Danger Zones

rdp_au

Danger Zones

Postby rdp_au » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:19 am

There are some places we ride through that are just plain dangerous. Busy roads, high speed traffic, multilane roundabouts, badly planned merges are all the things we know to avoid if at all possible. Even though it is none of those, and with due respect to the fine folk who live there, I’ve found Eastwood in Sydney to be a pretty potent danger zone. During my regular commuting trips, the highest concentration of erratic behaviour, foolishness, and plain bloody mindedness that I experience seems to be concentrated in the area in the general vicinity of Eastwood station. It’s not just motorists, but pedestrians and bike riders as well. Here’s a few recent examples;

Dark night, not raining, but roads wet. Outside the station entrance, a bike rides off the footpath between two parked cars and onto the road without looking, nearly collecting me. Bike was black, rider dressed in black. No lights, no helmet.

Another dark night, riding along a quiet (and relatively dark) street near the station and a pedestrian steps off the curb onto the road without looking. He was dark skinned, and dressed completely in black. Even with Ayups and fenex torch blazing, I didn’t see him until it was nearly too late.

Morning, good conditions. Car pulls up abruptly directly outside the station entrance to offload passengers. Not an unusual occurrence at that time of day, and I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve been passed by a car only to have them hook left straight in front of me to drop off passengers. But this driver made no attempt to pull over and chose to stop the middle of the road, completely blocking it while four passengers gathered all their gear and disembarked. This was just around a blind corner.

Another morning, also good conditions. Bus on the other side of the road moving slowly as it tries to get into the bus stop that is blocked by a car dropping off passengers. Car behind the bus pulls out onto the wrong side of the road (my side!) to pass, nearly collecting me and the car behind me. The driver did have the kindness to offer me a peace sign as he went past.

I could go on, but I’m sure you get the drift. Needless to say, I’m on full alert heading through the area and always take it very easy.

find_bruce

Re: Danger Zones

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Aww great, now I have Kenny Loggins in my head and visions of Tom Cruise cycling through Earlwood :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:49 pm

Never thought of that. Now I'll be humming that through Eastwood..

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:39 pm

Eastwood ? I'm thinking more of this great movie one liner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOxGL5G8Pbk.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:25 pm

find_bruce wrote:Aww great, now I have Kenny Loggins in my head and visions of Tom Cruise cycling through Earlwood :D
or the iceman...