Perth weather

MarkG

Re: Perth weather

Postby MarkG » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Got the tiniest bit of rain on the way in to work today, for literally 2 minutes, but apart from that, bliss!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:27 pm

MarkG wrote:Got the tiniest bit of rain on the way in to work today, for literally 2 minutes, but apart from that, bliss!
the rest of the working week looks mint as well.

heading out on the MTB mid Sunday morning up (AT) Kalamunda. so many people around, carparks chock full - a lot of people taking advantage of the clearer skies

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Amen to that my fellow Specialized brother!

sli123

Postby sli123 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Good riding weather (mostly) for the past few days. Enjoying the wind direction too for my regular ride - into the breeze on the way out and with the breeze on the way home.

TimWhite

Postby TimWhite » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Seems as good a time as any to stop lurking and start posting - unbelievable weather today. Loved every minute of my ride and made it back inside an hour for the first time. :)
Also saved the smallest duckling I've ever seen from certain death on Leach Hwy - after dodging traffic and making it across 6 lanes the poor thing couldn't get up the curb!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:15 pm

sli123 wrote: Enjoying the wind direction too for my regular ride - into the breeze on the way out and with the breeze on the way home.
Nice. Where are you riding?

Andrew

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:39 pm

I left work this arvo, rode from South, up to Applecross and then back home.
Beautiful weather!

sli123

Postby sli123 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Aushiker wrote:
sli123 wrote: Enjoying the wind direction too for my regular ride - into the breeze on the way out and with the breeze on the way home.

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Mostly just the paths from Bayswater into the city then either the Kwinana path or the river loop out to Fremantle. All flat stuff. I've done a couple of SPR Saturday rides and I'm looking forward to joining a few group rides that go to the hills. Once I'm a bit more familiar with the roads and which ones have good cycling shoulders I'll venture onto them more often.
I'm still in awe of the shared paths/cycle paths around here. I can ride 1km from my place to a cycle path and spend the next 80km (160 round trip - Kwinana Fwy path) cycling without using a road. Priceless!
Hoping to cross paths with you and a few other BNA members sometime soon.
Cheers,
Stuart.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:03 am

sli123 wrote:Mostly just the paths from Bayswater into the city then either the Kwinana path or the river loop out to Fremantle. All flat stuff. I've done a couple of SPR Saturday rides and I'm looking forward to joining a few group rides that go to the hills. Once I'm a bit more familiar with the roads and which ones have good cycling shoulders I'll venture onto them more often.
I'm still in awe of the shared paths/cycle paths around here. I can ride 1km from my place to a cycle path and spend the next 80km (160 round trip - Kwinana Fwy path) cycling without using a road. Priceless!
Hoping to cross paths with you and a few other BNA members sometime soon..
Sounds good. You could try a Audax ride or two as well and get out of the city :) We did a 200 today south past Mandurah, around the inlet to Pinjarra and return. There where three forum members on the ride. Very tough but, coming home for the second 100 km or so into the wind.

Andrew

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:29 am

sli123 wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Mostly just the paths from Bayswater into the city then either the Kwinana path or the river loop out to Fremantle. All flat stuff. I've done a couple of SPR Saturday rides and I'm looking forward to joining a few group rides that go to the hills. Once I'm a bit more familiar with the roads and which ones have good cycling shoulders I'll venture onto them more often.
Hoping to cross paths with you and a few other BNA members sometime soon.
Cheers,
Stuart.
Hi Stuart,

Glad you're enjoying the cycling infrastructure here. Yeah, come on an Audax ride, their not all beer and skittles but they certainly build character! :)

btw. if you do an Audax ride or 2 you won't see me on 1 until October as I'm away til then.

sli123

Postby sli123 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Thanks guys.
I've had the Audax website saved in my favourites for about a year now but >150km is getting out of my comfort zone. I'd need to do some longer training rides before joining in the fun ( :shock: ) of Audax.
Cheers,
Stuart.

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:11 pm

Sli,

given the number of kms you have done this year I do not think that it will be beyond you to do a 200. Especially if you have other riders with you. Its really all about pacing yourself and making sure you eat and drink on a regular basis.
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:13 pm

sli123 wrote:Thanks guys.
I've had the Audax website saved in my favourites for about a year now but >150km is getting out of my comfort zone. I'd need to do some longer training rides before joining in the fun ( :shock: ) of Audax.
Cheers,
Stuart.
There are shorter options too. Saturday's ride had a few riders doing the 130 km option to Mandurah and return.

Andrew

GingaNinja

Postby GingaNinja » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Woohoo, what a doosey commute ride home today. Stormy weather was on the cards and I headed off being pushed along nicely by WSW 40 - 69kmph winds. Here I was dreaming of a PB coming along when ba bong, a flat tyre stops all dreams. A slither of glass has worked its way in, hmm that is the problem when your riding in the gutters fearing the after work distracted drivers in the dark conditions.

The wind really picked up and along the Kwinana PSP, from Canning Bridge to the city, the wind fired rain into my face :? and froth from the white wash of the river against the embankment were picked up and went flying at great rates towards the stalled freewai(t) traffic. I smile because I know I would rather be scooting along out in this weather than caged and stationary.

Saw a great site, obviously the insane or enthusaistic head out in this weather and so no big surprise but still pretty fantastic to see at least one ped with a red rear light on the back of his shirt. Now that should be standard practice for all dawn and dusk runners/walkers, especially in overcast wintery days.

Lots of people heading south into a blisting wind, I wanted to give you all a clap for your efforts but thought that would look condescending.

sli123

Postby sli123 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Nasty wind :twisted:

While I was trying hard to stay upright on two wheels today I as wondering how Colin was doing on one?? :shock:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:31 pm

sli123 wrote:Nasty wind :twisted:

While I was trying hard to stay upright on two wheels today I as wondering how Colin was doing on one?? :shock:
I'm looking to seeing what the wind is doing tomorrow, the forecast doesn't look good for my ride home currently
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:28 pm

I went to the gym this morning with windy conditions. On my way back weather looked clear, then 2 minutes later the clouds came over and poured on me all the way home :evil:

Was not happy..

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:24 am

sli123 wrote:Nasty wind :twisted:

With much difficulty. I had to don the pancho for the last couple of kms and I got to thinking that perhaps I should have filed a flight plan before I left work. :?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:27 am

GingaNinja wrote:
Lots of people heading south into a blisting wind, I wanted to give you all a clap for your efforts but thought that would look condescending.
I was thinking much the same of quite a few intrepid fools riding west along Riverside Drive this morning. Seriously heavy wind and with a fair chill to it too.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:57 pm

Last night around 4 I very slight spit of rain no jacket needed! Wind dropped heaps by 6 was really nice. Looking forward to tomorrow morning.

MM

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:51 pm

I woke up early as per usual for my ride to work, but came down with a case of 'cant be f'd-itis' and drove instead!

DAMN YOU LACK OF MOTIVATION!

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Beautiful conditions all day today - headed off to work about 7.30 am today, very pleasant.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Yup same here at 5.30 clear warm and getting light earlier everyday.

sli123

Postby sli123 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Great weather the past few days. I actually got a little too much sun on yesterdays cycle 8)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:55 pm

I've got great weather sending me on my tour. Then got rain developing and best of all I will have a tailwind all the way out to Corrigin and maybe Hyden 8)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810