Trying track riding

nickj_d

Re: Trying track riding

Postby nickj_d » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:18 am

Actually, I think I meant to say
nickj_d wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Racing isn't just about winning or losing, it's also about beating your mates.

+1, though lately its also good to be earning points for the team (Penrith - trying to get 3rd in the team championship).

"Dougy"
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:24 am

nickj_d wrote:vander, i dropped in one friday night just to watch scotto go around. i stepped one foot inside the place and realised straight away I had to get a track bike and get out there. luckily for me, that night someone was selling an entry level bike, and the next week i was out there scaring the other riders riding in novice. it's definately a thrill and a rush to be out there racing on the boards :D :D :D and a great way to spend friday night.
FTFY
nickj_d wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Racing isn't about winning or losing, it's about beating your mates.

+1, though lately its also good to be earning points for the team (Penrith - trying to get 3rd in the team championship).
I think that if LACC and Penrith teamed up, we could beat Dulwich Hill. Maybe next year we could have Westies versus Hipsters and get some flanno jerseys and mullet helmets.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:38 am

nickj_d wrote:vander, i dropped in one friday night just to watch scotto go around. i stepped one foot inside the place and realised straight away I had to get a track bike and get out there. luckily for me, that night someone was selling an entry level bike, and the next week i was out there starting in novice. it's definately a thrill and a rush to be out there racing on the boards :D :D :D and a great way to spend friday night.

"Dougy"
Don't say that there is no chance I can afford another bike. I already want to buy one. Just watching a few videos on track racing made me want to. I will be there on Friday for sure.

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:29 pm

nickj_d wrote:Actually, I think I meant to say
nickj_d wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Racing isn't just about winning or losing, it's also about beating your mates.

"Dougy"
last weeks mystery race was one of my favourites of the year, mostly because we got our act together and used team work. 3 penrith riders controlled the front from lap 5 until the final lap (lap 13 i think). our first rider went all out for 3 laps then died, nick did 2 then i got him to stay down while i passed him and dropped in front, so he wouldnt lose position. After 3 flat out laps i was dead, and i pulled up expecting to be swamped by the bunch. bugger me, they were 50m away - i should have paid more attention behind us and i would have got 2nd instead of 4th. The bell went just then and nicked romped home to an easy win.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:22 pm

Never hurts too have a peak under the arm Scotto when going through the bends. Good effort none the less! :wink:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:41 pm

yeah great tactics scott, but we still got lucky that the bell rang when it did - i didn't have another lap in me.

After winning both that mystery lapper, and the poker race the other week, I'm off to the newsagent tomorrow to buy a lottery ticket :D :D :D
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:35 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Never hurts too have a peak under the arm Scotto when going through the bends. Good effort none the less! :wink:
yeah, its all a learning curve, a 42degree banked learning curve !

vander

Postby vander » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey guys, what races are on tonight? Worth coming to watch? Also what time does it usually go till?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:37 pm

vander wrote:Hey guys, what races are on tonight? Worth coming to watch?

The derny is getting a good run tonight with Keirans and miss and out point races where you travel around with the derny behind you and as you finish a lap last you drop back behind the derny until everyone is there and then you sprint for it. There is also a triathlon style race for the triathletes where they have to run around the velodrome (wearing iconic tri gear) a few times, put their cycling shoes on and then ride around a few time. Given that it's raining out, they should make them do a few laps outside just to get them wet and make them feel at home.

Should finish 9ish.

Worth coming to see and race in if you can. There's no novice racing next week for the last week of RAW.

LACC track season starts again on the 14th of October.

David

vander

Postby vander » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:36 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
vander wrote:Hey guys, what races are on tonight? Worth coming to watch?

The derny is getting a good run tonight with Keirans and miss and out point races where you travel around with the derny behind you and as you finish a lap last you drop back behind the derny until everyone is there and then you sprint for it. There is also a triathlon style race for the triathletes where they have to run around the velodrome (wearing iconic tri gear) a few times, put their cycling shoes on and then ride around a few time. Given that it's raining out, they should make them do a few laps outside just to get them wet and make them feel at home.

Should finish 9ish.

Worth coming to see and race in if you can. There's no novice racing next week for the last week of RAW.

LACC track season starts again on the 14th of October.

David
I wont get a racing licence till October anyway so I wont be able to race. So I am very keen for LACC track season. I have had a few training rides with LACC this week seems I have a lot of riding ahead of me to be good. I will try and make it tonight. I have soo much on but. Im guessing next week will be an amazing week?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:48 pm

I miss my days of track racing! :(

Bloody shame we don't have indoor track/tracks here in QLD.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:01 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I miss my days of track racing! :(

Bloody shame we don't have indoor track/tracks here in QLD.
Foo, you should have seen the keirens tonight! It's the pointy end of the season and they put the top 6 riders from each division into their own separate races. Every single race was tight with several having to go to the video tape to adjudicate. This was the third keiren night of the season so everyone knew what they were doing. I now know why the Japanese love this race so much.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:40 am

I never got to ride a keirin, they only started doing them after I stopped racing at the Aces level, here in Qld. :(

Did plenty of motor paced training at the Ipswich Velodrome, with my father riding my TS250 Suzuki with the exhaust extension, so we didn't breath
in the two stroke fumes. ::mrgreen:
Goal 6000km

scotto

Trying track riding

Postby scotto » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Good to meet Vander. You sure picked a good night to watch.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:36 pm

scotto wrote:Good to meet Vander. You sure picked a good night to watch.

Come play with us, Vander. Forever and ever and ever.

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:17 pm

vander

Postby vander » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:54 pm

BFV that photo is so creepy. Couldnt make it out tonight had to watch the swannies in the final (although they are sucking something severe). Hope you guys went well tonight any big wins?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:03 am

vander wrote:BFV that photo is so creepy. Couldnt make it out tonight had to watch the swannies in the final (although they are sucking something severe). Hope you guys went well tonight any big wins?
You're young, so I'll tell you that it's from The Shining. Go watch it.

As for tonight, Scotto didn't show up 'cause he had the flu. I had the flu and did show up, but couldn't put together more than 7 laps in any of the races. Nick made some good pulls, but wasn't in the running for anything overall and got swamped by the front runners. The presentations were great, however, and there was free beer and pizza. You got a much better show last week with the Kierens, tonight was all about the fun.

Got to meet Mike from Dulwich Hill (he's one of the mods here) which was nice.

You'd better get yourself out to Lidcombe Oval come the summer season and get yourself on the track.

David

vander

Postby vander » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:38 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote: You're young, so I'll tell you that it's from The Shining. Go watch it.

As for tonight, Scotto didn't show up 'cause he had the flu. I had the flu and did show up, but couldn't put together more than 7 laps in any of the races. Nick made some good pulls, but wasn't in the running for anything overall and got swamped by the front runners. The presentations were great, however, and there was free beer and pizza. You got a much better show last week with the Kierens, tonight was all about the fun.

Got to meet Mike from Dulwich Hill (he's one of the mods here) which was nice.

You'd better get yourself out to Lidcombe Oval come the summer season and get yourself on the track.

David
Thats bad luck for you and scotto. I will be at lidcombe for the first night of racing ready to go on whatever beginner track bike they can give me. I am so keen to race! Though with my training programs my legs have had nothing in them for the last week and a half so I wont be breaking any records.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:43 pm

David

Excellent job of avoiding the chilli hot dog (or whatever it was) at RAW presentations and nice repartee on your part! Very quick and funny.

From a member of the mortal enemy DHBC :)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Eleri wrote:David

Excellent job of avoiding the chilli hot dog (or whatever it was) at RAW presentations and nice repartee on your part! Very quick and funny.

From a member of the mortal enemy DHBC :)
Thanks! I'll have to get Crafty back next year somehow. I'm working on it.

I hope you red devils will be coming out to Lidcombe on Friday nights starting October 14. The more we can do to keep hipsters off of the street, the better.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:25 am

Well done David. And the hotdog skit was funny, but don't give up your daytime job.

I've posted your picture in my race thread
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

vander

Postby vander » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Hoping someone on here might know. I saw in LACCs newsletter they had a thing for trying track riding on tuesdays in summer. Anyone know what date this starts at? Or is it already going? Also anyone know how much it costs to get a rental bike at these sorts of things?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:45 pm

vander wrote:Hoping someone on here might know. I saw in LACCs newsletter they had a thing for trying track riding on tuesdays in summer. Anyone know what date this starts at? Or is it already going? Also anyone know how much it costs to get a rental bike at these sorts of things?
Yep training starts 11th October, which is the perfect time to try it out. I did my first track ride on a Tuesday training session in January and was racing that Friday night. I think the adult session starts ~7pm (check newsletter at the bottom), but get there a bit before it starts so you can get a bike and pedals set up etc.

Since you're LACC, go and see Stu Will or Ian (the really tall guy with the tools) on the night, tell 'em you're a friend of mine and you'll be in like Flynn. Be warned though that their goal is to get you hooked on track, which isn't hard.

I probably won't be there on the Tuesday, but I will be on the Friday night.

David

vander

Postby vander » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:21 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Yep training starts 11th October, which is the perfect time to try it out. I did my first track ride on a Tuesday training session in January and was racing that Friday night. I think the adult session starts ~7pm (check newsletter at the bottom), but get there a bit before it starts so you can get a bike and pedals set up etc.

Since you're LACC, go and see Stu Will or Ian (the really tall guy with the tools) on the night, tell 'em you're a friend of mine and you'll be in like Flynn. Be warned though that their goal is to get you hooked on track, which isn't hard.

I probably won't be there on the Tuesday, but I will be on the Friday night.

David
Considering I have spent the night watching the first day of the 2011 track world champs I really dont think they will have to try that hard at all. Got my first road race on Monday and will be racing on track in a few weeks. Not going to lie pretty excited for it all. Now if only I had money.