Entry to Gladesville bridge from the west side

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Entry to Gladesville bridge from the west side

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:15 am

I'm trying to describe to someone how to get onto the Gladesville bridge footpath, but my description is not understood. Can someone please write up a better description than mine following;
Take the footpath on the right hand side of bridge, ie the northern side. When you get to the Huntley Point end there will be a fence that turns you around. Now you have 2 options;
1. Cross the road at the end of the fence and ride along the dirt on the right hand side until it takes you within some armco, where you join a footpath that takes you all the way to the Hunter Hill overpass.
2. Go down the staircase that takes you under the road, turn left and keep left going onto the footpath that appears to your left, it will take you up a short steep hill, where you will join the same footpath that takes you to the Hunter Hill overpass.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=&q=gl ... 2&t=h&z=20
Thanks
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

duncanm

Re: Entry to Gladesville bridge from the west side

Postby duncanm » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm confused.

You've described *Exiting* the Gladesville bridge onto the Northern Burns-bay Rd exit.

Approaching from the West (Victoria Rd).

1/ Hop onto the left footpath at the lights before Riverside Girls, you'll see a concrete bus shelter (although I think they were pulling that out last week).
2/ duck down the path behind the bus shelter and under Burns Bay Rd.
3/ up the stairs, go between the wire fence and armco onto the slip lane
4/ ride down a slip till you see a wire fence opposite. Watch for cars
5/ cross onto the path on the other side, which will take you up to the bridge.

The tragic thing is, that whole Gladesville Bridge northern end is so f*cked up, I don't even know what the official route onto the bridge is!

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Bit of info here from BikeNorth, too. http://www.bikenorth.org.au/archives/ch ... 0703/5.php

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:20 pm

duncanm wrote:Bit of info here from BikeNorth, too. http://www.bikenorth.org.au/archives/ch ... 0703/5.php

:|

Does the RTA realise that drivers use this part of the exit to test their cars' special handling abilities around corners? From 70/80km to 30km/h?

:|
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Mike,

I had the joy of going that way recently and your difficulty in describing the path is because it is difficult to find the right path. What is not clear to me though is where is the person riding from and to in that the heading is "Entry to Gladesville bridge from the west side" but the path you describe sounds like they are riding from Drummoyne to Hunters Hill

I would describe the path from Drummoyne to Hunters Hill as follows
As you exit the Gladesville Bridge, the designated cycle route is via a 180° corner at the end of the bridge, down alongside the access loop (from Burns Bay Road at Hunters Hill to Victoria Road at Gladesville). You will drop below the road level where there are four stairs on your right. Go down the stairs and through the tunnel before descending a further two flights of stairs to Huntleys Point Road.

Ride north along Huntley's Point Road for about 100 metres where there is a path to the left. Take the path up the hill past the southern end of Keeyuga Road, keep to the left hand path which will take you onto the bridge over Tarkan Creek.
I wouldn't recommend anyone crossing the access loop from Burns Bay Road at Hunters Hill to Victoria Road at Gladesville because cars are travelling at least 70 kmh and IMO there is not enough visibility to cross the road safely, especially if they are not sure where they are going. When I am heading west though, that is precisely the route I take - do as I say, not as I do :oops:

As best I can tell, the "offical route" when travelling east along Victoria Road is as follows:
On Victoria Road heading east, join the footpath at Mortimer Lewis Drive. The path drops down away from Victoria Road and goes under Burns Bay Road, coming out at the northern end of Keeyuga Road. 50 metres up Keeyuga Road, cross the road where there is a path to the right. Follow the path to the T junction and turn left which will take you past the southern end of Keeyuga Road. The path stops at the bottom of the hill on Huntley's Point Road. Continue along the grass for 100 metres and turn right up the two flights of stairs, through the tunnel and up a further four stairs. Turn right up the hill where there is a 180° corner that will take you up and over the bridge

If we can make the directions clear, I will update the section in Bike Paths in Sydney. Thanks duncamm for the link to the bikenorth page which I will add now.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:49 pm

sorry Duncanm, by west, I meant coming from the north on the western side

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:48 am

It's not for everyone, and it depends on the time of day/week, but my preference when I lived in the inner west was to do Gladesville Bridge on the road.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:29 pm

mikesbytes wrote:sorry Duncanm, by west, I meant coming from the north on the western side
I'm still a little confused... but here goes.

If coming from the North (Burns Bay Rd).. don't use the western side. Approach using the Eastern Side of Tarban Ck Bridge (ie: the 'correct' left traffic side when approaching gladesville bridge), either on the road or adjacent shared path. Do that by crossing over Burns Bay Rd using the Ryde Rd/Church St overpass at Hunters Hill.

As you cross the overpass, you have two options:

1/ (off-road): cross overpass, turn right down Durham, follow path at end of straight bit (opposite scout hall) down across footpath on Tarban Ck bridge, then exit onto slipway between armco and wire chainlink fence. Continue as described above.
or
2/ (faster, for the brave-ish): cross overpass, but take the slip lane down onto Burns Bay Rd (go flat chat here. 60+ is easy) then across Tarban Ck bridge with the traffic and then pull left into the slip once over the bridge. Continue as described above.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:48 am

Thanks for the info guys, they understands the options

I haven't been on the new iron cove bridge, is it obvious how you get on it from the Drummone end?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:30 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I haven't been on the new iron cove bridge, is it obvious how you get on it from the Drummone end?
Yep easy as. Two options
  • cross Victoria Road at Park Avenue, ride straight up the new ramp.
  • follow Cary Street around and under Victoria Road, turn left onto the ramp up to the bridge.
The other advantage of the new bridge is that the shared path on the old bridge is quiet so no great dramas if you want to use that instead.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:57 pm

..... or if coming from the Gladesville bridge (down through Wrights Rd then Renwick St).. it's a pretty obvious continuation of the footpath on the old bridge.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Mon May 25, 2020 11:06 am

:idea: ..Always one for a challenge.......

Let's see how this goes with the Rotovelo......

I have previously crossed the Bridge,(2019) using the Bus lane travelling into the City from Huntleys Cove..... at 8am on a quiet Sunday morning 8)

I'd like to enjoy the view from the top of the bridge, rather than race the traffic down the other side :shock:

so, brains trust.......any pointers before I die attempting this at other times....LOL :mrgreen:

find_bruce wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:38 pm
Hi Mike,

I had the joy of going that way recently and your difficulty in describing the path is because it is difficult to find the right path. What is not clear to me though is where is the person riding from and to in that the heading is "Entry to Gladesville bridge from the west side" but the path you describe sounds like they are riding from Drummoyne to Hunters Hill

I would describe the path from Drummoyne to Hunters Hill as follows
As you exit the Gladesville Bridge, the designated cycle route is via a 180° corner at the end of the bridge, down alongside the access loop (from Burns Bay Road at Hunters Hill to Victoria Road at Gladesville). You will drop below the road level where there are four stairs on your right. Go down the stairs and through the tunnel before descending a further two flights of stairs to Huntleys Point Road.

Ride north along Huntley's Point Road for about 100 metres where there is a path to the left. Take the path up the hill past the southern end of Keeyuga Road, keep to the left hand path which will take you onto the bridge over Tarkan Creek.
I wouldn't recommend anyone crossing the access loop from Burns Bay Road at Hunters Hill to Victoria Road at Gladesville because cars are travelling at least 70 kmh and IMO there is not enough visibility to cross the road safely, especially if they are not sure where they are going. When I am heading west though, that is precisely the route I take - do as I say, not as I do :oops:

As best I can tell, the "offical route" when travelling east along Victoria Road is as follows:
On Victoria Road heading east, join the footpath at Mortimer Lewis Drive. The path drops down away from Victoria Road and goes under Burns Bay Road, coming out at the northern end of Keeyuga Road. 50 metres up Keeyuga Road, cross the road where there is a path to the right. Follow the path to the T junction and turn left which will take you past the southern end of Keeyuga Road. The path stops at the bottom of the hill on Huntley's Point Road. Continue along the grass for 100 metres and turn right up the two flights of stairs, through the tunnel and up a further four stairs. Turn right up the hill where there is a 180° corner that will take you up and over the bridge

If we can make the directions clear, I will update the section in Bike Paths in Sydney. Thanks duncamm for the link to the bikenorth page which I will add now.
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:06 am
so, brains trust.......any pointers before I die attempting this at other times....LOL :mrgreen:
Yea, don't!

Even 8am Sunday is a bit keen, although city-bound is better than west-bound.

I catch the bus to and from work from the stop near 7-11 and have seen many near misses - cars, trucks and buses flying up the bridge, combined with poor visibility (especially westbound) and riders chugging up at 10km is not a good mix. I'm comfortable doing it at 6am on weekends, but it boggles my mind that people would try it at peak-hour. The footpath is a pain in the arse but a safer option for everyone.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 27, 2020 1:58 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:06 am
:idea: ..Always one for a challenge.......

Let's see how this goes with the Rotovelo......

I have previously crossed the Bridge,(2019) using the Bus lane travelling into the City from Huntleys Cove..... at 8am on a quiet Sunday morning 8)

I'd like to enjoy the view from the top of the bridge, rather than race the traffic down the other side :shock:

Ironically one of the difficulties with covid is the lack of traffic - normally you can rely on traffic being dense enough in peak hour to crawl along at 20km/h.

Let me know when you are planning this so I can come along to point and laugh give moral support. One of the things I have always liked about riding with you, is that you are one of the few I can beat up a hill - not a chance on the way down though.

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Too bad, you all seem to have missed the chance to comment on the Bridge access problem. Just closed, but you can still see the comments on the interactive map. https://huntershill.mysocialpinpoint.com.au/bike-plan

If the velomobile is light enough, you could ride along Vic Road, over the flyover, and pull off just before the bridge proper starts, and lift machine over the armco barrier onto the path.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:42 pm

roberto73 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:05 pm

If the velomobile is light enough, you could ride along Vic Road, over the flyover, and pull off just before the bridge proper starts, and lift machine over the armco barrier onto the path.

33kg of velomobile plus the 8kg of "junk" (tools, water, spares, etc) ...

:idea: :idea: :idea: I reckon I could stop a motorist & get them to give me a hand to lift it over?? :wink:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:11 am

A gap in the armco and an angled kerb ramp would be useful.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:24 am

roberto73 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:11 am
Back in the days when I use to commute that way there was someone who was unbolting a section of the fence that makes peds/cyclists head for the underpass. Eventually the council/RTA/Somebody welded the nuts so it couldn't be unbolted

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:43 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:24 am
roberto73 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:11 am
Back in the days when I use to commute that way there was someone who was unbolting a section of the fence that makes peds/cyclists head for the underpass. Eventually the council/RTA/Somebody welded the nuts so it couldn't be unbolted
Have seen people passing bikes around the side of the fence, but the path down to the slip road is getting overgrown. Time for a working bee.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:02 pm

Had a look while driving past this morning. I see what you mean about getting around that fence by going over the Armco. Personally I couldn't be bothered, I'd go to the end of the fence and cross the road there