XC MTB Racing Advice (Melb)

Eberbachl

XC MTB Racing Advice (Melb)

Postby Eberbachl » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've done a little recreational cross country over the years, and recently as I've been doing a bit of commuting and am getting a bit fitter, I thought I might like to try my hand at a cross country race.

I'm in the north of Melbourne (Doreen). Does anyone here based in Melbourne race? Any advice about clubs in my area or where to start?

Thanks,

Luke.

Eberbachl

Re: XC MTB Racing Advice (Melb)

Postby Eberbachl » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Does anyone here race XC?

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:03 am

Yes, but not in Melbourne. You can find a list of Victorian MTB Clubs here.

I do know Fullgas Promotions run Dirt Crits in the evenings just about all year http://www.fullgaspromotions.com.au/Dir ... dirt-crits . If you've got lights turn up and have a go.

Eberbachl

Postby Eberbachl » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks - that's a much better list of clubs than I found at MTBV.

I did send an email contact and via their web form to the Fat Tyre Flyers, who claim to be Victoria's biggest and oldest club, but no one has bothered to reply after a couple of weeks.

I've also got onto the Dirt Riders, who responded quickly to a Facebook wall post which was great, but they're over an hour away. I might have a go racing with them, but it would be good to find a club in the north of melbourne, or at least a little closer to.

;)

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:08 pm

You may get a better answer over on rotorburn.com many more XC riders & racers there than there are here.

Eberbachl

Postby Eberbachl » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks - I'll look it up ;)

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:35 am

Eberbachl wrote:Thanks - I'll look it up ;)
Eberbachl there are plenty of us that ride and train regularly on the Yarra Trails at Candlebark which is close to you. Take a ride on just about any evening and have a chat to anyone who looks "proper" fast and I'm sure that you'll be welcomed with advice and info. Moreover you'll be making friends with local riders and racers.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

Eberbachl

Postby Eberbachl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:32 am

Thanks for the invite - very kind. I'm not sure I look 'proper' fast enough though ;) :lol:

I'm familiar with that trail - I've ridden it a bit over the years and have seen some pretty fast looking riders. I'll have to get down there and see if I can pull someone up. Is there a regular ride or time?

Cheers,

Luke.

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:07 am

Eberbachl wrote:Thanks for the invite - very kind. I'm not sure I look 'proper' fast enough though ;) :lol:

I'm familiar with that trail - I've ridden it a bit over the years and have seen some pretty fast looking riders. I'll have to get down there and see if I can pull someone up. Is there a regular ride or time?

Cheers,

Luke.
Luke, there are several groups that ride on a regular basis but most of the racers train alone. Because of work pressures, most ride very early or late in the afternoon several times a week. It's just a matter of getting out there hammering the climbs and saying G'day to other riders. If you see someone at a pace that challenges you then just ask if they mind you trying to follow - rather than just tailing them.

For the next two weeks I'll be training on a blue fat bike for the SDBC so if you see me out there, then by all means say G'day. I won't be one of the "proper" fast riders though....
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

Eberbachl

Postby Eberbachl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks for the tips ;)

I've ridden west of Fitzsimons lane, towards the city - is that the trail you're talking about, or do you mean east towards Warrandyte?

Cheers,

Luke.

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:34 am

Just over the Warrandyte side of Fitzimmons. If you ride up the gravel section of the Main Yarra Trail for a couple of minutes you should start to see some singletrack sprouting off to the right.

There is lots of info in here.

Eberbachl

Postby Eberbachl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:50 am

Magic - thanks very much... I'll check it out.

;)