The Trouble With Fixies

munga

Re: The Trouble With Fixies

Postby munga » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:49 pm

hartleymartin wrote:I'm thinking of going fixed gear with a large frame and a roadster style bicycle. That way people won't joy-ride off with it. Two of my bikes got pinched from college last semester.
security skewers and a better bike lock. seems a heck of a compromise to go fixed to deter theives.
'oh no, its a fixie! how will i ever throw that in the back of my ute?'

Jonboi1978

Postby Jonboi1978 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:42 pm

bA HAHAHAH...
but on the plush side it is getting much easier to colour match your stolen fixi in the back of the ute with ya pink fuffy dice.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Oxford wrote:Pedal, strike, scares the absolute brownies out of you when it happens.
+1

Pedal strike is scary. Always seems to attack right when you are not expecting it.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

scrubnbash

Postby scrubnbash » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:24 pm

I've only 'tickled' the ground every so often on the fixed. Shaved a bunch of alloy off my pedals but no brownies have been lost as yet.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:14 am

Yeh, I've only touched down once on the fixie, though I've done it numerous times on the road bike. The reason being is that the fixie has a higher BB
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

suff

Postby suff » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:54 pm

ghettro wrote:Nothing wrong with fixed gear, but I agree with "fixies" being stupid as in no brakes, stupidly narrow bars and aerospokes. That is retarded.
Sorry, have to whole heartedly agree... Aero spokes are just stupid IMHO!!!! Happy to be proven wrong, but I see them serving no benefit on a fg on the road? Track maybe a different story...
Commuter - Bianchi Pista
MTB - Bianchi Jab 7400
Trainer- Bianchi S9 Matta Reparto Titanium
Weekender - Colnago CX-1 - SRAM Red - FFWD

munga

Postby munga » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:03 pm

aerospokes look cool. like tuffs on your bmx when you were 9.
10" wide bars, on the other hand..

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:53 pm

suff wrote:
ghettro wrote:. Aero spokes are just stupid IMHO!!!! Happy to be proven wrong, but I see them serving no benefit on a fg on the road? Track maybe a different story...
Yeah, but they are fashionable, and that always over rides sense and taste.

I just think they are heavy and cumbersome for stop start urban cycling, but the cool factor is obviously worth more to the kids.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 pm

ya know what shits me about riding fixed?
When you get an itchy ankle,and you can't stop pedalling and coast with said ankle at 12 o clock position and scratch the bastard.
instead you have to dab at it as it spins past or completely stop,and that sucks.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:55 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:ya know what shits me about riding fixed?
When you get an itchy ankle,and you can't stop pedalling and coast with said ankle at 12 o clock position and scratch the bastard.
instead you have to dab at it as it spins past or completely stop,and that sucks.
Haha true. Imagine how funny that must look as well to some pedestrian walking past. 8)

I had similar issues getting my water bottle out/in for the first few months, still do occasionally. It's hard when you're going faster and trying to put the bottle back in the cage and your legs are banging your arms around. I normally just stop on the side of the path/road and have a drink and then go on my merry way.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Get on my level!
:lol: Mine isn't quite as colorful as that, but you can be sure nobody's taking off on a ride that color. Alot of new science goes to show that the eccentric braking action improves neuromuscular (and possibly improve muscular) strength. Can't say that's a plus though when I've just finished cranking hard so a dude ready to turn right across my path won't have to wait much longer, sitting down for a rest - then forgetting I'm on the fixie..
What are these salesmen peddling?

paolo_ski

Postby paolo_ski » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:31 am

pretty keen to swap my roadie to a single speed, just need to acquire the required knowledge and parts..

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:15 am

paolo_ski wrote:pretty keen to swap my roadie to a single speed, just need to acquire the required knowledge and parts..
Why not keep the roadie and get a fixie as well
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

paolo_ski

Postby paolo_ski » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:27 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Why not keep the roadie and get a fixie as well
To cut a long (but cliche) story short: Money.

But yes one day I do plan on getting a fixie because they look quite fun. Been trying to get my girlfriend into riding and I was going to make her get a fixie, just so I could ride it :D

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Cost doesn't need to be an issue - you can build a fixie for about $100 if you are stuck buying a brand new chain and track cog. The rest of the parts can be had from your local dump for $5-$20 (just need a frame, bars, wheels and a crank you can grind the outer ring off). It's possible to build a single speed pretty much for free if you use a 27" mens bike and parts from a busted BMX.

Having said that, my ghetto fixie owes me about $120 because I spent $50 on a proper single speed crank.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:02 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:ya know what shits me about riding fixed?
I'm always a bit nervous about letting one rip.... something doesn't feel quite right about farting with your legs spinning at 90+ RPM
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

paolo_ski

Postby paolo_ski » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:28 pm

drubie wrote:Cost doesn't need to be an issue - you can build a fixie for about $100 if you are stuck buying a brand new chain and track cog. The rest of the parts can be had from your local dump for $5-$20 (just need a frame, bars, wheels and a crank you can grind the outer ring off). It's possible to build a single speed pretty much for free if you use a 27" mens bike and parts from a busted BMX.

Having said that, my ghetto fixie owes me about $120 because I spent $50 on a proper single speed crank.
We have a really old roadie sitting out the back, still in working order. Methinks this would be the perfect project bike... the gears and brakes are already shoddy so I might as well take them off. I'm going to go suss it out in the shed right now :D