sticky V-brakes

xyz55

sticky V-brakes

Postby xyz55 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:54 pm

I've just fitted new brake blocks but can't seem to get the brakes centered again. One side seems to rub all the time unless I back the adjustment right off. I've put a drop of oil on the moving parts but not the cables yet as I'm not sure if you're supposed to. Is this a cable replacement job?
currently riding around Australia: www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:59 pm

G'day David

There are long wires which are clipped under little studs at the top of the caliper. You can unclip them and adjust the tension by bending them in or out and there is a screw which has limited adjustment there, if you look for it you will see it. Whether you adjust the wire spring inwards or out wards depends on how well the calipers are returning. If they are returning well then bend the one on the side with the gap inwards. If they are reluctant to return then bend the spring on the side that is rubbing outwards.

Failing that, you have my phone number from another matter, so you can phone me if it's not clear what I mean.

Good luck with it.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:17 am

Good question, and good explanation MG! I occasionally notice this on my Vs as well, will go check out this spring thingy tomorrow when it's light...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Check for bulged or rusty posts causing stickiness too. There's usually more than one hole on the post for the springy thing, that might help wth centring.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:46 am

What brand Vs are they?

The Avids on the Black Beast have never given me problems.
The Tektros on the bent are bloody awful for this ... or maybe it's the paint on the frame mount and I haven't work it in yet.

Quite frankly, I'm not impressed with the Tektros at all, and considering the Avids are Avid5's, it's not as though I'm comparing bottom end with top end.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

rider06

Postby rider06 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:07 pm

I agree about the tektros - i have them on my CRX (about the only thing i haven't changed) and they have been a hell of a lot more fiddly than any shimano v-brakes i have ever had, especially the front one. might start looking for either shimano or avid replacements - already have avid levers...
Rehab is for quitters!

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Mine are Tektro as well.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:32 pm

I've been having the same problem with Tekros on mine too. Just adjusting the pads in as they wear down has caused them to play up. Each morning before a ride I adjust them. They're OK until I check them after the ride.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:59 pm

Good, I'm not just being hard to get on with seeing the bike came with Tektros, not the Avid's I'd expected 8)

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:53 pm

europa wrote:not the Avid's I'd expected
I just love my old fashioned self centering Avid Canti brakes :lol: Apparently the parts are still available in the UK. You could always order a set.

Kev.