Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Max

Re: Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Postby Max » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Comedian wrote:Be aware that there will be a diversion around the Gympie Road area from Wednesday to Saturday.

Read about it here.
From Wednesday 27 July to the evening of Saturday 30 July, 2011 Kedron Brook will be closed to pedestrians and cyclists at Gympie Road. The temporary closure will allow the safe demolition of the existing Gympie Road Bridge to take place. This can only be undertaken after the traffic realignment of Gympie Road. The removal of the bridge allows for construction of the new Northern Busway Bridge and the Airport Link off-ramp.
As part of this temporary closure alternate pedestrian and cycling access will be available. Signage will be in place to direct pedestrians and cyclists.
I went through there the other day and it was a dog's breakfast. The "signage" was pathetic. Does anyone know if this has been cleared up now?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Max wrote:
Comedian wrote:Be aware that there will be a diversion around the Gympie Road area from Wednesday to Saturday.

Read about it here.
From Wednesday 27 July to the evening of Saturday 30 July, 2011 Kedron Brook will be closed to pedestrians and cyclists at Gympie Road. The temporary closure will allow the safe demolition of the existing Gympie Road Bridge to take place. This can only be undertaken after the traffic realignment of Gympie Road. The removal of the bridge allows for construction of the new Northern Busway Bridge and the Airport Link off-ramp.
As part of this temporary closure alternate pedestrian and cycling access will be available. Signage will be in place to direct pedestrians and cyclists.
I went through there the other day and it was a dog's breakfast. The "signage" was pathetic. Does anyone know if this has been cleared up now?

Max
See three posts up ;). They are saying Friday but they said last Friday too.

Max

Postby Max » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Comedian wrote: See three posts up ;). They are saying Friday but they said last Friday too.
:oops: I got my dates mixed up. I thought you meant Friday just gone. Anyway, I'll be avoiding that area until it's sorted out.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:59 pm

anyone ride the kbb today? The giant cloud of bugs between kedron and lutwyche got old pretty fast.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:22 pm

Did anyone go through KBB and under Gympie road? Is it open again?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Comedian wrote:Did anyone go through KBB and under Gympie road? Is it open again?
yup, open since at least yesterday (Sat) lunch time.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:42 pm

winstonw wrote:
Comedian wrote:Did anyone go through KBB and under Gympie road? Is it open again?
yup, open since at least yesterday (Sat) lunch time.
Cool thanks!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Not KBB but the Wetlands....keep an eye out for cattle. A nice looking ~18mo was on the path this arvo. about half way in but closer to the north end. When it saw me, it turned and bolted along the path away from me, then nearly slipped over when executing a sharp turn into the bush. First time I've seen cattle in there.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Must of got out of the Nudgee collage Ag Department. It's not spose to be in there.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 pm

beauyboy wrote:Must of got out of the Nudgee collage Ag Department. It's not spose to be in there.

Donald
Hmmmm...might give them a call. It was very healthy looking so might be a recent escapee. Doubt there's a lot of fresh water currently. Don't know how they'll find it though.

edit: Just phoned to let em know. Tony Jensen is the relevant guy if anyone else sights them/it.

Max

Postby Max » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:23 pm

I can't help but feel sorry for the cow in question. All she knows is standing in a paddock and having plenty to eat and drink and generally being happy (by cow standards). I can't imagine being on the loose is much fun for her, especially if she's stuck somewhere. :(

Max

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:02 pm

Max wrote:I can't help but feel sorry for the cow in question. All she knows is standing in a paddock and having plenty to eat and drink and generally being happy (by cow standards). I can't imagine being on the loose is much fun for her, especially if she's stuck somewhere. :(

Max
Probably making the most of her freedom & milking it for all it's worth.

Should imagine she's having an udderly good time.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:58 am

ZepinAtor wrote:
Max wrote:I can't help but feel sorry for the cow in question. All she knows is standing in a paddock and having plenty to eat and drink and generally being happy (by cow standards). I can't imagine being on the loose is much fun for her, especially if she's stuck somewhere. :(

Max
Probably making the most of her freedom & milking it for all it's worth.

Should imagine she's having an udderly good time.
Is some one going to moove her on? :)

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:26 am

Tony was very appreciative and said Nudgee College have a herd on pasture beside the wetlands, and the fence must be compromised, and he'd get a group down there pronto.

I said "that's okow Tony. Angus and I will be maintaining a lowline through there tomorrow on our bikes wearing our long cycling guernseys so we aren't friesian. Though I won't be wearing no bra man."

Max

Postby Max » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:29 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're a funny lot :mrgreen:

Max

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:43 pm

OH BROTHER
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Riding home on the Kedron Brooke bike path today we rode through massive swarms of little flying insects.

Our arms were freckled like hundreds & thousands on a five year olds fairy bread.

They were a little bitter & slightly crunchy, but a good free protein hit mid ride.

ps (KBBers there was a 1m long black snake across the path near the Nudgee Golf course)

& to the Magpie at Samford on Days Road who had a little "clip" at my ear IT'S NOT TIME YET GEEZ !!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:16 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Riding home on the Kedron Brooke bike path today we rode through massive swarms of little flying insects.

Our arms were freckled like hundreds & thousands on a five year olds fairy bread.

They were a little bitter & slightly crunchy, but a good free protein hit mid ride.

ps (KBBers there was a 1m long black snake across the path near the Nudgee Golf course)

& to the Magpie at Samford on Days Road who had a little "clip" at my ear IT'S NOT TIME YET GEEZ !!
Bloody Magpies
I lived in Samford Valley until this year, and rode frequently. There's two magpies that used to scare me.
- the most aggressive attacks on Mt Glorious Rd, about 25-150 metres to the east of the Co-op, Mower Centre, Garden Centre. he is a real bestard. Multiple strikes and very hard.
- the second one is on the east end of Westbourne Drive, about 50-100 metres from the Wights Mountain Rd intersection.

I phoned the council about the first one, as it is very nasty and if it attacks when you have heavy trucks going past, it could be tragic. Typically, the council is ruled by apathy and dragged out their 'natural environment' excuse to do nothing.

KBB Snakes
And yes, the snakes are back on KBB/Soorley trail this week. In the last few days, there was a 2ft brown near Nudgee Golf Course, and a 1.5 ft red bellied black about 2km west of Nudgee Golf Course. They seem to be more on the move between 930am and 4pm. These are smaller than what I have seen in past years. The red bellied blacks have averaged 4 foot, and the browns 3 foot.
Keep in mind the red bellied blacks are not as toxic as browns, and browns move much faster and are more aggressive.
In the last 3 years, I've suddenly come across about 20 browns. I have always been afraid they'll attack my legs when riding past, but their general response is to very quickly turn back into the bush, though they can be late to do this, and I've missed their heads by mm's several times.

The red bellied blacks are much slower, and I have had to go off the track several times to stop from riding over them. They just seem to react more slowly. These seem to cross the path around 8-9am heading to the estuaries or brook, and then head back late morning. Never seen a large red bellied black after 2pm.

Anyway, the above is just my experience. Always interested to hear others.

We did a Toombul Petrie Scarborough Sandgate loop this morning, so the only snakes were in cars.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:24 pm

winstonw wrote:[

In the last few days, there was a 2ft brown near Nudgee Golf Course, and a 1.5 ft red bellied black about 2km west of Nudgee Golf Course.
mmm, sounds like the same snake. About 2km west of the NGC.

Think I'll call him Geoffrey.

That second magpie is the same one as well, just off Wights Mt Rd as you said.

Think I'll call her Sarah Ferguson. Can you imagine next time I'm riding up that little rise just into the turn off yelling out ffff...... off Fergie !!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:54 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Think I'll call him Geoffrey.

That second magpie is the same one as well, just off Wights Mt Rd as you said.

Think I'll call her Sarah Ferguson. Can you imagine next time I'm riding up that little rise just into the turn off yelling out ffff...... off Fergie !!
Maybe we can put up signs where snakes are sighted, and nikko on names and species.
i.e.
830am 12/8/11 R-r-r-r-oger red belly sighted here traveling east for breaky. R-r-r-roger is a fine looking 3 foot adolescent and was sporting a high gloss leather coat, obviously out to pick up chicks.

I often thought of devising some helmet mounted spring loaded net that I could catch the Samford Valley maggies with.
Though I ended up resorting to waving my pump around above my head, or tucking it in the top back of my jersey so it protruded above my helmet. This seemed to deter both the bustards. Once I got off the bike and threw rocks at the Mt Glorious Rd one for about 10 minutes. The cheeky puffed up chest little punk just stared me out, and didn't back off an inch.
He should be called Genghis, Herman, or Maximillian. BTW, these were the only maggies I came across in my rides around Samford Valley, and I did most roads.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:30 pm

I saw a little black snake on the side of the path out past the crit track, poor little feller had been squished :(

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:45 pm

lethoso wrote:I saw a little black snake on the side of the path out past the crit track, poor little feller had been squished :(
Think I'll call him Matt Preston. (RIP--flat Mat) :cry:

winstonw wrote: Maybe we can put up signs where snakes are sighted, and nikko on names and species.
i.e.
830am 12/8/11 R-r-r-r-oger red belly sighted here traveling east for breaky. R-r-r-roger is a fine looking 3 foot adolescent and was sporting a high gloss leather coat, obviously out to pick up chicks.
Bbbbwwwaaa,very funny idea that. I'll be looking out for a few of those signs next week. :lol: :lol:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Just in case some people are considering never ever riding Kedron Brook again - I've never seen a snake. I've felt a few bumps under my cane but I always thought they were sticks. :?: :?: ? :mrgreen:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Comedian wrote:Just in case some people are considering never ever riding Kedron Brook again - I've never seen a snake. I've felt a few bumps under my cane but I always thought they were sticks. :?: :?: ? :mrgreen:
I was dumbfounded a few years ago after coming off a sprint on the Corso Yeronga, blabbing with mates, when suddenly shlte...snake...b-bump. Must have looked funny as I tried to pull both feet up out of the pedals and around my ears...it was a 3 foot black snake. Who'd have thought there? snot eye.

Some of the red bellied blacks on Soorley Trail would launch you into the air if you hit them. The biggest I've seen was a full 7 foot and at least 12 cm diameter.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:50 pm

winstonw wrote:
Comedian wrote:Just in case some people are considering never ever riding Kedron Brook again - I've never seen a snake. I've felt a few bumps under my cane but I always thought they were sticks. :?: :?: ? :mrgreen:
I was dumbfounded a few years ago after coming off a sprint on the Corso Yeronga, blabbing with mates, when suddenly shlte...snake...b-bump. Must have looked funny as I tried to pull both feet up out of the pedals and around my ears...it was a 3 foot black snake. Who'd have thought there? snot eye.

Some of the red bellied blacks on Soorley Trail would launch you into the air if you hit them. The biggest I've seen was a full 7 foot and at least 12 cm diameter.

The snake stories have got to stop....not keen to ride out to Nudgee again, certainly not on my own, except during winter!
Lisa