Advice for an entry suspension fork

igstar

Postby igstar » Sun May 08, 2011 12:10 pm

I have a hardtail which I use occasionally to ride forest and cross-country trails - nothing too rigorous or technical. I'm finding my current RST bottoms out when I hit deeper ditches at higher speeds. Should I install stronger springs and might be better just buying another fork altogether? I want to spend upto about $200 for something used. What should I look for in that budget range?

The Womble

Re: Advice for an entry suspension fork

Postby The Womble » Sun May 08, 2011 1:29 pm

I have a Rocksox Judy for $50

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun May 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Do you want an 80mm, 100mm or 120mm fork?

Are you a larger rider? Some say well set up coils spring forks work better than air springs with larger riders. The more and air spring compresses the faster it "shoots" back/out.

A Tora or Dart 3 would be 2 coil spring forks.
An Air Tora perhaps.

New stiffer springs would help your RST fork but it might just be wasting money. What year?model is your current fork?

Rock Shox Dart 3 Forks - Coil 2011 From 132.00 AUD not sure if that is a 29er or if they can come in 29er as an option

Rock Shox Tora TK Forks - Coil 2011 From 210.66 AUD

Manitou Match Forks 2010 From 200.00 AUD

lots of options

Damm :lol: Now you have me thinking about a new Manitou fork. :P

McGoo

Postby McGoo » Sun May 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Be aware, if you are spending more than bare minimum on forks you may be cheaper buying a whole new bike in the long run. An anaconda bike with $200 forks sells for $400-700.

zero

Postby zero » Sun May 08, 2011 6:22 pm

There are still NOS 2008 air tora's on ebay for less than $200 from an australian vendor. Still think those are the best value items out there at the moment.

I have a tora from 2006, and its been perfectly fine for a 90+ kg rider. Its much easier to buy an air fork, and set it up straight out of the box, because coils are only great if they are matched to your weight.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 08, 2011 10:24 pm

Another vote for air forks, and the RS Tora's in particular. At those prices they are outstanding value.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon May 09, 2011 10:06 am

The other thing about Air Forks is that if the "seals" go it costs about $130 to pay for a shop to do it.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon May 09, 2011 10:17 am

mitzikatzi wrote:The other thing about Air Forks is that if the "seals" go it costs about $130 to pay for a shop to do it.
Not a home job?

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon May 09, 2011 10:39 am

The Womble wrote:
mitzikatzi wrote:The other thing about Air Forks is that if the "seals" go it costs about $130 to pay for a shop to do it.
Not a home job?
Not for everybody :roll: Still maybe $60 in parts. Peoples skills and amount of tools vary. The same as replacing cartridge bearings not everybody is happy to do it themselves. Some people pay a LBS to change the brake pads on disc brakes or fit a new tube :lol:

I was just making the comment that it is something to thing consider. The ongoing operating cost.

I think for the occasional rider, larger rider, lower skilled rider? or someone who doesn't do there own maintance a well set up coil spring fork may be a better option then a cheap air fork.
Fox have put a lot of design into getting there forks "plush" they cost a lot more than a Tora.

zero

Postby zero » Mon May 09, 2011 11:41 am

mitzikatzi wrote:

more and air spring compresses the faster it "shoots" back/out.
No. Both types of forks are oil damped.

Control over this is specifically down to the design of the fork. My tora dating back to the stone ages has both oil damping, and an external rebound control for setting the rebound rate on the left leg.

The setting on right leg allows you to take active control over the primary air springing rate (as thats how it achieves lockout), so I have analogue settings anywhere between locked out and fully sprung. Some designs remote that to the bars, though I have no trouble reaching it and adjusting it on the move.
mitzikatzi wrote:
Not for everybody :roll: Still maybe $60 in parts. Peoples skills and amount of tools vary. The same as replacing cartridge bearings not everybody is happy to do it themselves. Some people pay a LBS to change the brake pads on disc brakes or fit a new tube :lol:

I was just making the comment that it is something to thing consider. The ongoing operating cost.
No again. Seals failing is actually very rare, and both types of fork suffer from it. You let the oil out, or the dirt into your coil fork and you have a $20 boinger. As a point of reference, my air forks are over 25000 kms and 5 years old. The seals haven't failed. I'd generally expect that out of either type unless the evironment was relentlessly muddy.

I think for the occasional rider, larger rider, lower skilled rider? or someone who doesn't do there own maintance a well set up coil spring fork may be a better option then a cheap air fork.
Fox have put a lot of design into getting there forks "plush" they cost a lot more than a Tora.
Again no, less likely to get a fork that suits the rider if its a coil out of the box. Ideally you need to order it with the right springs, which makes it hard to buy at a discount. Air fork, you'll just set the right pressure on it and its right.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon May 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Coil vs Air is almost as good as which chain lube. Bacon fat by the way.

Most manufacters have gone to a lot of trouble to make there air forks as plush as there coil forks

Air vs Coil Fork?
Air or Coil 2
Coil v air
air or coil
coil air

lots of different views. As always with forums you have to troll through a lost of not relevent posts. And yes some relevent to all mountain riding.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:32 pm

ozynigma

Postby ozynigma » Sun May 15, 2011 7:05 pm

igstar wrote:I have a hardtail which I use occasionally to ride forest and cross-country trails - nothing too rigorous or technical. I'm finding my current RST bottoms out when I hit deeper ditches at higher speeds. Should I install stronger springs and might be better just buying another fork altogether? I want to spend upto about $200 for something used. What should I look for in that budget range?
For that budget a new or good condition Rockshox air fork would be the way to go. Fox tends to be more expensive for the same travel and age.

Tora is cheapest, then Recon, both with single air chamber. If you can stretch to a good second hand Reba with dual air then you are in a whole new class of suspension.

I have bought Tora's for $200 (used) and Recon's for $330 (new).

I have some 2005 Reba U Turn forks, but they are still going strong on my son's bike and are not for sale. My point is pick some of those up in good condition second hand and you will transform your bike compared to RST's.

Just watch out, some of the Tora's are cheaper coil forks.

igstar

Postby igstar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks for the help - as usual the views are so diverse that it makes it hard to choose, but it showed me what to look for. Ended up getting Rock Shox Tora Air. Took it for a small ride through a quary and straight away notived the difference from my old RST. Smoth like a baby's bottom!
Can't wait for a proper ride soon. Any idea anyone when You Yangs will be opening? At least the plantation section.

jheeno

Postby jheeno » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:18 am

I vote for the rock shox tora

I've got the Tora SL Coil

you can definitely find one within your budget

There would be plenty of people out there upgrading to more expensive forks so it may be easier to come by

Would you mind second hand ?

You can probably find $500-$700 used ones for around the $200-$300 mark based on age and condition
ones I've seen for sale were serviced before being posted for sale for piece of mind

Eberbachl

Postby Eberbachl » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 am

Hi Guys,

Sorry to the OP for deraling his thread, but I read this with interest and thought of my bike.

I have a Scott Aspen XC Hardtail, probably about 8 years old with a mix of LX and XT stuff on it. The forks are Manitou Axel Comps, which I understand at the time were an 'OK', fork - not bottom of the barrel, but basic and fairly entry level.

The Manitou's do the job I guess, but I've never been blown away by them ( a little on the pogo stick side ).

A question: Seeing as though the Rock Shox Tora Solos are selling new on eBay for $199 shipped, would they be a worthwhile cheap upgrade to my existing fork, or would I just be exchanging one entry level fork for another?

I know the bike's a bit of a dinosaur these days, but I'm not ready for a full bike upgrade for a while yet, and it's still going strong.

Thanks,

Luke.

:D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:00 pm

I have Solo Air internals on 2 out of 3 Lefty's, and it works well. Not 100% sure if it's RockShox, but very plush, no messing about on setup. If the "Solo" reference is to Solo Air, they will be an improvement for sure. Just set the air pressure to give you 25 to 15% sag with the rebound backed off fully, and you should be right.

Eberbachl

Postby Eberbachl » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Thanks Trailgumby... at that price I might give them a try.

Cheers,

Luke.

EDIT: OK - order placed. I'll definitely report back once I've got them on the bike and let you all know how they go compared to the Manitou Axel Comps.

;)