New Windsor bridge

Kraeg

New Windsor bridge

Postby Kraeg » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:24 pm

A new bridge across the Hawkesbury river at Windsor is being started on this year, to be completed within 18 months. It'll be higher, so less of a climb into Windsor (but then less of a downhill when leaving Windsor, of course), and will have a walkway either side and a separate cycleway.

http://www.hawkesburygazette.com.au/new ... 26684.aspx

I hope they can eventually join the Windsor end of the Windsor Rd shared path to it.

Kraeg

Re: New Windsor bridge

Postby Kraeg » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:33 am

Duncan Gay officially announced the option they're going with earlier this month. There'll now be a shared path on the upstream side of the bridge (the animations of this are interesting... cyclists are riding to the right, and on the northern bike/pedestrian lane the light poles create obstructions... and pedestrians are standing in groups on the bridge's shared path talking).
Some artist concepts (not official) show there could be a link between the bridge shared path and the Windsor Rd shared path.

There's a community workshop this Wednesday I'm hoping to get along to to find out more (and maybe provide input from a cyclist's point of view).

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:22 am

Looks like an improvement, and with the initial two-lane setup there's a nice shoulder for the cyclist that doesn't want to deal with the shared path. Less so when they do the three-lane future works part.

Here's the RTA page on the subject.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 pm

I went along to the workshop tonight. RTA guys and some from a company that did a study made presentations. The latter mentioned "connectivity for pedestrians and cyclists"... whatever that means. It was dominated by folk who know each other from public council meetings and the chamber of commerce, and I'm the only one who mentioned cycling infrastructure. I'm drafting a detailed letter to the RTA guys regarding the new bridge and cycling infrastructure. I might run it by everyone here (by posting it in this thread) to get feedback... it looks like the Hawkesbury Gazette got it wrong about work starting this year, as there are still submissions and meetings and studies to be done. Gotta love bureaucracy!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:08 am

Thanks for the update Kraeg. At least in it's current form there's a descent on each side beofre you hit the bridge so that with a bit of HTFU means you'll get across at a reasonable pace. I haven't ever been hassle on there by cars (but pretty much everywhere else at various times ;) :roll: )
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS