Best hill climb times

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Best hill climb times

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:56 pm

Has anyone had a go at timing themselves up a hill? There's a couple of sites that have logs of hill climbs, such as this one;

Cycle2max-Australia

I'm going to have a go that this one. A pity that data isn't complete.

North Waterfall / Garie
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:23 am

It's a secret that only my computer and my legs know. :P

Been talking of having a go at the Heart Break Hill, Rose Hill for a few weeks. Was going to be this weekend but with this lingering flu, I suspect it'll need to wait a bit longer.

http://www.cycle2max.com/c2m/c2max.nsf/ ... enDocument
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:02 pm

I'm planning to ride RNP on Sunday in the opposite direction and go up to waterfall in the opposite direction to what you did on the Gong ride. If I leave early enough, I might meet up with DHBC at the servo.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:38 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I'm planning to ride RNP on Sunday in the opposite direction and go up to waterfall in the opposite direction to what you did on the Gong ride. If I leave early enough, I might meet up with DHBC at the servo.
That would be a nice ride at that time in the morning. Enjoy it! :D

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:29 am

Interesting site. The Castle Hill record isn't correct. The best time ever was about 8m 30s.

My time for Castle Hill was about 3 minutes. Oh wait, that was coming down.

Looks like the biggest climb is Paluma. It's just up the road. Maybe one day . . . in winter . . . in my dreams.

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:44 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I'm planning to ride RNP on Sunday in the opposite direction and go up to waterfall in the opposite direction to what you did on the Gong ride. If I leave early enough, I might meet up with DHBC at the servo.
That's pretty hectic. My friends and I have always joked about doing this...It's good to hear that now I actually know someone who's game enough to try it. Good Luck!

Will you be including that stupidly steep section from Stanwell Park up to Bald Hill as well?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:31 pm

Mr888 wrote:
That's pretty hectic. My friends and I have always joked about doing this...It's good to hear that now I actually know someone who's game enough to try it. Good Luck!

Will you be including that stupidly steep section from Stanwell Park up to Bald Hill as well?
I slept in and didn't do it. This route is different, you turn off princess and go down to Audley, then you ride thru to Waterfall, where you ride up to Princess, which is a section of the gong ride in the opposite direction.

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:20 am

I only just saw this post and thought I would mention that the guys over at www.muggaccinos.com have a hill climb program they have been working on that may interest you. If you look on their site you will see it under KOM challenge.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:09 am

Finally did RNP yesterday. Still got sore legs today.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:51 am

mikesbytes wrote:Finally did RNP yesterday. Still got sore legs today.
So how were the times?

My legs are still sore from last week and the weekend. Glad that I didn't even think about joining you... :?

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:51 am

I've been training for bike hill climbs by climbing up a 285 metre hill. I say climbing because it's more than a walking track. Walking tracks don't get your heart rate up around 170. I don't start at sea level so it's about 200m up.

I go up one track and down another which appropriately ends at a cemetery and then back. While going up I see it as a bike hill climb and I try and go up without stopping. It's certainly building up my leg muscles faster than cycling would.

Overall it's a distance of about 4 km but the weather is the killer. I went up and down yesterday evening and it was 31 degrees with humidity of 75% giving an apparent temperature of 38 degrees. I was sweating like a pig.
Trouble is this time of year it doesn't get much cooler than that while it's still light.

I should know in a few weeks if this hill climbing helps my bike hill climbing.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:17 pm

sogood wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Finally did RNP yesterday. Still got sore legs today.
So how were the times?

My legs are still sore from last week and the weekend. Glad that I didn't even think about joining you... :?
Sorry, I missed your post. I didn't time it and took it a tad easier than normal.

LuckyPierre

Re: Best hill climb times

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:36 pm

mikesbytes wrote: .... There's a couple of sites that have logs of hill climbs, such as this one Cycle2max-Australia
It's hardly a real climb, but Poop Works is one I ride pretty often. It's a part of the Lower Molongolo ride that I've put up on www.bikely.com.

gsdkain

Postby gsdkain » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi, guys, new here first post so please be nice. ;-).

Old Razorback is the only decent climb near me, that I know of, when first riding it would take me approx 22 minutes to climb, got it down to 16minutes(in about 2 months) before I broke my collar bone.
Going to have to start that over again.

meatman

Postby meatman » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:52 pm

Best hill I've ridden in NSW is up Bulli pass. Think it's about 3-3.5km long at steady gradient of about 13%. After a 50km ride from Sydney to Thiroul the climb up bulli pass certainly knocks the legs around.

Funny that when I've done it I've been so relieved to get to the top never thought to get my time!!

Anyone who can get to the top of that one without stopping is doing pretty well in my opinion. Makes the Audley hill / Waterfall etc seem a piece of piss!!

PS - it's the only time I've ever used my granny gear - was thinking of upgrading / getting rid of my small chain ring until did that climb!!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:39 am

Bulli Pass? Man, if that's still like it was in the eighties your NUTS.

Welcome to the madhouse mate

Richard

**walks away shaking head**, at least he'll fit in well with mob of lunatics.
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:28 am

Needs Megalong Valley ascent. Most of the rides near me are Penrith end, and rather unpleasant routes.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:47 pm

I have never done Bulli pass...heard about it alot,but not sure that it is 13%.Alpe D'Heuz is only averaging 8 or 9%.
Does any one know?.

meatman

Postby meatman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I have never done Bulli pass...heard about it alot,but not sure that it is 13%.Alpe D'Heuz is only averaging 8 or 9%.
Does any one know?.
quoting from some gear I bought "Huez is 13.8km at average gradient of 8.1%." It's probably 15%+ in parts. I just then tried a more accurate graph on bikely - came out as 330m rise over 3300m thus it's about 3.3km long at average gradient of 10% (I did overestimate initially!!)

Anything above 10% hill I reckon it's more about length. A 10% climb if only for few mins is easy vs a 9% for half hour or more!!!

I calculates my effort up bulli pass vs the Alps would be like if I rode up bulli about 4 times the speed and then did it about 4-5 times straight no breaks - so nothing compared to le tour!!!! also they've usually ridden 100+ks at massive speeds etc etc before they do the climb as well!! Reckon if I train every day into the next life and then with massive doses of EPO - just maybe could try to tackle the alps!!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:39 pm

Sounds like it is worth a trip south if the weather improves...not that i would ever quote my hill climb times as I think they would be a wee bit off the mark and slightly :oops: 'ing.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:17 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I have never done Bulli pass...heard about it alot,but not sure that it is 13%.Alpe D'Heuz is only averaging 8 or 9%.
Does any one know?.
I haven't done Bulli either, but I notice that it has quite a bit of traffic and no sealed shoulder when I drove up it in the afternoon. So it may be best done early on Sunday morning.