mtb legends

dobbin33ch

mtb legends

Postby dobbin33ch » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:42 pm

after reading an article on mtb riders ,i ask myself WHO IS THEE REAL MTB LEGEND. i am lucky enough to have seen most riders from the early 90s till now ,my mtb legend has to be 1st thomas (frischi) frischknecht 2nd Miguel (mighty mouse)Martinez and 3rd Julien Absalon . but i will always remember Henrik(henk) Djernis as a great ,whats your opinions on this :?: :?:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 pm

Tinker...how old is that man!.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:29 am

Overall, prolly Nico Voulloz (sp) Frog DHer. Made a babys bum look like 20 grit emery cloth in Cairns 96. Love watching the blokes or girls who can flow anything. Sam Hill's a fair bit that way as well. Lotsa the ladies do it smooth too.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:10 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Tinker...how old is that man!.
About my age... :evil:

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:13 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Tinker...how old is that man!.
48, just looks older.

bob2200

Re: mtb legends

Postby bob2200 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:47 am

My personal favorite is Absalon. http://www.olympic.org/mountain-bike-cross-country-men Here's a video of him getting gold.

mtbmikey

Postby mtbmikey » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Sam Hill! :mrgreen:

markusm

Postby markusm » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:01 pm

Cadel Evans...... Well thats where he started apparently :)

Repack Rider

Postby Repack Rider » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:50 am

Here is the first video ever shot of the sport them would eventually be called "mountain biking." The hippie in the picture below is named Gary Fisher, and he predicts that the sport will go a long way.

Filmed in California in 1979.

trickle

Postby trickle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:08 am

Wow, nice dig up on that vid repack rider. Haven't heard the term "repack" used for a long while :wink:

I cant believe the greats likeTom Ritchey, John Tomac,Ned Overend, Missy Giove (the missile!!!), Myles Rockwell etc have not been mentioned!

Miguel Martinez is a fav of mine also, loved watching him and Cadel go for it back in the day. Miguel comes from good breading stock, dad was a TDF stage and KOM winner!

HAKS

Re:

Postby HAKS » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Overall, prolly Nico Voulloz (sp) Frog DHer
I was going to say him, remember having my wall covered in posters of him on his Sunn bike in the late 90's. Anne-Caroline Chausson was the other one that popped into my head. Rode for the same (Sunn) team. Then comes Missy Giove, she was also a bit of a wacky one :P. Think i had a few pics of Paola Pezzo on my schoolbooks as well :lol:
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

trickle

Re: Re:

Postby trickle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:32 pm

HAKS wrote:Then comes Missy Giove, she was also a bit of a wacky one :P.
The couple hundred pounds of pot the cops found her transporting are testament to this :P

trickle

Postby trickle » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Repack Rider wrote:Here is the first video ever shot of the sport them would eventually be called "mountain biking." The hippie in the picture below is named Gary Fisher, and he predicts that the sport will go a long way.

Filmed in California in 1979.

Holy crap!!!
you are THAT guy!?!?

Thank you Mr Kelly and thank you to your fellow enthusiasts for without your involvement our sport may never have happened.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:50 pm

trickle wrote:
Holy crap!!!
you are THAT guy!?!?

Thank you Mr Kelly and thank you to your fellow enthusiasts for without your involvement our sport may never have happened.
He gets around.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 pm

Here's the website:

http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

Thanks for sharing... I had no idea :oops:

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:59 am

Francis Birtles.

"In 1907-08 he cycled from Melbourne to Sydney and then, via Brisbane, Normanton, Darwin, Alice Springs and Adelaide back to Sydney, where he was thereafter based. In 1909 he published the story of his feat, Lonely Lands, which he illustrated with his own photographs. That year he set a new cycling record for the Fremantle to Sydney continental crossing, then in 1910-11 rode around Australia. In 1911 he was accompanied from Sydney to Darwin by R. Primmer, cameraman for the Gaumont Co.: Across Australia was released next year. Birtles had continued on to Broome and Perth, then lowered his record by riding from Fremantle to Sydney in thirty-one days. By 1912 he had cycled around Australia twice and had crossed the continent seven times."

Much of Birtles' journying wasn't done on roads ... there weren't roads. He certainly is the Legend when it comes to off-roading. He followed stock routes and when there weren't routes he followed his compass. He was also the first white man seen by several northern tribes, who even tried to kill him on a few occasions. A true Legend.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:01 am

Another shot of Francis Birtles ... how could you not be an MTB XC legend when you look like this. I'm guessing that is a compass on his wrist.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

biftek

Postby biftek » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:47 pm

WarrenH wrote:Another shot of Francis Birtles ... how could you not be an MTB XC legend when you look like this. I'm guessing that is a compass on his wrist.

Warren.
or a power band

holy !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! , what an affort

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:34 am

WarrenH wrote:Francis Birtles.

Sadly....the days when we could easily and legally mount a sawn-off rifle to our front forks are long gone.....

...but I will definitely bow to the Birtles.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle