Conquer Cancer Ride 2011

lethoso

Re: Conquer Cancer Ride 2011

Postby lethoso » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:59 pm

Comedian wrote:How hilly was it? I see there were a lot of elevation changes. One of the guys at my work did it. He is not a regular rider who is overweight and was riding an old mountain bike. He said he didn't stop at all but there were lots of people walking up hills. He thought it was horrific. So horrific that he is considering not doing it next year due to the hills.
I looked at those garmin files and thought it was quite hilly... until I realised the elevation was in feet.

gooldin

Postby gooldin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:00 pm

It’s interesting to look at the different data from different machines! Have a look at my max temp, 30deg C, compared to your 26deg!! I’m running on a Garmin 500. I don’t know if I can trust these computers for precision! My max heart rate was apparently 100%, but then when you look at the chart it shows nothing of the sort!

Anyway, best weekend on the bike since I started riding under a year ago. I was the SMEC CAD Monkeys team captain, with my girlfriend driving the “Sweep #1, aka The Party Car” haha. The weather and scenery on Saturday was amazing I could not stop taking pics! Organisation was just fantastic, I could not find a fault, apart from the fact that the massage tent was pretty much book out straight away for the day! You’d think that the people who were arriving at camp at the end of the day would need one more than the fast guns who got there first and booked it out??

Great great great! Already registered for next year. $4.7 million, what a result! Lets double it next year!

Cheers,
Kev

dobby

Postby dobby » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:48 am

Hi Comedian (and others)

I live in Toowoomba so my "reality" of hilly against someone who lives on the Gold Coast and does lots of beach rides idea of hilly would be different. I also do at least one century ride most weekends, sometimes one midweek and another on the weekends with some cyclists who are much stronger than me. Similarly, people who don't ride much are going to think 3 hills is 2 too many. I have done a few good hilly climbs like Mt Tamborine, the Toowoomba Range, from Canungra to Tumbulgum through Numinbah and Natural bridge and this wasnt anything like any of those 3 mentioned.

From Brisbane to Fernvale was quite ok - I decided I wasn't going to push myself on the first day, because I knew that I had to back up again tomorrow and just took a casual, not too easy, but pretty easy pace. I also didn't know the route so I never hit a pace where I had to "be careful". From Fernvale to the dam site had some hills and a couple good climbs up the dam wall - but nothing like I haven't done before. It was hilly enough for me - but I would have happily done another 50kms of the same after a break at the campsite on Saturday for lunch, if I had too. I averaged about 25.5 kmh for the 120kms (approx) on day one.

Day 2 we had a lot of rain from Fernvale to about Gailes - so I rode slower and made sure I was always controlling the bike - I had a bad crash about 5 weeks ago and still am not 100% confident yet.

For people who ride a lot - the course wasn't that hard - but it was challenging enough depending how hard you want to ride. The course however wasn't for people just doing the ride without much training - and that might stop some participation - but the idea of the ride is to raise money for cancer - who cares if you walk a few hills.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:49 am

dobby wrote:Hi Comedian (and others)

For people who ride a lot - the course wasn't that hard - but it was challenging enough depending how hard you want to ride. The course however wasn't for people just doing the ride without much training - and that might stop some participation - but the idea of the ride is to raise money for cancer - who cares if you walk a few hills.
Ia'm 59 yo & did as much training as I could, when I saw 30yos walking I felt pretty good that I rode the course both ways, at least Sunday we didnt have 80km on the legs before the hills, missed the last stop on Saturday thinking the camp was just down the road, (almost fatal) as the sign said.
I was so moved by the yellow flag riders...I must do it next year. Ditto to all the positive comments above.
"Comedian" your friend was right it would have been tough if you had'nt done the work?
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

mcarrigg

Postby mcarrigg » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:37 pm

Quite dissapointed in the photos released today. I passed the camera man probably no less than 4 or 5 occasions across the weekend and out of the 4400 odd images posted on the website, there is not a single one with me in it. Was going to use one to give to my sponsors with a Thanks card to show the jersey in all its glory...ohh well.

Maybe next year I might hire my own photographer...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:54 am

mcarrigg wrote:Quite dissapointed in the photos released today. I passed the camera man probably no less than 4 or 5 occasions across the weekend and out of the 4400 odd images posted on the website, there is not a single one with me in it. Was going to use one to give to my sponsors with a Thanks card to show the jersey in all its glory...ohh well.

Was your tag visible? Sometimes it isn't so you can't find you... look up someone you were riding with if possible.

mcarrigg

Postby mcarrigg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:10 am

Comedian wrote: Was your tag visible? Sometimes it isn't so you can't find you... look up someone you were riding with if possible.
Hi mate, as far as I could tell it's not a searchable database. I literally clicked through all photos last night. It's not like sporting images where u can search by name or rider number.

dobby

Postby dobby » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Mccarig

Id say the temperature differences were because you took a big break for lunch - I didnt take as much break and was at camp by about 11.40am on Saturday (but I didn't have many wheels to follow and rode solo for quite a while - I would have loved a bunch to ride with). PS mine is an Edge 800 Garmin.

mcarrigg

Postby mcarrigg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 pm

dobby wrote:Mccarig

Id say the temperature differences were because you took a big break for lunch - I didnt take as much break and was at camp by about 11.40am on Saturday (but I didn't have many wheels to follow and rode solo for quite a while - I would have loved a bunch to ride with). PS mine is an Edge 800 Garmin.
Yeah the old garmin warms up somewhat after we stopped at the lunch stop for a bit over an hour. Sitting under the sun warmed her up.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:18 pm

I had a fabulous time on this ride. So much so, we have joined up again for 2012. Our team is Team Fitzroy Island.

After the ride, I treated myself to an upgrade for my rims :D

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:55 am

mcarrigg wrote:Quite dissapointed in the photos released today. I passed the camera man probably no less than 4 or 5 occasions across the weekend and out of the 4400 odd images posted on the website, there is not a single one with me in it. Was going to use one to give to my sponsors with a Thanks card to show the jersey in all its glory...ohh well.

Same here, lucky my family tagged along.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.