Need opinion for first road bike

suencien

Postby suencien » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi guys,

I noticed there's now a sale at wiggle and so I decide to get my first road bike.

From the so many choices, I managed to pick three that are most suitable for my budget. The only problem is picking the best one out of the three. I so so need your expert opinion on this one.

They are:
- Prorace Moros Ultegra 2011
- Moser Bikes 111 Ultegra 2011
- BH Bikes Prisma 7.8 Ultegra 2011

Which one would you pick if you were me?

Thank you for your help guys! :)

Cheers,

Andry

mtb159

Re: Need opinion for first road bike

Postby mtb159 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:57 pm

If possible I would go to a bike shop and look, sit or ride each of those bikes to see what you think is the best for you.

Alex

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:32 pm

None of the above. If you can't work it out by yourself, you need to buy some professional advice at a nearby LBS.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

toppity

Postby toppity » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:59 pm

I'd be buggered if I'd buy a bike from overseas. If something goes wrong I want to be able to get it fixed on the spot at the LBS. LBS helps with tweeking the setup and making sure everything is correct before you go as well.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

toppity

Postby toppity » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Oh yeah....if is was looking for a first bike i'd get a CAAD10 with 105. They should be cheap around the traps at the moment.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:09 pm

+1 to buying your first bike locally. Only buy a bike sight unseen from the other side of the world if you know exactly what dimensions you need. Try having a look on Bike Exchange to see what deals are available locally. 2012 models are starting to hit the stores so the bargains will be out there.

And keep in mind that if you do go down the Wiggle path, anything over $1k will attract extra charges from customs (GST at least, I think complete bikes may be exempt from import duties, but don't hold me to that)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:40 am

Never buy a whole bike online unless you really know how to set one up and you are confident in what dimensions you need. It's a big mistake if you do.

A decent LBS will not only look after you but be there to tweak it as time goes by. Warranty concerns too are all sorted out.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

brendeng

Postby brendeng » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:33 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Try having a look on Bike Exchange to see what deals are available locally. 2012 models are starting to hit the stores so the bargains will be out there.

And keep in mind that if you do go down the Wiggle path, anything over $1k will attract extra charges from customs (GST at least, I think complete bikes may be exempt from import duties, but don't hold me to that)
These points are both excellent advice.

I asked customs about importing a bike when I got my Look 695, they told me to be on a safe side with GST and Import Duty to bank on 20% on top of purchase price for charges on the way in to Australia.

Bike Exchange is a great place to find a bargain, and it is the right time of year for them.

The other suggestions about needing to know your size and dimensions, and to the millimeter are also right when It comes to getting a bike, if you make a mistake on size and have to send it back, most places will make you cover all the return costs, or if you need to change bars, stems, cranks etc etc etc to make it fit then it turns out not to be a great bargin.

Giant offers great value for money in Australia (that was my first bike), check out your local Giant dealer, you could be surprised !!

(I will qualify this advice by saying I got my first bike at a local bike shop, built my next 2 after buying frames in Australia, but all parts oversea’s, then got my most recent as a complete bike in Australia through bikeexchange as I couldn’t have built it myself through parts from oversea’s at anywhere near the same price)
Fondriest TF2, Dura-Ace, Deda Cockpit, TWE 50 Carbon Clincher wheelset, Gore Cables, Elite Cages, Selle Italia SLR Team
Look 695 SR, Dura-Ace Di2, FSA Carbon Bars, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's, Elite Cages, Prologo Nago Evo

Seabreeze

Postby Seabreeze » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:12 pm

brendeng wrote:Giant offers great value for money in Australia (that was my first bike), check out your local Giant dealer, you could be surprised !!
+1

Buy the best Giant you can afford!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:10 pm

My LBS says the same thing. New models on the way and things at the shops are quiet after people have spent their tax refunds!

August/September is is good haggling time. When the weather warms up, they are less likely to bargain!
Last edited by ValleyForge on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Dr.Nate

Postby Dr.Nate » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:38 pm

+1 for the best giant you can afford,

Just bought my first road bike a Giant defy composite 2012 and I'm very happy... Great comfort for someone new to road bikes. The guys at mc cyclery were great in their help etc ....

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:55 pm

I saw a Defy Composite 3 with 10 speed Tiagra today (black) for $1,700. Thinking this would be a great first road bike.

But something inside me lusts after a CAAD10!

Mainee

Postby Mainee » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:30 am

A Giant Defy 1 2010 was my first road bike after deciding to get some extra miles in the legs to help with training for the Otway Odyssey. I enjoyed the road bike so much, that I've recently upgraded to a full carbon Ultegra bike.

So I guess my advice would to be buy something that is going to allow you to enjoy riding, but not put you too much out of pocket if you don't stick with it.

But be aware that you'll probably want to upgrade your first road bike with 12-24 months after buying. I always like getting new toys.

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:36 pm

The moser looks like the best option to me from the bikes you are showing, however I buy all my bikes locally because of the service. Can I just say that I purchased my first bike from my lbs in 2009 for its full price. After buying four bikes over the past years I purchased a new bike today for 40% off all because of my relationship with my lbs. It may not be worth it now, but when you upgrade (and you will upgrade) it will be worth it then. . . .
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:49 pm

stinhambo wrote:I saw a Defy Composite 3 with 10 speed Tiagra today (black) for $1,700. Thinking this would be a great first road bike.
Happened to be in a local Giant dealer today who has 20% all road bikes... incl. 2012 stock... these are $1360... amazing price!
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area