My Speedwell Special Sports Project

vaeske

My Speedwell Special Sports Project

Postby vaeske » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 pm

I suppose its the time to try and re-build another one. Found this speedwell special sports unknown time or year, at the lifeline in capalaba for an alright sum of $69 dollars. I'm putting on new calipers, Red brev M flip flop wheelset and put it into a single speed. But before all that, can anyone tell me anything about this bike?

Torana68

Re: My Speedwell Special Sports Project

Postby Torana68 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:10 am

something like 1970 or a bit newer, Asian frame. . Although cheap at the time the ones Ive looked at are reasonabe for what they are (including internal rust treatment), but still heavy and cheap :D

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks for that! Totally agree with you being a heavy frame, but I love steel frames, plus it'll be converted to the SS/FG everyday commuter. I'll let you know the weight after i'm finished.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:35 pm

It looks the part, I love the old Speedwell logo. I must remember to spend more time in op shops :)
Long day's journey into alt-bars

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:28 pm

mate you and me both!

Okay chaps, need some more help now. How do I go about removing one of these and what tools I need?

here is the right side of the dropout. I don't really know what to make of it... anyone have any ideas on dating it?

thanks
Ethan

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:21 am

I think park tool HCW-11 is for these. Someone may have a Macgyver solution though.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:32 am

and Sheldon has the instructions.
And make sure which are the left and right threads, so the effort goes into loosening it, not inadvertedly tightening it.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:37 pm

oh dear...what have i gotten myself into. So i've found this type of bottom bracket on the speedwell which I absolutely have no idea about. The chaps at Gear Brisbane in West End today said they'll be able to get one from Velo-orange in the States. I'm going through the website now to try and find the right one. Anyone know if it is this one to get or where I can get a replacement square tapered axle say 107mm??

Either that or can I use this and then just get a standard un26 shimano square taper and mount it in?

threadless bottom bracket

Last edited by vaeske on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:44 pm

do a search these have turned up on here before

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:50 am

thanks Torana, I found the cartridge to be in okay condition so I went the cheap way out and found a 110mm BB axle from Ridgway Cycles. Packed it in and got the crank arms on, that was the easy part.

Wheelset came in and threw on both freewheel and fixed cog on rear, easy. Fork end decided to be a pain and not fit the front axle so I took it back to ridgway and those guys kindly angle grinded the backside slightly. Wheels can now go in, 60mm presta inners hopefully will come in tomorrow, wiring will be next and once that is done that will be that!

vaeske

Re: My Speedwell Special Sports Project - FINALLY DONE!

Postby vaeske » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:40 pm

So I've finally finished my SS/FG bike.

More photos to come this weekend.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:12 pm

Paint came up a treat with a polish.
By the odd lookin way the seat is slammed forward, the frame may be a little long in the TT for you maybe?

What's with the reflectors?

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:12 am

ahaha. yeah man, seat was slightly up and I certainly felt it, but frame is a 58cm and i'm 5'11 so might be a bit large-ish. I threw on the reflectors coz i had no spacers, took 'em off last night after I found one off an old shogun.

Got some more shots with everything lined up and pedals horizontal and all that jazz people are particular about. i'll put them on tonight. all in all, i'm happy with this half-decent result for a daily commuter.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:00 am

Yeah the grin factor on a 1st build is always high. Breathing new life into an old frame is cool too. Now u have components and build experience you can source a true track frame as budget allows in your size. Have a crack at fixed as well ,its worth it.

brasstinman

Postby brasstinman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:56 pm

Looks good vaeske. Love the red rims against the frame. It came up really well.
I wonder if a gold chain would look really good with the red rims/frame and the black crankset. Just a thought.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:35 pm

thanks fellas, i'll suss it out.

BRLVR.v2: I would love to get my hands on a vintage steel track frame, but no luck anywhere.

So i got this:

right now the only piece i'm trying to source are a pair of black velocity's and black spokes.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 pm

WeyHey, now that is nice piece of kit. You will be amazed at how well you can get up and boogie on a tight stiff, and light frame. Ally is noisier to ride from the running gear, and harsher, but it sure feels responsive.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:12 pm

brasstinman wrote:Looks good vaeske. Love the red rims against the frame. It came up really well.
I wonder if a gold chain would look really good with the red rims/frame and the black crankset. Just a thought.

Red is soooo not my color, but yeah those wheels suits this bike so good... 8)

Mayby get grey cranks ??
Those black ones are really sticking out.. :?

Other then that, nice bike !!!
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:31 pm

vaeske wrote:thanks fellas, i'll suss it out.

BRLVR.v2: I would love to get my hands on a vintage steel track frame, but no luck anywhere.

They are all on Fixed.org, but you gotta earn your stripes over there to view the marketplace. In fact most of the seriously cool stuff for sale on Oz is on that site and circulating amongst a small but discerning group, not just fixed either.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:09 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
vaeske wrote:thanks fellas, i'll suss it out.

They are all on Fixed.org, but you gotta earn your stripes over there to view the marketplace. In fact most of the seriously cool stuff for sale on Oz is on that site and circulating amongst a small but discerning group, not just fixed either.
Ahhhh, That explains it... no wonder they are absolutely thrashing people for posting silly !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, everyone is trying to earn their stripes at being able to use the marketplace! whats the requirement?

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:00 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:In fact most of the seriously cool stuff for sale on Oz is on that site and circulating amongst a small but discerning group, not just fixed either.
ssssshhhhhhhh :P

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:50 pm

jaseyjase wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:In fact most of the seriously cool stuff for sale on Oz is on that site and circulating amongst a small but discerning group, not just fixed either.
every since i saw that mcbain track bike you put together, i've been dreaming about a steel track frame everyday. This forum doesn't exactly have many as you can appreciate.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 pm

vaeske wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:
every since i saw that mcbain track bike you put together, i've been dreaming about a steel track frame everyday. This forum doesn't exactly have many as you can appreciate.
Yeah, apart from the odd intermember cross post /dual list, this place doesn't even get the crumbs of what's really out there.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:54 pm

vaeske wrote:ahaha. yeah man, seat was slightly up and I certainly felt it, but frame is a 58cm and i'm 5'11 so might be a bit large-ish.
Why would you say that? I was 6' when I had my two frames made anad both were 60cm? :?

Nice looking bike to. I had a Speedwell track frame when I was racing but the geometry wasn't that relaxed but then again, they made the road and track frames very different back then. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:30 pm

yeah, my other 58cm is the univega, but people at shops keep saying its too big for me! Everyone is saying i've got to be on 56cm frame.

Wow, so you're 183cm and you ride a 60cm frame?