Perth Water front Redevelopment

weekendrider

Postby weekendrider » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:26 am

I was on the Perth water front redevelopment web site perthwaterfront com au and was interested to see in reading the FAQ’S this statement about riding along the river.

Q: Riverside path Will I still be able to ride my bike along the river edge?

A: The foreshore recreation path will remain and will be primarily for recreational users. Increased activities along the foreshore will change the nature of this path and it will become less suitable for higher speed, longer distance trips. Commuter cyclists or those wishing to travel at greater speeds will be accommodated through an on-street facility along Riverside Drive.

Now I must Admit, I don’t ride along there often, but when I do it’s nice to know that I can and that it’s “suitable” for me to do so. I am interested to hear other people’s views on this development and water front dual use path. I will add I am not anti the development I just like to know that as cyclists we are not pushed out.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:20 am

Ah, it all sounds good in political theory & carefully worded sales speak as sanctioned by the PR department that authorised the press release.

I appreciate its a sensitive area and topic for commuters, pedestrians and hard core circuit monkeys alike down on the city esplanade. But whatever promotes better awareness between the various users of the paths.. the better.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:33 pm

I'd be happy to see them put that bike lane on the road immediately. It's already too busy for both foot traffic and cyclists.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

cricetidae

Postby cricetidae » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:17 pm

Maybe it is the cynic in me but this plan will probably suffer the same fate as the others and be shelved as too hard or from change of government.

If they were really serious about getting people into the city they would deregulate trading and make sure that there are no empty premises along the main streets. Make it attractive to trade and shop in the city. The whole problem lies in the fact that the City of Perth council have been to be creating little fiefdoms that they have lost direction and once in office are no longer answerable.

I personally like the fact that there are no high rise developments along the foreshore but I am in favour of sinking Riverside Drive and bringing the river back to it's old path closer to Supreme Court Gardens. Small scale development of restaurants is then acceptable.

This has the hallmarks of becoming an enclave of overpriced restaurants and closed to the public most of the time.
Todd

Masi Nouva Strada '06
Scott Scale 50 '08

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:24 pm

Never fear... I'm sure we've got the best Council money can buy

*ahem*

Sorry, I'm never one to be left out when there's a Cynic party going on ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.