Commute Pictures.

Marto

Re: Commute Pictures.

Postby Marto » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:48 am

Max wrote:Marto, that looks like Oxley Rd, heading away from the Ipswich Motorway end towards the Indooroopilly bridge. Can you tell me what traffic is like heading in the other direction at that time of morning? It's one of the longer routes I'm considering for my ride to work.

Max
That's right Max. I commute the length of Oxley Road (it is called Wharf Street at it's northernmost 2km). There are not many cars going the other way (outbound or south direction) and there are bike lanes on the northern end. You would have to cross the road (and city bound traffic) at the end of the bridge bike path, and 20 meters from there watch for cars coming from your left at the first intersection (they nearly never check to from bikes heading outbound). Lots of bike/car incidents there. They are the major danger points heading south. Oh, and the school drop off area (and associated dooring dangers) 3km down the road. Don't let that scare ya- it's okay by Brisbane standards :wink:

How far along Oxley Road are you going?

Max

Postby Max » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Marto, all the way up to Bannerman St, then following service roads parallel to the Ipswich Motorway inbound until Donaldson Rd. Then I turn off to go to Archerfield.

Thanks for letting me know RE traffic. I might have to give it a try on a regular weekday :)

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 pm

Brisbane River at Chelmer this morning at 8:30am. Photo from the bike bridge there. Lovely weather for winter.

The barge is working on boat pontoons damaged by the January floods. You can see the trees to the right of shot are bent downstream due to the flood.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:32 pm

I LOVE that video marto, exactly the reason i wish i worked down in brisbane, i only get about 8k riding with traffic on my commute into Noosa.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:17 pm

Marto wrote:
familyguy wrote: Nice to beat a line of traffic up a hill like that.

Jim
It is great, and hard not to be smug (or to not show it anyway :D ).

Here is a video of the same sort of thing on my commute. Could cause motion sickness (2x speed) or extreme boredom, but it shows the only way to reliably commute on this road in peak hour:
My brother suggested watching this video while listening to the Benny Hill theme, and it's hilarious!

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:06 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Marto wrote:
familyguy wrote: Nice to beat a line of traffic up a hill like that.

Jim
My brother suggested watching this video while listening to the Benny Hill theme, and it's hilarious!
I thought that myself, even though there isn't the little old guy to chase and smack on the head. I might just redo it with that as music. Of course the joke is on the cars :lol:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:05 pm

This is a really cool thread, one of the best things about commuting on a bike is being able to check out the scenery that's usually a blur in a car.
I start in Kin Kin

The other side of town (we're very proud of our little tunnel of pine trees)

Going up the Kin Kin Range, about 2.5k up like this and 2k down but not as twisty, average gradient isn't particularly steep so it's quite fun.

The view from the top of the range, looking over the Pinbarren Valley (very beautiful and lush up the top-to the right of frame), Mt Pinbarren in the centre with the sunrise just on it.

The same spot but looking a little further east so you can see Mt Cooroora (where i am heading)

I didn't get any more pictures myself this morning (my gloves got wet with sweat and then froze my fingers, i was in a terrible state when i reached work), so i grabbed this off google, i come up the road in the foreground.

Then through Yurol Forest to Cooroy (ugly coarse chip and shoulders FILLED with loose gravel/glass) and on to Noosa on the road that many may have seen from the Noosa Triathlon, managed 82kmh down Tinbeerwah hill this morning :-).
Coming through the Pinbarren valley early in the morning is really special, sometimes there's fog about, cows in the paddocks alongside the road, roos here and there, it puts you in a good mood :-).

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:52 am

This was my commute in BNE yesterday. Sheer hell! :mrgreen:

Marto

Postby Marto » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:01 am

ldrcycles wrote:This is a really cool thread, one of the best things about commuting on a bike is being able to check out the scenery that's usually a blur in a car.
I start in Kin Kin
Then through Yurol Forest to Cooroy (ugly coarse chip and shoulders FILLED with loose gravel/glass) and on to Noosa on the road that many may have seen from the Noosa Triathlon, managed 82kmh down Tinbeerwah hill this morning :-).
Coming through the Pinbarren valley early in the morning is really special, sometimes there's fog about, cows in the paddocks alongside the road, roos here and there, it puts you in a good mood :-).
Great Photos ldr! I really like that area. :D

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Old Hume Highway Bowral on a cool winters afternoon. I swear it gets steeper every day. At least there is not many cars this way.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Not a great verge either! Man that looks cold!

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:41 pm

ldrcycles wrote:This is a really cool thread, one of the best things about commuting on a bike is being able to check out the scenery that's usually a blur in a car.
I start in Kin Kin

I didn't get any more pictures myself this morning (my gloves got wet with sweat and then froze my fingers, i was in a terrible state when i reached work), so i grabbed this off google, i come up the road in the foreground.
That, plus Wahpunga lane and a few other bits on the way home from Cooroy, was last Sundays ride from Noosa. Good ride but as the roads were wet my knicks felt a bit like a full nappy when I got home.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Marto wrote:
I thought that myself, even though there isn't the little old guy to chase and smack on the head. I might just redo it with that as music. Of course the joke is on the cars :lol:
You have to do it that would be classic. I think everyone of those drivers needs to see that video too. Why would you drive in that crap????

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:10 pm

A shot of my extra 9km loop I sometimes do on the way home. Lucky if I see even 1 car.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Nice to see the days getting longer. This is on my route home - Centennial Vineyard Bowral. Made me think of CommuRider and her amateur onanism. :P

iPhone 4 pic

mekore

Postby mekore » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:17 am

public toilet on my way home. the light is on, but it was closed!!! :evil:

somewhere near epping northern hospital, i dont commute there anymore, but the route( i was living in the city) started my love affair with cycling :D

route home from bike shop, what a superb location for a bike shop..

route home from my butcher. after minutes of swearing riding in rain, the rainbow made me smile... cant afford not to capture it

maDKient

Commute Pictures.

Postby maDKient » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:00 am

Flat tyre on the M5, near Kingsgrove exit!

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:57 pm

maDKient wrote:Image

I really like that photo. It really summs up bicycle commuting. :D :D :D

Here is a photo of the sunset tonight, close to the Inala Tavern (of all places!), taken with by video cam. Of course this doesn't show the colours properly, but here it is anyway:

maDKient

Postby maDKient » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:28 pm

Marto wrote:
maDKient wrote:
I really like that photo. It really summs up bicycle commuting. :D :D :D

Here is a photo of the sunset tonight, close to the Inala Tavern (of all places!), taken with by video cam. Of course this doesn't show the colours properly, but here it is anyway:
Unfortunately this has been a recurring experience, with an average flat once per day.

Conti GP4000s and hand pumps have been ordered and am currently awaiting.

Beautiful sunset there Marto!

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:03 am

[quote="maDKient"]

Unfortunately this has been a recurring experience, with an average flat once per day.

Conti GP4000s and hand pumps have been ordered and am currently awaiting.../quote]

I've had a pair of Conti GP4000s in a box in the shed for 2 years (ish), to put on after my Michelin Krylions have had their day. There might be a new model from Conti by that time, as the Krylions are going just fine after at least 8000km. They just don't get flats either, despite lots of broken glass etc on my commute. Wonderful tyres!

munga

Postby munga » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:25 pm

Marto wrote:
welcome to vietnala. just cropped out the bottleshop there. balsa st is nice repeats

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:07 am

Mugglechops wrote:A shot of my extra 9km loop I sometimes do on the way home. Lucky if I see even 1 car.

Gee, I wonder why! :roll: Do you ever get any bigger traffic when you're out there??

Jim

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:03 pm

munga wrote:
Marto wrote:
welcome to vietnala. just cropped out the bottleshop there. balsa st is nice repeats
Ah, you know it well. I found Balsa Street a while ago by accident (trying to follow someone who left hooked me into it :evil: ), then I thought "this ain't too bad". I commute home along Archerfield Street after that, which has nice repeat possibilities at the water tank hill near Maccas and the water tower hill at Forest Lake. Dodgy people at night, though...

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:39 pm

familyguy wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:A shot of my extra 9km loop I sometimes do on the way home. Lucky if I see even 1 car.

Gee, I wonder why! :roll: Do you ever get any bigger traffic when you're out there??

Jim

Yeah, like a Hercules?
2010 BMC SLC01

baarg

Postby baarg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:45 am

Marto wrote:
munga wrote:
Marto wrote:
Ah, you know it well. I found Balsa Street a while ago by accident (trying to follow someone who left hooked me into it :evil: ), then I thought "this ain't too bad". I commute home along Archerfield Street after that, which has nice repeat possibilities at the water tank hill near Maccas and the water tower hill at Forest Lake. Dodgy people at night, though...
Dodgy people?! I don't consider myself dodgy! Which water tank are you talking about? Are you referring to the hill that extends along Archerfield Rd from the Maccas in the corner of Archefield and Progress to the very end?