Beach/Water rides??

ShanDog

Beach/Water rides??

Postby ShanDog » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:29 pm

As a part of my new exercise routine I have to cycle every second day and to spruce it up a bit for my ride with my bro tomorrow, I was wondering if anyone knows some nice rides around 30km - 50km that are along the beaches or near some scenic water?

I have checked bikely a bit but its hard to know what to search for and what areas are nice. Preferably I would prefer to avoid eastern suburbs as I live north west of sydney in the hills district but I will be driving so even northen beaches or somewhere along the river systems would be fine.

Thanks guys
Shannon

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:48 pm

In Sydney, most beach side roads have fairly heavy vehicle traffic.

How about that well known Georges River cycle path? You won't be able to speed on it, but it's a fairly long route.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:52 pm

any chance you'd know of a bikely link or a url to see it on a map? I've never heard of it before but I'll google it now

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:30 pm

It's a well known bike path along that Georges River. Get a copy of RTA's bike map and it's all there.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:46 pm

sogood wrote:It's a well known bike path along that Georges River. Get a copy of RTA's bike map and it's all there.
Good suggestion.

Another option could be to catch a train somewhere and then do the ride.
- Waterfall to Gary beach and back or on to Audley then Sutherland, quite hilly.
- Stanwell park and then ride south into Wollongong and then train back.

From your place, you could ride to;
- Parramatta over the harbour bridge and then gladesville bridge and then on to Parramatta
- Botney Bay. as per the Parramatta route, but south to Bicentennial park, then over to cooks river and along cooks river to Botney bay.
- Kernell. Once you get to Botney bay, just keep going. Catch train back from Cronulla. There was a time when I use to ride occassionaly to Kernell before work. Ashfield to CBD via Kernell.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:17 pm

For road bikes the St Ives to Terry Hills and loop through the national park - Akuna Bay is lovely.

MTBing, Oxford falls is really nice, not much water. Manly Dam has a bit more water, shorter than Oxford falls however with more water. They even have MTB club rides in both locations I think, not too sure if you can just turn up, but have a look.

MTB is hard around the northern beaches as the roads a simply not that great for biking. A short route is along Manly beach and then up into the National Park at the heads with some great habour views, not very challenging but nice. Alternatively there are a few northern beaches MTB clubs / groups which you can check out.

Cheers
Christopher

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:45 pm

thanks guys... those sound like a few nice suggestions for me to check out tomorrow!!

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:42 am

You can do the Bay to Bay ride. From Homebush Bay to Botany Bay.

Start at the "trillage" at bicentenniel park and follow the signs to Brighton le sands / airport. Its a shared pathway so you won't be able to speed and it's more suited to mountian bikes as the path is quite rough in places. The course follows Georges river I think. It's deifinately on the RTA map.

Happy trails 8)

rider06

Postby rider06 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:51 pm

this guy pretty much describes the cooks river ride - homebush to botany bay. I have ridden it from ryde bridge to rookwood cemetery & it was a pretty easy ride - will be doing it at least 3 times a week once uni goes back. there is some road riding (no cycle paths) but they are not too busy. However if you are planning on going early on a weekend morning you will most likely have a bunch of lycra warriors up your backside...

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dnoble/r ... leway.html

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:52 pm

That link is pretty detailed... seems like a nice ride. Unfortunately, not only did it rain today, but I got called into work so no ride for me :( I'll make it up though