650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

feral grasshopper

650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby feral grasshopper » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:11 am

Has anyone ever come across Rolf Prima wheels, any opinions? They look pretty cool...and light!

bianchi928

Re: 650c wheels again! Rolf Prima??

Postby bianchi928 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi FG,

I have a set of Rolf Vectors on my Masi road bike that I commute on. They are pretty bullet proof and run quite well for their age (I bought them on a second hand bike from someone who is a proffessional bike mechanic so they have been well serviced etc). I had the choice to change to some Mavics for a few extra $$ but given the ordinary roads they would be used on, I kept these thinming if they were no good, I could always replace them. I'm glad I kept them.

I think Rolf Vector are somehow the same company as Rolf Prima (different ownership??)
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:12 pm

thanks Bianchi! my research tells me that Rolf Vectors were manufactured by Trek, now defunct. apparently the same Rolf used to work for Trek but then took himself and his technology and went independent!

i've ordered a set of RP Dauphine 650c, 1245gm, 20/20 spokes, should be seriously better performing that the Mavic Open Pros currently on the bike. i'm told they have been built and are currently winging their way from the US, i can't wait to try them on the bike (when it gets back from Baum, currently being fitted with S&S couplers so i can travel easily with it), very exciting! there's so little choice in 650 wheels that i was not expecting to find anything as good as these apparently are. :D

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:11 pm

I'll be interested to hear what you think of them when they arrive. I'm thinking a new set of lighter wheels would be a good thing. I too have Mavic Open Pros.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:28 pm

I shall be sure and let u know then, so far I'm impressed with the assistance and efficiency of the OZ importer but we'll see how it goes!

I also enquired about some Velocity wheels from Qld but got the run around, nothing in stock, have to wait for big order need to re-tool, yada, yada, usual all too hard story, obviously don't want or need the business!!

Within a day of ordering the RPs they were bring built in Oregon and I heard late last week that they were 'in the air'. 8)

Plus the RPs are way lighter than anything Velocity were offering anyway.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:06 pm

Photos of the Baum with the new hoops please or it didn't happen. :)
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:54 pm

that means i've got to learn how to post photos! :oops:

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:19 pm

still waiting for photos.......... 8) 8)
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:41 pm

giwi2 wrote:still waiting for photos.......... 8) 8)
Hahah, and I still haven't figured out how to post them yet! But actually that's not the hold up, the wheels arrived, the OZ distributer was extremely efficient, wheels look great!

But the bike is held up at Baum, :roll: waiting for the S&S Couplers to be fitted, it's going to be at least a month before I get the bike back and I reckon that's being optimistic, :cry:

So .......keep watching this space!..........patience, grasshopper, patience! :evil:

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:26 pm

still being patient..........
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:44 pm

giwi2 wrote:still being patient..........
So am I! Still waiting for the bike to get back to me, emailed today asking for an update, watch this space................ :D

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:50 pm

feral grasshopper wrote:
So am I! Still waiting for the bike to get back to me, emailed today asking for an update, watch this space................ :D
Found out today, not much happening with bike yet, Baum say they've been held up, all bikes running behind, :roll: :roll:

It's gonna be a few weeks yet........sigh :? :cry:

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:07 pm

I have just got up from Hibernation, and saw your post.
I got the Velocity wheels but I found that they have to0many spokes, my local bike shop ordered them and put them on, changed over the cassettes,

Shame you didn’t take your bike to Steve Hogg's he can build you great 650c wheels form Velocity.
I used to race with the Teschner with 650 race wheels from Velocity that Steve built.

A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:29 pm

[quote="Apple"]I have just got up from Hibernation, and saw your post.
I got the Velocity wheels but I found that they have to0many spokes, my local bike shop ordered them and put them on, changed over the cassettes,

Shame you didn’t take your bike to Steve Hogg's he can build you great 650c wheels form Velocity.
I used to race with the Teschner with 650 race wheels from Velocity that Steve built.

hey Apple, i'm glad you have emerged from hibernation! actually, its not the wheels that have caused the delay, the OZ distributor of Rolf Primas was great and got them (the Dauphine 650s, 1230gms :P ) ordered, built and delivered in record time and they look awesome, the delay is with Baum, they are retrofitting the bike with S&S Couplers so i can put the bike in a small suitcase and fly around with it, will be fun when it actually happens! i'm just dying to try out the wheels 'cos i had mavic open pros which nobody could exactly call light! :lol:

but yes, i know Steve Hogg, he has fitted me to three bikes and i'm a huge fan of his!

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:36 pm

great, so you are coming to the girls weekend away at the snowy, right !!!!!!
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:17 pm

Apple wrote:great, so you are coming to the girls weekend away at the snowy, right !!!!!!
's on the bucket list if I can squeeze the time off work, will make great training for the BUPA stage of the TDU and the 130 Alpine Classic I just booked for! :wink:

I'll need to get a bit fitter than I am ATM but :oops:

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm

feral grasshopper wrote:'s on the bucket list if I can squeeze the time off work, will make great training for the BUPA stage of the TDU and the 130 Alpine Classic I just booked for! :wink:

Me too, I need to get fit. I may do the TDU as well. Alpine Classic sounds good as well, I need a goal to aim for

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Apple wrote:
feral grasshopper wrote:'s on the bucket list if I can squeeze the time off work, will make great training for the BUPA stage of the TDU and the 130 Alpine Classic I just booked for! :wink:

Me too, I need to get fit. I may do the TDU as well. Alpine Classic sounds good as well, I need a goal to aim for
Yea, we can spur each other on then! Cool bananas! 8)

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm still thinking about those Rolf Primas... Who is the Australian distributor?

I too am doing the Alpine Classic but have courageously / stupidly / signed up for the ACE (250km) option. Gulp

I'm thinking up the training program.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Eleri wrote:I'm still thinking about those Rolf Primas... Who is the Australian distributor?

I too am doing the Alpine Classic but have courageously / stupidly / signed up for the ACE (250km) option. Gulp

That is totally awesome, I could no more contemplate that than fly! A friend from my work did it last year in under 10 hours but he is the very best rider that I know!

OZ distributor is Matt Von Bibra, he was very good, quick efficient and returned emails extremely promptly! Tell him I sent you, the Dauphine chick from Katoomba, LOL!

Here's the site: http://vonactbikewheels.com/

The wheels look spesh, can't wait to try them!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:50 pm

feral grasshopper wrote:
Eleri wrote:I'm still thinking about those Rolf Primas... Who is the Australian distributor?

That is totally awesome, I could no more contemplate that than fly! A friend from my work did it last year in under 10 hours but he is the very best rider that I know!

OZ distributor is Matt Von Bibra, he was very good, quick efficient and returned emails extremely promptly! Tell him I sent you, the Dauphine chick from Katoomba, LOL!

I cannot imagine I will be doing it in anything like 10 hours - more like 16. Last year I did the 200 and that took 12.5 That was the first time I had done 200km so I reckon with a bit more focused training (well a lot more) I should be OK.

Thanks for the wheel pointer. I'll talk to them and definitely mention you.

Katoomba is where I learned to ride bikes as a teenager, it was my main form of transport and I had a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer hub geared bike. At least you have hills to practice on, we are a bit light on in the inner-west.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Eleri wrote:
feral grasshopper wrote:

I cannot imagine I will be doing it in anything like 10 hours - more like 16. Last year I did the 200 and that took 12.5 That was the first time I had done 200km so I reckon with a bit more focused training (well a lot more) I should be OK.

Thanks for the wheel pointer. I'll talk to them and definitely mention you.

Katoomba is where I learned to ride bikes as a teenager, it was my main form of transport and I had a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer hub geared bike. At least you have hills to practice on, we are a bit light on in the inner-west.
well you'll just have to come up here for a ride, Megalong and Jenolan are options, both good training. not this weekend though, it's going to be raining all weekend........ :cry: :cry:

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:46 am

feral grasshopper wrote:
well you'll just have to come up here for a ride, Megalong and Jenolan are options, both good training. not this weekend though, it's going to be raining all weekend........ :cry: :cry:
Yes, not happy about the forecast either, we have a 160km ride planned down to Wollongong and beyond. Megalong is not a bad idea some time though - what's the road surface and traffic like? And is there more than just the ride in and out of Blackheath?

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Eleri wrote:
feral grasshopper wrote:
Yes, not happy about the forecast either, we have a 160km ride planned down to Wollongong and beyond. Megalong is not a bad idea some time though - what's the road surface and traffic like? And is there more than just the ride in and out of Blackheath?
lots of options on that, i ride out from North Katoomba, sometimes do Megalong twice then go out to Mt Victoria (shandy at the pub, :wink: ) then back home, option to add in the Cliff Drive run which would add about 33kms and take the ride up to about 100-110kms and i'd reckon at least 2000 metres of climbing.

the other one that's good is to park at Historic Hartley and ride to Jenolan Caves and back, about 100kms and there'd be over 2000 metres of climbing easily i'd say, best to avoid windy days for that run, can be horrible in the wind. i don't do Victoria Pass because there's no shoulder and i reckon it'd be a bit risky.

road surfaces are sometimes OK, sometimes dead, you've got to watch the traffic sometimes, there are spots where i'm extremely careful but i can't say i've ever had any real trouble. i'm inclined to be pretty proactive about claiming the lane if i think that's the safest thing to do..........take no prisoners kind of person me.......as in don't mess with De Grasshoppa! :twisted:

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:24 pm

feral grasshopper wrote:
feral grasshopper wrote:
Found out today, not much happening with bike yet, Baum say they've been held up, all bikes running behind, :roll: :roll:

It's gonna be a few weeks yet........sigh :? :cry:
Getting closer! :D

with couplers by d'Avigdor, on Flickr