Graecross 'Courier'

Tozzie

Graecross 'Courier'

Postby Tozzie » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi guys

I'm extremely new to this game, but highly interested and keen to build my own mens fixed gear. I just went to my local recycling depot and found a Graecross 'Courier' but i don't have much of an idea on what a good frame is. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on this bicycle and give me some direction on whether i should pay the $10 to buy the bike and get tinkering or just keep digging around.

I do have a photo of it but a little unsure on how to upload it ????

scrubnbash

Re: Graecross 'Courier'

Postby scrubnbash » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:16 pm

By the looks of things that kind of bike is fine for a fixie conversion. Make sure it fits you first.
Things to be wary of:
The frame will probably take 27" wheels. Modern wheels are 700c (8 mm smaller in diameter), with a few fairly cost prohibitive exceptions. Result = if you put modern wheels on the frame then modern brake calipers are unlikely to reach the rim. This can be got around if you don't mid using the brake calipers that are already on the bike, they'll usually reach - you just wont stop terribly well. Or you can get long reach brake (not all of them will reach). Or you can make a drop bolt > http://www.bikesmoveus.com.au/showthread.php?t=4557, then you can mount whatever brake you want.
It's likely to have a older / cheaper style crankset. The largest chainring will be permanently attached to the drive-side crank. This isn't a terribly bad thing just means you may have to buy a huge rear sprocket to lower the gear. Or buy a new / different crankset.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:16 pm

That was the first bike I ever bought with my own money. From memory it had 27inch wheels and a Hi-tensile steel frame. For $10 you can't go wrong, I did 2 Great Victorian Bike Rides on mine.

Tozzie

Postby Tozzie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:21 pm

Thankyou for your help..

I've heard this frame is made from Hi Tensile steel...but is this a good thing or bad thing? by the sounds of things everyone wants a light bike? for me personally i'd only be cruising ...using my bike to ride a 10km return trip to my local shops and its all flat cycle way so no need for speed..

I'm thinking the plan would be to buy a set of 700c and a new crank set. and then once i discover more about this new hobby i can upgrade my frame..

I also saw an apollo 2 bike at the local recycling depot.. would this be a better frame?

how do i measure a frame to my body size with out pulling out a tape measure? does it have to reach a certain point on my body?

I'm sorry for all the crappy questions but i'm from a small coastal town and no one knows much about bicycles here, but i'm interested in tinkering.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 pm

All other things equal, the frame weight doesn't make a huge difference. You'll make greater weight savings with quality wheels, alloy stem, alloy seat-post, etc. Don't get sucked into the weight fetish.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

scrubnbash

Postby scrubnbash » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Couldn't find much about apollo 2s. The few pics I found had forged rather than stamped drops - usually a good sign.
I have a fixie that's a high ten repco traveller and a 12 speed that's nicer italian columbus steel. They end up weighing about the same because of all the extra running gear on the 12 speed. For single speeds weight doesn't seem to be a big deal.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:14 pm

I've an Apollo II. Done at least 100000Km's on it in the last 23 years. Replaced everything on the frame, sometimes several times but the frame's still going strong!

Sent from my Stream using Tapatalk

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:28 pm

i'm actually thinking of restoring my graecross courier as it has the bolts on the down tube for gear changing. still. doesn't look too shabby at all after a powdercoat!