TWO FLATS ARRGGHHHHHH

ShanDog

TWO FLATS ARRGGHHHHHH

Postby ShanDog » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:24 pm

So I just did a 25km ride in roughly 1 hour. It was a leisurly ride (because of the flatness not the effort) from thompsons corner down the m2 to delhi road and back again. Get this, I had two flats, count them two flats, on the same tyre.

It turns out that one of my old pinch flats had left a tiny ding in the rim about 2mm long but had left a tiny metal spike that slowly dug through the tread and into the tube. I think a little sand paper will solve the problem (if anyone thinks i should just get a new rim let me know, I'd rather not be at risk of an accident but the ding is really tiny). On the brighter side of things, I can now change a tyre in about two mins flat not including pumping time!!! woohoo go me!!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:45 pm

What with you and your brother providing you with work on the bikes you'll be the resident expert soon.

As for the ding, file it down and see what happens. The rim could be cracked but probably not. Wouldn't hurt to start looking at rims and wheels though, that way, if you find you do need to make a change, you've got your homework done but to be honest, I don't think you'll need it.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:47 pm

More than one flat on a ride does happen. Thats why we carry patches.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

531db

Postby 531db » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:54 am

'More than one flat on a ride does happen'

Thats why I carry 3 spare tubes.....

However I rarely have more than one puncture on a ride, and I rarely have punctures. I always have a good look to see why the puncture occurred in the first place and remove any glass, metal or other cause before reinstalling a fresh tube.

Hoping I have'nt jinxed myself by mentioning the 'p' word......

europa

Postby europa » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:08 am

531db wrote:Hoping I have'nt jinxed myself by mentioning the 'p' word......
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:38 pm

Had one this arvo :x

Damn broken glass always seems to find any gaps in a tread :roll:

amattinson

Postby amattinson » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:41 pm

Had 3 punctures today and had to get rescued by the wife. I was trying for a 200km week but that got shot by the puncture monkey. I think my tubes are all getting to the point of disposal. Someone else has mentioned the 3 strikes rule for tubes and based on my experiences recently (puncture every ride) I'll go with the rule and buy tubes in bulk.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:17 pm

amattinson wrote:Had 3 punctures today and had to get rescued by the wife. I was trying for a 200km week but that got shot by the puncture monkey. I think my tubes are all getting to the point of disposal. Someone else has mentioned the 3 strikes rule for tubes and based on my experiences recently (puncture every ride) I'll go with the rule and buy tubes in bulk.
This is why I carry patches and know how to apply them correctly. One spare is all I need.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:46 pm

mikesbytes wrote: This is why I carry patches and know how to apply them correctly. One spare is all I need.
How many patches before you bin the tube?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:00 am

Mulger bill wrote:
mikesbytes wrote: This is why I carry patches and know how to apply them correctly. One spare is all I need.
How many patches before you bin the tube?
Don't really have a rule. If the tyre looks old, it get binned, even if it has zero patches.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:42 am

Yep... I love the old "sharp rim that punctures tyres" trick. It got me before as well.... after 500 metres when the tube goes down again something fishy is happening.

In your rims, make sure you have the rubber / table over the spokes and check that the spokes are not poking through. Check for debris that may have slipped into the rim and finally check for damage and sharp edges to the side of the rim.

Spare bits of rubber or cloth or even a patch can be stuck on top of rough areas of the rim if you don't have a file handy. Sometimes even a rock can be (gently) used to file back a rim if it is a bit sharp as a temporary measure.

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:03 pm

And be careful about running your fingers around inside a tyre looking for sharp things - you'll find them but the blood makes putting the tyre back on a messy business :shock:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:10 am

europa wrote:And be careful about running your fingers around inside a tyre looking for sharp things - you'll find them but the blood makes putting the tyre back on a messy business :shock:
Owww yeah! First look happens with gloves on.

tuco

Postby tuco » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:17 am

I just joined this elite group of two punctures on one ride.
Luckily (if you can call a second puncture luck) the second was only 300 metres from home.

Same wheel in the same position. The first was a safety pin and the second was broken glass.

scottyj

Postby scottyj » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:39 am

I live in Cairns where every roundabout is an obstacle course. My latest record was 4 flats in 24 hours. After this I took the advice of lbs and "double tyred" my rear wheel. Basically, this involved cutting off the wire and most of the sidewall from an old tyre and putting it inside a new one. Seems to work fine and no punctures yet.