Insurance for Cyclosportive / Granfondo in Europe

tiredToRegister

Insurance for Cyclosportive / Granfondo in Europe

Postby tiredToRegister » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi all,
I will be very thankful if you could advise me on this one:
I am going to Europe and want to participate in Cyclsosportive (in France) / Granfondo (in Italy) cycling races. It is very popular and common kind of races in Europe.
The problem is that no one of the insurance companies I've called, is not covering for
any damage/imjury during the participation in any kind of race.
When I called to Cycling Australia / Cycling NSW, they told me that I can not be covered (even if I issue an international license) since those are not official UCI events. So when I asked about my options - the answer was "it's on your own risk"....
My question is whether someone can suggest me what to do in this case, besides racing on my own risk ?

Thanks in advance,
Leonid

RonK

Re: Insurance for Cyclosportive / Granfondo in Europe

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:55 am

You might try CycleCover...it's bundled with home and contents insurance so may not suit, but does offer the cover you seek. Whatever, make sure you read the fine print and understand fully the level of coverage.

For personal injury make sure you are covered by your travel insurance.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:46 pm

Are you after bike insurance or personal?.
Cyclosportives in France you will need a doctors certificate saying you are fit to ride competitive cycling ...every French sport requires that of everyone once a year...even young kids.Either get one in Oz and get it translated (if you need a translated let me know)...or get one in France.
I would think holiday insurance would cover you for the personnel side of things.Otherwise ring up one of the Australian tour companies and ask what sort of insurance they suggest for riders in Europe.

onrbikes

Postby onrbikes » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:28 pm

try these guys

www.insure4less.com.au