Post Your Ride

silentbutdeadly

Re: Post Your Ride

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:11 pm

drubie wrote:Oooh, that things looks *purposeful* - there is something very funky about bitsa MTBs, generally it indicates that whoever owns it knows what they're doing (at least mechanically).
Ha!! That's bit like saying an engineer knows how to build a bridge but needs to be told where to actually put it...or what to do with it. Damned with faint praise!! :D :D :D

Does make me wonder what the Anthem might look like in a few years.... :twisted:
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:18 pm

My new ride (new to me anyway) Giant Trance X1 2008
Took it out to the Kiwarrak forest on Saturday and it was unbeleivable. I were amazed how good hydro brakes are over mechancial ones. Cant wait to get back out there!
Cheers
Nicko

limetang

Postby limetang » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Back again, few changes since last pic.... I like to have a little project or two!
Installed 2011 Recon Silver TK's ( including my first crown race install and star nut install), new Truvativ Stylo post (needed the 25mm setback) and Fizik Aliante Sport via these forums, bling spacers (not red enough for my liking!) Total cost for the bike and extra bits so far is still under 1K, took it out for 30km before and its near on perfect for me!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Looks sweet limetang, what running gear on it?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

limetang

Postby limetang » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:39 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Looks sweet limetang, what running gear on it?

Shaun
Full Deore as stock Mulger, first bike Ive ever had with hydro discs.. they kick the cr@p out of my old v-brakes!
The Recons are instantly better than the Dart forks that came with the bike, lighter, stiffer and a helluva lot smoother!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:29 pm

All that for $1000ish?

One word: SCORE!!! 8)

Have a ball mate.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:24 am

After the piece of scaffolding I posted earlier...here's the other project. A ubiquitous 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er that's now dressed with Crank Brother Cobalt wheels, Geax AKA tyres, Ergon grips and a shortened OE bar.

Phil

Postby Phil » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:25 am

The new beastie, cos I wanted a Hardtail and a 29er made sense, and my LBS love me so gave me an awesome deal on it.

The Downtube is fat. Really FAT in fact.

Shifter

Postby Shifter » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:56 am

Phil wrote:The new beastie, cos I wanted a Hardtail and a 29er made sense, and my LBS love me so gave me an awesome deal on it.

The Downtube is fat. Really FAT in fact.
Sweet garage door! Nice colours on the bike too :)
2017 Norco Optic C9.2
2010 Malvern Star Oppy A4

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:15 am

Phil wrote:The Downtube is fat. Really FAT in fact.
That's Giants way of saying you don't need a front mudguard...although I highly recommend some Frameskin on there!!

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:01 pm

limetang wrote:Back again, few changes since last pic.... I like to have a little project or two!
Installed 2011 Recon Silver TK's ( including my first crown race install and star nut install), new Truvativ Stylo post (needed the 25mm setback) and Fizik Aliante Sport via these forums, bling spacers (not red enough for my liking!) Total cost for the bike and extra bits so far is still under 1K, took it out for 30km before and its near on perfect for me!

I just noticed your tyres and might suggest you be careful with those Conti Explorers. My MTB had them as stock when I bought it and I found the front tended to lose traction in dusty/sandy conditions. I had several stacks and lost quite bit of skin in several 'offs' when my front wheel slipped out from under me on sandy/dusty corners. As I was then new to MTB I thought it was just the nature of the riding, but having gone onto other tyres I've not had the same problem. It's just my experience and maybe others have found them OK, but I thought I'd warn you.

I'm a long time Conti user on road bikes and some the of the Conti MTB tyres have a good reputation, but the Explorers didn't impress me at all.

Cheers

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:43 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:...although I highly recommend some Frameskin on there!!
And how, the noise will drive you nuts.

Jean, those tyres look to be hardpack runners, fast on firm surfaces but pigs in the loose stuff. Horses for courses.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:18 am

Mulger bill wrote:Jean, those tyres look to be hardpack runners, fast on firm surfaces but pigs in the loose stuff. Horses for courses.

Shaun
Agreed, just warning in case his course does in involve sandy and dusty conditions - they let go without warning and I lost quite a bit of bark. I found them fine on hard pack and pretty decent in the wet too. They are probably fine for some damp Germanic forest with Heidi picking mushrooms or hunting boar in the background :) , but useless at Mt Stromlo.

limetang

Postby limetang » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Jean wrote:I just noticed your tyres and might suggest you be careful with those Conti Explorers. My MTB had them as stock when I bought it and I found the front tended to lose traction in dusty/sandy conditions.
Your dead right.... not confidence inspiring in sandy stuff. I got an old (but less than 100km) set of WTB Velociraptors in the shed, might give them a go...

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:43 pm

My Yeti ASR, XO grip shift, XO rear mech, XT front der,cranks, hubs, Easton stem, PRO carbon bars, Syntace P6 seatpost, Flite carbonio saddle, Maxxis Crossmarks

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:35 am

Finally gave in to temptation and bought my new toy over the weekend:

Focus Whistler with upgraded forks for remote lock-out. Looking forward to celebrating end of Uni semester this weekend by getting it (and myself) very dirty.

PS :: Please ignore the empty slab of Stow Away keeping the front wheel steady :oops:.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:24 pm

Well if brokenbus has recently had his bike stolen ...

I have been on a handful of rides, so noob alert. Only stopped today to take a picture cause nothing was feeling smooth or right. Also I forgot my gloves and forgot my nicks ...

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:54 pm

I forgot my gloves on this ride too...
Didn't matter - the bike handled perfectly.
Though - other than 25% sag - I still need to read up on setting air pressure for the shocks...

Shifter

Postby Shifter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:33 pm

Not trying to rag on your bike Kenzo, but I reckon last year's Anthem colours were a lot better than this year's lot. Good to hear it handles ace though.
2017 Norco Optic C9.2

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:50 pm

Shifter wrote:Not trying to rag on your bike Kenzo, but I reckon last year's Anthem colours were a lot better than this year's lot. Good to hear it handles ace though.
:cry:

nah - it's all good - I prefer the 2012 colour (of the X1) - I had the option of either from runout 2011 stock or new. I didn't like the liberal splashes of blue and especially didn't like the blue fork (sorry Mulger)...
EDIT: actually, Mulger got the trance with black Forks....

Shifter

Postby Shifter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:52 pm

Kenzo wrote:
Shifter wrote:Not trying to rag on your bike Kenzo, but I reckon last year's Anthem colours were a lot better than this year's lot. Good to hear it handles ace though.

nah - it's all good - I prefer the 2012 colour (of the X1) - I had the option of either from runout 2011 stock or new. I didn't like the liberal splashes of blue and especially didn't like the blue fork (sorry Mulger)...
I was really keen on last years red and grey X2 but held off the purchase and ended up getting a Trance instead. Since it's plain old silver and black I'm hunting around wiggle for some bling to add a bit more colour :)

Will get some photos up once done.
2017 Norco Optic C9.2

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:01 pm

same old same old

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Kenzo wrote:

'Sright, the frippery will vanish over time. The brake upgrade means the hoses are the right colour, as soon as cable issues arise there'll be new ones in the right colour. The uncomfortable to me saddle with its blue ano rails is in the marketplace.
The rest of the frame is reasonable, tho' methinks the white suspension links are off. Reckon on a repaint for them at first overhaul. The high gloss black with a subtle multicolour metalflake looks great in the right light 8)
London Boy 29/12/2011

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:47 am

Kenzo wrote:I forgot my gloves on this ride too...
Though - other than 25% sag - I still need to read up on setting air pressure for the shocks...
starts drooling

how much was that bike

i was looking at the xtc like red colour better than black and white

hey outta curiosity how much does it weigh

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:35 am

bardynt wrote:
Kenzo wrote:I forgot my gloves on this ride too...
starts drooling

how much was that bike

i was looking at the xtc like red colour better than black and white

hey outta curiosity how much does it weigh
I got the bike from Ferry Rd Cycles at Southport on the Gold Coast. RRP was $2999 - but I asked for the best price theycould give me and it was a good price - I won't say what as it just undermines the people that did me a good deal... sorry.
I really liked it at Ferry Rd. I was made welcome and talked to like a cyclist, not just a sales prospect. (Same goes at Cyc'd for Bikes in Morningside BNE but Ferry Rd gave me a better deal.)
Anyways - weight? Don't know - I was going to go to the garage with some scales last night out of curiosity but never got around to it... Will let you know tonight...