the road and moving downhill in the bike lanes (called 'gutters' in other places). Tomorrow I'll try sweeping a few of these away on some of the path and roads that I use. Hopefully this action won't invoke more rain. 4 weeks to Spring.

backslashio

Postby backslashio » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Kwinana Freeway is pretty clean now, they must've cleaned it in the morning/yesterday

Went for a 3 hour bikeride from Shelley to Kings Park & then towards Burswood on my CRX (wanted to ride a bit more comfortably). Nice weather although a bit cold for SS jerseys, the sun didn't really warm up my arms

sli123

Postby sli123 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:55 pm

backslashio wrote:Kwinana Freeway is pretty clean now, they must've cleaned it in the morning/yesterday
Yeah, It was pretty clean today. Well done to those responsible. A much better effort than the guy who rolled his 4 wheel drive through the barriers and onto the path not far from South Perth area at around lunch time. Wonder what happened there??
backslashio wrote:Went for a 3 hour bikeride from Shelley to Kings Park & then towards Burswood on my CRX (wanted to ride a bit more comfortably). Nice weather although a bit cold for SS jerseys, the sun didn't really warm up my arms
+1, great weather today. Yay!

Dr Hackenbush

Postby Dr Hackenbush » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:15 am

sli123 wrote:
Yes, obviously I either brought the rain with me or my timing sucks. I seem to recall listening to Perth weather reports earlier this year with a month of +30 temps and no real rain between January and June. Not good for the gardens or the water tanks/wells, but pretty handy if you cycle.

Looking forward to the blue skies that are forecast for the next few days :D 8) 8)
Watch what you wish for. Last summer we had months on end of 45-50 days not too far up the Gt Nthn Hwy. It's ~10 degrees warmer up here than in Perth during the hot months.
The rain is more than welcome after last years barren winter. I'd hate to count how many big Marri trees we lost this year it would be more than 20 though. :shock:
2011 Avanti TdF.
198x Repco Superlite

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:46 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:Colin I think that you need to try extreme unicycling
http://vimeo.com/23367221
Might help you cope with what the weather has been throwing about, of course you may end up missing a few choice body parts.

Speaking of which, in this weird local weather I've had problems with honky nuts, mostly getting floated together into rafts on the side of the road and moving downhill in the bike lanes (called 'gutters' in other places). Tomorrow I'll try sweeping a few of these away on some of the path and roads that I use. Hopefully this action won't invoke more rain. 4 weeks to Spring.
Extreme is so overused these days but with there is much unicycling that certainly deserves the tag.

On topic, Perth weather is so mild. While we complain about the current spell, it really just shows how NON-extreme Perth weather is. the last time that I did NOT ride to work was Nov 6, 2008! (And even then, the weather had nothing to do with Novemer 5.) That's nearly three years. Storms? What storms?

roller

Postby roller » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:16 pm

this weekend has been near perfect.

onya perth, keep up the good work.
inflammatory statement or idea

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:57 pm

Got rained on early this morning expecting a wet day and now this Sun :( :( Can't believe it. Gives me time to bleach my shoes they stink from always being wet :)

MM