Directions from Homebush to Rooty Hill.

joabocop

Directions from Homebush to Rooty Hill.

Postby joabocop » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the road nike thing and have recently bought a bike for some extra training. I plan to commute each day from Homebush to Rooty Hill for work and back. I'm not sure about the M4? Is it safe? I have looked at different maps and can't find a clear way to ride. Also, can you ride Para Rd out towards church st or are you to close to traffic? a lot of questions i know but im super keen to start asap and thought i should try and get some bearings before i jump into it..

fringe_dweller

Re: Directions from Homebush to Rooty Hill.

Postby fringe_dweller » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Hey mate,

Here's the route I used to take when I was working at Rhodes:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/37729657

It's from Richmond, but would be 98% transferable for you. As far as the M4 goes, you're on cycleway between Church Street and Homebush Bay. I only had a few idiots yell out - just make sure that you're lit up like a Christmas tree front and rear and you will be fine.

Hope that helps.

Grant

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Second go at posting on this thread. Last night, there were some other posts on this thread - one from commurider, one from someone else and one from me.

The M4 option now posted by fringe_dweller is safe enough that I see plenty of other cyclists commuting on it in peak hours - in both directions. Be cautious at the off-ramps and on-ramps, but they shouldn't be terrifying because the peak-hour crawl will slow them.

Just a warning: over the last few weeks, the M4 shoulder has been closed at Reservoir Rd for bridge repairs. A detour thru the servo's was necessary. Can't recall if it was open on Friday evening.

If you're really worried about it, you could go a longer route via the Parramatta River Cycleway from Homebush to Parramatta, then thru Parramatta Park, around the southern side of Westmead Hospital, up Old Windsor Rd (shared path/cycleway) to M7 cycleway, then back along that to Rooty Hill. Extra km's, but you did say your goal was to do some extra training :)

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Pakman

Postby Pakman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:39 pm

I have started working at Arndell Park (next to Blacktown) and live in Parramatta. Here is the most direct route I use that runs parallel to the Great Western Highway. There are are couple of alleyways (near fox hill golf course and flushcombe road) that let you maintain a direct route without taking on the Highway/Freeway. You should be able to pick those up via zooming in on Garmin Map.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/105517628

To get from Homebush to Parramatta - there is a well established bike route that runs next to Parramatta River/South Street. You ride over Silverwater bridge from SOP and its pretty straightforward from there.

Hope this helps.