Is AusBike Expo worth going?

slian

Is AusBike Expo worth going?

Postby slian » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Would appreciate comment form forumners who had been to the AusBike Expo (http://www.ausbike.com.au/) in Melbourne.

Is it worth going from perspective of:
1. getting cycling goodies at discounted price?
2. test riding latest top of range roadies?

longshot

Re: Is AusBike Expo worth going?

Postby longshot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:35 am

I went last year, going again this year. Not far from where I live so low overhead., but reckon worth it just to see latest bike tech and styling, and for bike gabfest.

No particular bargains I was interested in - although there was stuff for sale and vaguely remember some it being cheaper than normal, clothing for example (like sale prices in bike shops).

Didnt see new bikes being able to be test ridden, but maybe missed it.

Entry is cheap :)

cpical

Postby cpical » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Disappointed by this year's Ausbike. Far less interesting than last year's. No Colnago, no Passoni,No Sabbath,....

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:29 pm

Just went, unless I missed something, there we a couple of larger bike brands and bike shop chains completely missing this year.

Wanted to check out dualies, Focus only had one there, Merida were pretty much completely MIA, very little GT, Kona was a bit lame, Rocky Mountain/Jamis and Giant all had good displays though.
*** insert signature here ***

Eberbachl

Postby Eberbachl » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:22 pm

I went today. A but underwhelming overall.

I did like the Ghost bikes. They have a very nice looking XT hardtail in their lineup - I'm going to research them a bit further. Other than that there wasn't too much to excite me.

I took the family, so I won't complain about $25 (Two adults, one child, one child under five), but I wouldn't have wanted to have paid any more.

The BMX 'demo' out the back was particularly lame... a few disinterested looking riders taking turns at repeating the same mediocre tricks time after time (and usually bailing on it).

Not much there for the kids either.

I think they could have put more effort into the whole thing to be honest.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Oh good, made sleeping in worthwhile. :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Oh good, made sleeping in worthwhile. :roll:
Yeah, I slept till 1 pm.. :shock:

(went to bed 10 pm the day before.., 15 hours non stop.... )
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Big Saturday night Hooli?

I was at a cousins wedding in Fed square til laaaate.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

slian

Postby slian » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Thought I'd answer my own question :)

In term of bikes on display, there were some notable absence in big brands as mentioned previously. But nevertheless some worthwhile hardware to check out:
  • Giant '12 display including Ultegra Di2
    Look range
    Scott Foil
    Focus range including a 5.3kg Izalco
    Garmin powermeter pedal
    playing around with the different SRAM gearsets
    some German brands like Stevens and Ghost
In term of picking up bargains: there wasn't much tho I did pick up a Campy cap and Look Keo 2 pedals for a good price!

So overall worthwhile going but hoping to see bigger and better next year!

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:20 pm

New edge 200 was there as well, that was about the highlight for the missus.
*** insert signature here ***

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:38 pm

Anyone from a bike shop attend? Please drop me a line - or I will call you - info@bicycles.net.au

I have some great exhibitor feedback and am after a retailer (visitor) feedback so complete an article on the show for BNA.
If you wish, as a Local Bike Shop I will give you a mention and a link in the article.

Cheers
Christopher.
Cycling is in my BNA

slian

Postby slian » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Anyone know if Around the Bay participants can still get free entry to the 2013 like last year?

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:03 pm

slian wrote:Anyone know if Around the Bay participants can still get free entry to the 2013 like last year?
Just read an ad for it in Ride On magazine. Looks like a $5 discount for BN members, but no mention of ATBIAD participants. So I suspect probably full price except for BN members.
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:13 am

Cowcorner wrote:
slian wrote:Anyone know if Around the Bay participants can still get free entry to the 2013 like last year?
Just read an ad for it in Ride On magazine. Looks like a $5 discount for BN members, but no mention of ATBIAD participants. So I suspect probably full price except for BN members.
I'd have thought they'd charge BN members more in order to keep them out
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:24 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
Cowcorner wrote:
I'd have thought they'd charge BN members more in order to keep them out
...and you have a nice day too, mate :roll: .

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:42 pm

No, I live in Ipswich :(
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:48 am

Anyone go... how was it?
Cycling is in my BNA

neild

Postby neild » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:42 am

I went on Saturday and have to say I wasn't really that impressed. I have been before and expected a bit more. I went around 2pm and it was very quiet. Hardly anyone there at all.

Giant were the only big name there. No Trek, Specialized, Shimano, SRAM etc.. Giant had all their range there but to be honest couldn't really be bothered looking at them. From memory previous ones I've been to SRAM / Shimano have had stands with all their groupsets etc. Swift Carbon / Mercury wheels had a reasonable display and I had a good look at the H SON Plus rim in both black and polished silver. Very very nice and I know what I'll be using for my next wheel build!

Handful or Chinese companies with ebikes and such. Waltly Tiantiam had a few display modesl that looked really nice, so one of the ibggest things I took away was my next bike is going to be custom Ti with H SON Plus rims!

Had a really good chat to the Endura guy. Bought a few things and he threw in quite a bit with some samples. Gave me some Endura Optimiser to try out for the Melbourne Marathon and I really liked it so went out and bought some yesterday so I guess he did his job.

Overall glad I went but if you missed it then you didn't miss much. I don't think I'll be busting a gut to get along next year as the past couple of years its been going downhill.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:15 pm

I dropped in late on Sunday arvo. A lot of the same vendors as last year were there ... it may be important for them to catch up with each other on the Friday, but there wasn't much new for the public at the weekend. A cheaper ($650?) version of that kind of Tacyx interactive trainer was on display, which caught my interest.

Selected exhibits from the private Farren collection of historical bikes was on show (they have a coffee table book for sale currently):

The Eagle company of Connecticut attempted a safer version of the Penny Farthing in 1889 - good luck mounting it!:

This extravagant hickory frame is courtesy of France during La Belle Age (1897). World War I was going to put a stop to all that optimistic thinking.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:20 pm

I happened to be riding past on Saturday arvo so decided to go in on a whim. I found it pretty underwhelming to say the least; quite a few empty stalls and not a great deal going on in general.

TBH felt like I'd accidentally wandered into an industry conference an hour before it wrapped up... I guess the venue costs money, but TBH I'm not sure how they justify charging an entry fee :|

Bright Brewery did have a very good stall though.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:42 pm

m@ wrote:I happened to be riding past on Saturday arvo so decided to go in on a whim. I found it pretty underwhelming to say the least; quite a few empty stalls and not a great deal going on in general.

TBH felt like I'd accidentally wandered into an industry conference an hour before it wrapped up... I guess the venue costs money, but TBH I'm not sure how they justify charging an entry fee :|

Bright Brewery did have a very good stall though.
I felt much the same - I usually expect to recoup my entry fee with swag. I managed to do that with magazines, but not much else going. I was le disappoint.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:49 am

Thank you for the feedback.
I may have been slightly spoiled for choice from big bike trade shows I have attended oveseas, including regional/city bike shows in Europe - This year a number of big name exhibitors were missing so I decided not to go. Last year the follow-ups or follow-through from my interaction with exhibitors very low. This is something I experience from the Aussie bike shows whereas overseas the connections made are lasting and there are followups and responses.

Running a bike show in Aus is tough - the vision is great however brands already have their dealer events and some customer events and the show is an added cost - brands/businesses exhibiting question how an expo provides a direct return on investment.
m@ wrote:not a great deal going on in general
That is actually pretty important - a show feels better when it is busy and you feel you have a lot of choice. While you don't have to check-out the bike-polo or bmx ramps, these create energy and when there are things going on and people moving - you feel like you have more out of it.

Probably the best approach - considering the Sydney Bike Show is a competitor (although very few exhbitors are at both shows) is the idea of alternating years between shows and a collaboration between the two organising bodies. This provides longer lead-in times to organise, puts a single event on the yearly schedule for bike brands and the unity should mean more exhibitors.

Check out BNA after this weekend - I will report on the Sydney Bike Show which takes place this weekend and in connection with a big ride - Spring Ride should draw in a lot more visitors than in previous years.
Cycling is in my BNA

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:20 pm

I went and was unimpressed. I bought a pair of gloves only to find the same retailer had them cheaper online including postage!