Where to live in Canberra?

Dai

Where to live in Canberra?

Postby Dai » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to relocate to Canberra in the next few months and I was hoping for a bit of advice on better places to live if I want to cycle to work. Looking to live in a unit/townhouse (but not averse to a house) and happy to commute pretty much any distance (although shorter is better). I'm a pretty confident road cyclist, so I'm happy to ride on busier roads (but would prefer not to if I can avoid it). At this stage I think I'll be working in Civic.

Any advice or suggestions you guys could offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Warnesy

Re: Where to live in Canberra?

Postby Warnesy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Have a look around the Woden Valley area, plenty of bike paths from there into the city, nice suburbs. Somewhere like Chiefly perhaps. I live in Jerrabomberra, which is just across the border, but only about 15kms into the city, and there are plenty of townhouses around here.

You could go northside, but then I couldn't talk to you :evil: :lol:

The one thing you'll learn about Canberra is that nowhere is very far from anywhere.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Warnesy wrote:
You could go northside, but then I couldn't talk to you :evil: :lol:

The one thing you'll learn about Canberra is that nowhere is very far from anywhere.
I would certainly agree with both of those statements.
I live in Gordon and ride 38km each way to work in Fairbairn. My suggestion is to look to the south side of the river as the riding is better in terms of routes and traffic.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Here are a couple of maps that show bike/walking tracks in and around Queanbeyan, Jerrabomberra and Canberra.
http://apps.actpla.act.gov.au/plandev/t ... h_map3.swf
http://apps.actpla.act.gov.au/plandev/t ... h_map3.swf

+2 for Jerrabomberra

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:01 am

north side around gunghalin seems to have more construction going on. Belconnen looks ok. But as previous posters have said, we wouldnt talk to you.

south side is more established in all areas of life, like parks, shops, infrastructure. I live in Tuggeranong which is about 20-25kms to the city. More houses down here. I used to live in Mawson, which is about 15kms to city (very easy ride) and you have choice of road or path. Mawson has a fair few units around that area.

Canberra is nice, you will enjoy the change.
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:43 am

You sure know how to set the cat amongst the pigeons – Canberrans are more parochial than Tasmanians! :lol:

I think the inner north ticks all your boxes – very close to Civic, lots of units and townhouses and IMO a great area to live.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:46 pm

It's only about an hour drive from the very furtherest northern suburb to the furtherest south suburb (except peak hour). Dpepends how much your budget is too. Rent is quite dear in Canberra and can be quite hard to get a place too - you often have to offer more than what they are asking and have excellent records and references.

http://www.allhomes.com.au/

Dai

Postby Dai » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone. Great advice on the allhomes.com.au website, I had been looking on real-estate.com.au and was starting to despair a bit. Thanks also for all the suburb recommendations too. It's so hard knowing where to live without having a feel for the place.

The rent is certainly dearer than Brisbane that's for sure, but hopefully we can get an EER 6 place and save a bit on energy costs (not to mention adjust to the cold after the Queensland climate).

Cheers all!

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Southsiders don't talk to northsiders out of petty jealousy. Inner North is where its at. MTBing with 5kms and great rides in and out of town. Cycle paths aren't much chop, though. Inner north is $, though. You will save lots of $ in petrol, though. I do.

Aenveigh

Postby Aenveigh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Sorry to dissent but I'd go inner north if you can afford it and are working in Civic. There are cheaper places about if you're not fussed by an older place, if you're after an EER6 new place it might be $$.

Quick bike or even walk to work, good cafes, and accessible to all the bike paths or road cycling if you want to go for long rides. If you don't feel up to riding on any given day, there's plenty of buses around (although you might want to check the frequency - some suburbs might get hourly service offpeak, others much better). Lots of apartments and townhouses in the inner north, and since you sound like you're arriving off-peak (ie, when ADFA and the graduate programs aren't starting) it's a bit easier to get a place.

I started out southside but have ended up enjoying the north more - just more accessible, cheaper cab rides, better shops for me, etc. As has been mentioned though, Canberra isn't that big, so wherever you end up tends to be accessible from more or less everywhere.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Weston Creek area is the Mecca for cyclists - Closest to the Brindabella ranges, Stromlo Forest Park in your backyard, 15 minutes to everywhere that's worth mentioning etc. Not much by way of townhouses though
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:19 pm

I'll dissent from everyone - stay in Brisbane! If you have to come, buy an MTB.

davidf140270

Postby davidf140270 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:29 pm

I live in Watson and even though it doesn't look that close on the map I can ride into civic in under 15 minutes. The inner north is pretty well established and feels a bit less suburban then south-side.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:03 pm

This man knows! Watson reprazent, yo!

mezla

Postby mezla » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:35 pm

You really can't beat the Inner North. You can search by area on AllHomes.

I've lived in Watson (twice), Kaleen, Spence, Holder, Lyons, Reid, Civic, and am now in Downer. I recommend Lyneham, Downer, O'Connor, Watson, Dickson, Braddon, Hackett, Campbell, Ainslie, Turner.

All close to civic, and close to Black Mountain and Mount Ainslie when you feel like riding up a nasty hill.

seddo

Postby seddo » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:48 am

what no votes for Charny

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:41 pm

seddo wrote:what no votes for Charny
The only reason for a cyclist to live in Charnie is to get some sprint training in - getting the hell out ASAP :twisted:
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:01 pm

I once got a flat on the bakery bunch going through charnie. I didn't care for it.

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:41 am

Robdog wrote:
The only reason for a cyclist to live in Charnie is to get some sprint training in - getting the hell out ASAP :twisted:
I accidentally rode through Charnwood once, the residents seem to communicate almost exclusively with profanities, I haven't been back :wink:

edit: And to answer the where to live question, I can recommend the inner north :D
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:21 am

Robdog wrote:
Having (unfortunately) once lived in Dunlop for a few years, going through Charnwood was naturally unavoidable. In my experience the thing I got most practiced at was changing tubes thanks to the glass!

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:39 pm

north side seems to have a lot more chemical fires.... i wouldnt want to live in a place like that........
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Our building was closed today so I got the phone call from my boss saying "no work today" closely followed by "let's take the mountain bikes to Stromlo".

My first visit - awesome fun!

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:52 pm

Stromlo = win
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)