Hobart

malocchio

Hobart

Postby malocchio » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:52 pm

wow... just wow. I just got back from an extended weekend in Hobart and was salivating at all the amazing roads y'all have down there! Minimal traffic and a whole bunch of vertical metres to climb... I want to go back! We stayed in Salamanca Place and saw a heap of riders out on some pretty tasty bikes. Seems like there's a few Baum riders down there too.. kudos!

Pity about consuming my bodyweight in cheese and wine... at least I'll be quicker on the descents right now :)

Next time I come back (oh I will be back) - I'm bringing the bike and I'll be acquainting myself with Mt Wellington. Are there any other "must do's" for a Melbourne lad that doesn't mind a slog up through the Dandenongs?

mcdurdin

Re: Hobart

Postby mcdurdin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:59 pm

Glad you had so much fun in Hobart! A slog through the Dandenongs is the daily commute for riders here in Hobart. So it really depends on how far you like to ride and how much of a masochist you are. If you have something to prove, ride out to Gordon Dam and back (2-3 day return, riding from Hobart). If you just want to enjoy yourself, do the Commando route to Mt Wellington (here's an abbreviated version: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Th ... Wellington).

Basically, any direction out of Hobart, stay off the highways and there's heaps of great climbing. Plenty of us'd be happy to show a Melbourne boy around, let us know when you are back in town!
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

malocchio

Postby malocchio » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:06 pm

Cheers mate - thanks for the info and I'll definitely keep you posted when I return :-)

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:42 am

If you're up for a longer ride (about an imperial century - without the mountain), the 'extended commando' is a top ride - just go straight ahead on the channel hwy at margate instead of turning right and follow the road down around the peninsular, through Kettering, woodbridge and cygnet to huonville. If you want to tour - take your bike across to Bruny Island for a couple of days - if you like cheese, do not I repeat DO NOT miss the Bruny island cheese co.!

Otherwise, at Huonville take a right turn onto the huon highway, a left at the top of st vincents saddle onto the old huonville road, then a left onto sandfly road - and you're back on the commando route at Longley (about 10km from the bottom of pinnacle rd). :mrgreen:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:39 am

m@ wrote:If you're up for a longer ride (about an imperial century - without the mountain), the 'extended commando' is a top ride - just go straight ahead on the channel hwy at margate instead of turning right and follow the road down around the peninsular, through Kettering, woodbridge and cygnet to huonville. If you want to tour - take your bike across to Bruny Island for a couple of days - if you like cheese, do not I repeat DO NOT miss the Bruny island cheese co.!

Otherwise, at Huonville take a right turn onto the huon highway, a left at the top of st vincents saddle onto the old huonville road, then a left onto sandfly road - and you're back on the commando route at Longley (about 10km from the bottom of pinnacle rd). :mrgreen:

hmmm, i am getting some Bruny Island Cheese for lunch
when do we stop for coffee???

Giant Pete

Postby Giant Pete » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:16 pm

m@ wrote:If you're up for a longer ride (about an imperial century - without the mountain), the 'extended commando' is a top ride - just go straight ahead on the channel hwy at margate instead of turning right and follow the road down around the peninsular, through Kettering, woodbridge and cygnet to huonville.
If you want to punish yourself further: before you get to Huonville, take Pelverata Road through to Sandfly, then left, across the highway and continue on from Longley.

If you hadn't noticed, there are plenty of sado-masochists on this forum :twisted: