Stoves and Cookwear

rifraf

Re: Stoves and Cookwear

Postby rifraf » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:39 pm

il padrone wrote:Trangia now have their hard-anodised version that has superceded the duossal.
Hi Pete,
thanks for the links.
I spotted this version on fleabay last night and its a consideration.
Any thoughts or impressions on the stainless Tatonka version I posted a link to above?
I think I've gleaned that the alloy has superior heat dispersial but the stainless
easier cleaning than the un-anodised version
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:14 pm

rifraf wrote: Did you obtain the Clickstand via that link you kindly left us or did you find it local?
I'm keeping my options open but am inclined to look to an alternative to cooking
on an alloy surface for real or imagined reasons.
Yes, I bought the Clikstand from the site I linked to. The exchange rate is much more favourable now though.

As previously commented, I also dislike alloy cookware. To the best of my knowledge titanium is inert.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tazzy

Postby Tazzy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:29 pm

Love my Optimus Nova, wouldn't have anything else.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:16 am

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:33 pm

Ok I just made up my mind to give the hard anodised version of the Trangia a whirl.
The Wiggle price of 48.74uk pounds or $72.20 was much cheaper than local prices.
I also bought a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HPG Pump with Gauge so as to get free postage for the bundle.
The Trangia is around half the average Aussie prices I found from a quick search.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread and helped form the consensus to aid my
purchase decision.
I'm hopeful the hard anodizing will prevent oxidization if I'm careful to only use plastic or wood cooking utensils.
The first sign of any scratching or lifting of the non stick stuff and the pot in question will be getting replaced.
Thankfully with Trangia this is possible as you can purchase any item individually should the need arise I'm told.
Using stainless pots of Trangia size and lightweight often causes hot spots with isolated burning of the food
seems to be a common thread from what I've read.
There are lots of positive reviews of the hard anodized so..........
If I dont like the stove then trying to get half Aussie retail via fleabay seems like an easy option.
This is the same as Il Padrones link but with the addition of a kettle from what I can see.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:00 pm

They are a little on the expensive side, but I think the Trangia fuel bottles are worth considering too.

The one litre size fits in a lower bidon cage nicely, but may foul the front wheel/mudguard on some bikes. I use the 500ml size to avoid this problem

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:13 pm

RonK wrote:They are a little on the expensive side, but I think the Trangia fuel bottles are worth considering too.

The one litre size fits in a lower bidon cage nicely, but may foul the front wheel/mudguard on some bikes. I use the 500ml size to avoid this problem
Wow they have gone up in price.
I've been using one for quite a few years now to carry the fuel for my optimus.
They make for easy pouring compared to the bottle the meths comes in from the supermarket.
I never thought of the bidon cage as an option to carry one but good to know as I spotted my Bob Yak trailer
has mounts for two bidons at the rear.
I like the idea of the meths as the smell goes after a while if you have a spill on anything as opposed to kero
which takes for ever for the smell to go away.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:17 pm

rifraf wrote:Ok I just made up my mind to give the hard anodised version of the Trangia a whirl.
The Wiggle price of 48.74uk pounds or $72.20 was much cheaper than local prices.
I also bought a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HPG Pump with Gauge so as to get free postage for the bundle.
The Trangia is around half the average Aussie prices I found from a quick search.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread and helped form the consensus to aid my
purchase decision.
I'm hopeful the hard anodizing will prevent oxidization if I'm careful to only use plastic or wood cooking utensils.
The first sign of any scratching or lifting of the non stick stuff and the pot in question will be getting replaced.
Thankfully with Trangia this is possible as you can purchase any item individually should the need arise I'm told.
Using stainless pots of Trangia size and lightweight often causes hot spots with isolated burning of the food
seems to be a common thread from what I've read.
There are lots of positive reviews of the hard anodized so..........
If I dont like the stove then trying to get half Aussie retail via fleabay seems like an easy option.
This is the same as Il Padrones link but with the addition of a kettle from what I can see.
Well FFS,
Wiggles package arrived today.
Wrong Trangia with different model number.
I see they have now put up the price of the model I ordered.
I'm just about over this buying over the net.
First order was via starbike and took a month to arrive.
This order was nine day and now its gotta go back to the UK and then get checked and then another nine days.
Seems like what I'm saving in cash I'm forking out in high blood pressure and frustration.
Easily done I suppose from a rushed staff member but bloody frustrating all the same.
I've just sent them an email but of course being the weekend.........
I'll update you when I get a result

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:29 pm

rifraf wrote:Ok I just made up my mind to give the hard anodised version of the Trangia a whirl.
By the way, just to help you out getting over your fear of aluminium cookware.
Aluminium has had bad press for a long time, mostly beginning around the 1920s. Rudolph Valentino's death in 1926 at the tender age of 31 was blamed on aluminium poisoning from aluminium cookware - but he was actually killed by a perforating stomach ulcer. Howard J. Force, a self-proclaimed "chemist" added momentum to the anti-aluminium movement with pamphlets such as Poisons Formed by Aluminum Cooking Utensils. It was probably not a coincidence that he also sold cookware - stainless steel cookware.

The first scientific "evidence" about aluminium's toxicity appeared in the mid-1970s. People with Alzheimer's Disease have typical changes in the brain that can be seen only with a microscope. They're called "neuro-fibrillary tangles". Various studies found high concentrations of aluminium at autopsy in the brains of people suffering with Alzheimer's Disease - and almost always in the characteristic neuro-fibrillary tangles in the nerves. So, did the aluminium cause Alzheimer's Disease? No. It eventually turned out that the neuro-fibrillary tangles were very "sticky" - and absorbed the aluminium out of the water used to wash them.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:50 pm

il padrone wrote:
By the way, just to help you out getting over your fear of aluminium cookware.
Thanks for your thoughts Pete.
Its a phobia that set in when young and seeing the potatoes cooked in aluminum pans, hit the plate grey from the alloy oxide.
Having my mother crippled by Alzheimers in her fifties hasn't helped and has only made my paranoia on this topic worse.
Its been a huge leap of faith for me to to try the hard anodized version.
Purchasing was hard and it would have been something to watch me procrastinating over cooking dinner whilst on tour.
I've got a feeling that Wiggle will just refund me upon return of goods rather than replace with the right item as the
price has gone up.
I miss many meals where I'm currently staying due to their scratched Teflon coated fry pan.
I'm afraid no matter what anyone says I'm going to be unable to enjoy this particular kit.
It might not be rational but its just the way it is with me.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:09 pm

rifraf wrote:I'm afraid no matter what anyone says I'm going to be unable to enjoy this particular kit.
Get the Clikstand...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:42 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:I'm afraid no matter what anyone says I'm going to be unable to enjoy this particular kit.
Get the Clikstand...
It might happen Ronk but not tonight.
I've had a gutful of online purchases today after some visa verification issues.
All fixed now supposedly but trying to sort it out stole my ride tonight and
left me feeling frustrated.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:21 pm

rifraf wrote:Its a phobia that set in when young and seeing the potatoes cooked in aluminum pans, hit the plate grey from the alloy oxide.
Say What??

Don't know how that has happened. I grew up with mum cooking in aluminium saucepans and never ever saw grey spuds :?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:59 am

il padrone wrote:
rifraf wrote:Its a phobia that set in when young and seeing the potatoes cooked in aluminum pans, hit the plate grey from the alloy oxide.
WT???

Don't know how that has happened. I grew up with mum cooking in aluminium saucepans and never ever saw grey spuds :?
Ahhh to be sure now!
There you have it indeed.
The dementia is kicking in already "IP" :lol:
You dont remember the grey spuds :?:
You wernt by chance an early recipient of Aldi spectacles by chance? :wink:
Ignore my attempt at humour.
Our pots were probably cheap ones of lesser quality.
Either that or maybe the oxide from the stainless I now use has further addled
my poor excuse for a brain. :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:15 am

rifraf wrote: Well FFS,
Wiggles package arrived today.
Wrong Trangia with different model number.
I see they have now put up the price of the model I ordered.
I'm just about over this buying over the net.
First order was via starbike and took a month to arrive.
This order was nine day and now its gotta go back to the UK and then get checked and then another nine days.
Seems like what I'm saving in cash I'm forking out in high blood pressure and frustration.
Easily done I suppose from a rushed staff member but bloody frustrating all the same.
I've just sent them an email but of course being the weekend.........
I'll update you when I get a result
Whoops a wee error on my part there.
They havnt up'd the price at all but when I looked I hadnt logged on and it gave
a price including the vat which gets knocked off when you do the settings properly.
I'll see if they have a special on credibility and buy some next week.
Letting the frustration get to me a bit there I think

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi

Cascade Designs have a new version of the Pocket Rocket on the way for 2010 called the MSR MicroRocket Canister Fuel Stove which weighs in at 74 grams. Cost is expected to be US$60.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:09 am

Tazzy wrote:Love my Optimus Nova, wouldn't have anything else.
I was just looking at a site il padrone linked to with regards to a tent he's thinking about. :mrgreen:
I had a little peruse and spotted they sell Optimus stoves and rebuild/maintenence kits which may
interest yourself Tazzy. :idea:
http://www.moontrail.com/home.php?cat=365
They price their Nova at $117 and the Nova + at $127
I'm fairly tempted at their Hiker + at $159 which is about half what I paid for my 111c back in the day. :roll:
Do you remember where and how much you coughed for your Nova?
Anyone needing parts for their kero stoves might well benefit from a peruse at:
http://www.oillamps.com.au/index.htm
and their stove parts specific page:
http://www.oillamps.com.au/Kero.html#KE ... VE%20PARTS
Hope this helps

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:17 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Cascade Designs have a new version of the Pocket Rocket on the way for 2010 Andrew
2010 you say..... :?: :)
So they're running a bit behind schedule
They look like a nice little unit Andrew
Will you be doing a review?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:24 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

I also have a Trangia but haven't used that in years. I did try painting the pots with Pot Belly black to improve heating but it didn't really help. I just find them to slow and inefficient to justify.
Thanks for posting but as you have now got me thinking about updating my cooking setup as well :)

Andrew
I spotted you selling your trangia on fleabay recently.
What have you got your eyes on now to heat up your din-dins?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:48 am

rifraf wrote:I spotted you selling your trangia on fleabay recently.
Probably one of those MSR MicroRocket or similar. Lighter the better :)

Maybe I might be tempted to try an alchol stove again ... one of these for example ...

AGG Katahdin Stove, which is a manufactured aluminum alcohol burner and priming pan, rather than the common hand-made burners. The elegant new burner weighs 1.25 ounces (35.4 g) and is wider in diameter than most alcohol stoves. It’s designed to place a cookpot directly on top of the burner, so a pot stand is not required. According to George (Tinman), with 24 jets the new stove burns uniformly, has more fuel capacity, and has about the same efficiency as the original AGG stove. MSRP is US$22.95; available now.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:18 am

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:I spotted you selling your trangia on fleabay recently.
Probably one of those MSR MicroRocket or similar. Lighter the better :)

Maybe I might be tempted to try an alchol stove again

Andrew
What might you use for a wind break with the alcohol unit?
Are you hoping for a higher BTU output from it than the Trangia?
I like the fact you can place the pot on it directly. :idea:

Tazzy

Postby Tazzy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:39 am

rifraf wrote:
Tazzy wrote:Love my Optimus Nova, wouldn't have anything else.
I was just looking at a site il padrone linked to with regards to a tent he's thinking about. :mrgreen:
I had a little peruse and spotted they sell Optimus stoves and rebuild/maintenence kits which may
interest yourself Tazzy. :idea:
http://www.moontrail.com/home.php?cat=365
They price their Nova at $117 and the Nova + at $127
I'm fairly tempted at their Hiker + at $159 which is about half what I paid for my 111c back in the day. :roll:
I got my Nova from America through ebay a few years ago, I think it was just under $200 but couldn't be sure, a bargain anyway. I think they have been upgraded a fair bit since I got mine but mine still works fine. It seems to be such a well made piece of kit, very hardy and it came with a few little bits for maintenance which I'm yet to use. One of the things that impressed me about it is how well thought out it is in design. I can't speak highly enough of it, my only gripe is that I don't get to use it more. I use shellite in it which I have found burns nice and clean but it's a multi-fuel job so anything goes probably, even jet fuel if you are game.

stubbie

Postby stubbie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:44 pm

rifraf wrote: Anyone needing parts for their kero stoves might well benefit from a peruse at:
Hope this helps
I could almost kiss you rifraf. :shock:
I've got two 100-year-old brass lamps with the tall glasses that I inherited from my grandmother. I've been told at several outlets that no one still makes those mantles. :D
Gravity will never let you down.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:22 pm

stubbie wrote:
rifraf wrote: Anyone needing parts for their kero stoves might well benefit from a peruse at:
Hope this helps
I could almost kiss you rifraf. :shock:
I've got two 100-year-old brass lamps with the tall glasses that I inherited from my grandmother. I've been told at several outlets that no one still makes those mantles. :D
I'm gonna take a rain check on that kiss stubbie :shock: lol.
Glad I could help.
Be aware much of Aussie kero stinks and isnt the best indoors.
Try to find de-odoured kero if you can.
I'm not sure if its available over here but it is in some countries.
Very hard to get in NZ unless you buy a 200lt drum and then they tell you you need special storage conditions.
Nightmare.
Dont use aviation kero (jet fuel) as I'm told it has some very nasty additives.
I lived off the grid for 5 years and relied on kero mostly for lighting, cooking and warmth.

Max

Postby Max » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:31 pm

rifraf wrote:I lived off the grid for 5 years and relied on kero mostly for lighting, cooking and warmth.
If you don't mind me asking, why so long, and why did you come back "onto" the grid?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy