Can anyone recommend a trainer in BNE?

Comedian

Can anyone recommend a trainer in BNE?

Postby Comedian » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:46 am

The title of the thread says it all. Can anyone recommend a cycle trainer in BNE? I'm looking to better my MtCootha times and prepare for a little crit racing next year and I think I need help. :shock:

I don't know what help I need but I need lots. :mrgreen:

winstonw

Re: Can anyone recommend a trainer in BNE?

Postby winstonw » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:33 pm

For the record, a top down approach might help you find what you are looking for, though most may think this overkill.
I guess it depends on how serious you are and how much emphasis you want to place on a scientific, safe, and time efficient approach.

- Ask Cycling Australia for a list of high performance coaches near you.
- Same of Ian Melvin, Head Coach, Qld Academy of Sport, or his assistant Nick Formosa
- Marcel Bengston of MB Cycles, Milton, has a good reputation in some quarters.
- If you are intending to do crits, contact HPRW. Kim Flesser would be a start; or Uni of Qld cycling club.
- The boys at Dutton Cycles, North Lakes are highly respected.

- As discussed previously, if you want safe,optimal, time efficient performance progression, you may need to try several coaches, as you may pick up a couple of pearls from each.

- In addition, I'd recommend a consult with a sports physician for health screening, and risk management and education. I say this because even the best coaches are not medically trained to adequately screen or educate re risk mgt.

- I'd also suggest you get stress ECG, VO2max, functional threshold power confirmed by lactate testing to establish HR training zones, flat course and climb average powers, so you have some objective baseline against which to monitor progressions/adaptations.

- You might also include biomechanics baseline testing: range of motion, flexibility especially for aero positioning, strength, bike agility. Performance gains are a matter of exposing different physiological systems to an appropriate time and intensity dose of adaptive stress. It is most common for full time workers to overtrain (with junk hours), and under rest.

- I'd also suggest you see an experienced sports dietitian, and can give you a name if interested.

TTF3

Postby TTF3 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:33 pm

Look for Adrian at Bike Obsession or Cycl'd - he is friendly. http://www.boomtime.it

cheers

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Was talking with several of the gun time trialists at Nundah Criterium tonight.
One of them has used Nick Formosa at QAS in the past, and is now using Steven George at Camp Hill.
The three of them spoke very highly of Steven. His business is http://www.crankstar.com.au/

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks all. I'll those leads. I probably won't until after CQ but it will happen! :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Support someone who supports us here a lot and without charge!.
Talk to Alex.... http://bicycles.net.au/forums/memberlis ... ile&u=2706