Conquer Cancer Ride 2011

Re: Conquer Cancer Ride 2011

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Well I'm sure you and I are numbers 1 & 2 so far. You'd think there will be others keen to join us :)
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

by BNA » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:22 pm

BNA

Postby Oxford » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:22 pm

munga wrote:i nearly ran over a short, scruffy, kinda worried looking chap this morning, as he ran along the hard edge of the road near the new traffic lights on sumners rd, at the top of the mt ommaney offramp.

was that you, oxford?
Not me.

As for the ride, what can I say, it was hell fun as a "Bike Tech Moto" support person. Two days of riding the moto, about 700ms travelled by me, though that includes going home for the night (200km round trip over Mt Glorious at night/morning) as I really didn't want to camp overnight. I covered the course back and forth about twice each day. Did a mix of changing/pumping tyres/tubes, adjusting gears/brakes, spoking buckled wheels, adjusting cleats and did I mention changing tyres and tubes. I also changed some tyres and tubes and just for fun changed some more tyres and tubes. :mrgreen:

Seriously it was a great two days, extremely well catered and organised, shame some of the bike shops pulled out so "Bike Tech" at the pitstops was left to volunteers of which Toby was the only actual mechanic, the rest of us enthusiatic volunteers.

I will be back next year to volunteer, already working on a new system for carrying my toolbox and track pump to make it esier to access and work from, may even look at an electric compressor to make things a bit easier. Cannot recall how many tyres I pumped up over the weekend, would easily number in the hundreds.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby dobby » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:02 pm

I was a rider in the event (rider 0829) and thought the organisation of it was truly outstanding. The marshalling, directions and overall atmosphere amazing. The band for Saturday night entertainment (a covers band) called the Magic carpets were pretty good too. The ride course was quite do-able but there were lots of riders complaining, who in all fairness probably weren't equipped physically for the ride itself. That really doesn't matter that much - the "idea" behind the ride was to raise money for Cancer, meet some new people and have fun - which we did times 10.

I would love to be part of the BNA forums team next year.

Here is my Garmin reports of the ride:

Day 1:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108136874

Day 2:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108136844

The Day 1 map is slightly inaccurate (1) it went to sleep during the opening ceremony and I only realised it was off a couple minutes into the ride (at that time I was trying not to run into anyone) (2) I didn't reset it properly after day 1 and only reset it Sunday morning before starting the ride for day 2 so the ride time is wrong for completion of day 1. The distance might be 2 kms too short due to the power off error.
dobby

Postby Comedian » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:13 pm

dobby wrote:I was a rider in the event (rider 0829) and thought the organisation of it was truly outstanding. The marshalling, directions and overall atmosphere amazing. The band for Saturday night entertainment (a covers band) called the Magic carpets were pretty good too. The ride course was quite do-able but there were lots of riders complaining, who in all fairness probably weren't equipped physically for the ride itself. That really doesn't matter that much - the "idea" behind the ride was to raise money for Cancer, meet some new people and have fun - which we did times 10.

I would love to be part of the BNA forums team next year.

Here is my Garmin reports of the ride:

Day 1:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108136874

Day 2:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108136844

The Day 1 map is slightly inaccurate (1) it went to sleep during the opening ceremony and I only realised it was off a couple minutes into the ride (at that time I was trying not to run into anyone) (2) I didn't reset it properly after day 1 and only reset it Sunday morning before starting the ride for day 2 so the ride time is wrong for completion of day 1. The distance might be 2 kms too short due to the power off error.

How hilly was it? I see there were a lot of elevation changes. One of the guys at my work did it. He is not a regular rider who is overweight and was riding an old mountain bike. He said he didn't stop at all but there were lots of people walking up hills. He thought it was horrific. So horrific that he is considering not doing it next year due to the hills.

It would be a shame if they lost a lot of those occasional cyclists. He felt that they were the target audience so that might bite them.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby mcarrigg » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi,

I also rode the ride and while the route was hilly, it was exactly what I was expecting. My garmin stats are below. Day two the heart rate max i think was affected slightly by a bit of jersey flapping on a descent while the elevation profile went a bit haywire then stopped working until my lunch stop due to the rain I think...

Day 1
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108114760

Day 2
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108114736

Thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and gained a great deal out of it. As I said the route was hilly but I expected it so I enjoyed it (ok so slightly swayed from those thoughts on day 2 just coming into Fernvale or Ferndale into a strong headwind on the roughest course chip road imaginable)
mcarrigg

Postby gooldin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Mustang wrote:Rumor has it this will be the biggest bicycle fund raising event in Australia?? :D

Is this still true?

If you can spare a few dollars for a great cause please click the link below -

http://br13.conquercancer.org.au/site/TR/Events/Brisbane2013?px=1009009&pg=personal&fr_id=1110
gooldin

Postby lethoso » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:59 pm

Comedian wrote:How hilly was it? I see there were a lot of elevation changes. One of the guys at my work did it. He is not a regular rider who is overweight and was riding an old mountain bike. He said he didn't stop at all but there were lots of people walking up hills. He thought it was horrific. So horrific that he is considering not doing it next year due to the hills.

I looked at those garmin files and thought it was quite hilly... until I realised the elevation was in feet.
lethoso

Postby gooldin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:00 pm

It’s interesting to look at the different data from different machines! Have a look at my max temp, 30deg C, compared to your 26deg!! I’m running on a Garmin 500. I don’t know if I can trust these computers for precision! My max heart rate was apparently 100%, but then when you look at the chart it shows nothing of the sort!

Anyway, best weekend on the bike since I started riding under a year ago. I was the SMEC CAD Monkeys team captain, with my girlfriend driving the “Sweep #1, aka The Party Car” haha. The weather and scenery on Saturday was amazing I could not stop taking pics! Organisation was just fantastic, I could not find a fault, apart from the fact that the massage tent was pretty much book out straight away for the day! You’d think that the people who were arriving at camp at the end of the day would need one more than the fast guns who got there first and booked it out??

Great great great! Already registered for next year. $4.7 million, what a result! Lets double it next year!

If you can spare a few dollars for a great cause please click the link below -

http://br13.conquercancer.org.au/site/TR/Events/Brisbane2013?px=1009009&pg=personal&fr_id=1110
gooldin

Postby Oxford » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:53 pm

I had one person turn up for bike tech work who wore out his cleats walking up the hills. lucky for him another rider had an unserviceable bike and he donated his cleats to the cleatless rider.

as for the hills, the destination was known for a long time, anyone not expecting hills had their heads in the clouds. people were walking in the suburbs very early on, so the section from Fernvale to Somerset must have been gruelling and quite a shock.

personally I didn't notice the hills, but 500cc of engine did help. :mrgreen:
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby dobby » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:48 am

Hi Comedian (and others)

I live in Toowoomba so my "reality" of hilly against someone who lives on the Gold Coast and does lots of beach rides idea of hilly would be different. I also do at least one century ride most weekends, sometimes one midweek and another on the weekends with some cyclists who are much stronger than me. Similarly, people who don't ride much are going to think 3 hills is 2 too many. I have done a few good hilly climbs like Mt Tamborine, the Toowoomba Range, from Canungra to Tumbulgum through Numinbah and Natural bridge and this wasnt anything like any of those 3 mentioned.

From Brisbane to Fernvale was quite ok - I decided I wasn't going to push myself on the first day, because I knew that I had to back up again tomorrow and just took a casual, not too easy, but pretty easy pace. I also didn't know the route so I never hit a pace where I had to "be careful". From Fernvale to the dam site had some hills and a couple good climbs up the dam wall - but nothing like I haven't done before. It was hilly enough for me - but I would have happily done another 50kms of the same after a break at the campsite on Saturday for lunch, if I had too. I averaged about 25.5 kmh for the 120kms (approx) on day one.

Day 2 we had a lot of rain from Fernvale to about Gailes - so I rode slower and made sure I was always controlling the bike - I had a bad crash about 5 weeks ago and still am not 100% confident yet.

For people who ride a lot - the course wasn't that hard - but it was challenging enough depending how hard you want to ride. The course however wasn't for people just doing the ride without much training - and that might stop some participation - but the idea of the ride is to raise money for cancer - who cares if you walk a few hills.
dobby

Postby Mustang » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:49 am

dobby wrote:Hi Comedian (and others)

For people who ride a lot - the course wasn't that hard - but it was challenging enough depending how hard you want to ride. The course however wasn't for people just doing the ride without much training - and that might stop some participation - but the idea of the ride is to raise money for cancer - who cares if you walk a few hills.

Ia'm 59 yo & did as much training as I could, when I saw 30yos walking I felt pretty good that I rode the course both ways, at least Sunday we didnt have 80km on the legs before the hills, missed the last stop on Saturday thinking the camp was just down the road, (almost fatal) as the sign said.
I was so moved by the yellow flag riders...I must do it next year. Ditto to all the positive comments above.
"Comedian" your friend was right it would have been tough if you had'nt done the work?
Mustang

Postby mcarrigg » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:37 pm

Quite dissapointed in the photos released today. I passed the camera man probably no less than 4 or 5 occasions across the weekend and out of the 4400 odd images posted on the website, there is not a single one with me in it. Was going to use one to give to my sponsors with a Thanks card to show the jersey in all its glory...ohh well.

Maybe next year I might hire my own photographer...
mcarrigg

Postby Comedian » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:54 am

mcarrigg wrote:Quite dissapointed in the photos released today. I passed the camera man probably no less than 4 or 5 occasions across the weekend and out of the 4400 odd images posted on the website, there is not a single one with me in it. Was going to use one to give to my sponsors with a Thanks card to show the jersey in all its glory...ohh well.

Was your tag visible? Sometimes it isn't so you can't find you... look up someone you were riding with if possible.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby mcarrigg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:10 am

Comedian wrote:Was your tag visible? Sometimes it isn't so you can't find you... look up someone you were riding with if possible.

Hi mate, as far as I could tell it's not a searchable database. I literally clicked through all photos last night. It's not like sporting images where u can search by name or rider number.
mcarrigg

Postby dobby » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Mccarig

Id say the temperature differences were because you took a big break for lunch - I didnt take as much break and was at camp by about 11.40am on Saturday (but I didn't have many wheels to follow and rode solo for quite a while - I would have loved a bunch to ride with). PS mine is an Edge 800 Garmin.
dobby

Postby mcarrigg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 pm

dobby wrote:Mccarig

Id say the temperature differences were because you took a big break for lunch - I didnt take as much break and was at camp by about 11.40am on Saturday (but I didn't have many wheels to follow and rode solo for quite a while - I would have loved a bunch to ride with). PS mine is an Edge 800 Garmin.

Yeah the old garmin warms up somewhat after we stopped at the lunch stop for a bit over an hour. Sitting under the sun warmed her up.
mcarrigg

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:18 pm

I had a fabulous time on this ride. So much so, we have joined up again for 2012. Our team is Team Fitzroy Island.

After the ride, I treated myself to an upgrade for my rims :D
darkelf921

Postby Mustang » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:55 am

mcarrigg wrote:Quite dissapointed in the photos released today. I passed the camera man probably no less than 4 or 5 occasions across the weekend and out of the 4400 odd images posted on the website, there is not a single one with me in it. Was going to use one to give to my sponsors with a Thanks card to show the jersey in all its glory...ohh well.

Same here, lucky my family tagged along.
Mustang

Previous

Return to Queensland