pin spanner question...

winona_rider

pin spanner question...

Postby winona_rider » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:03 pm

It seems i needthis tool to remove my current bottom bracket...
does anyone have any tips on how to remove it maybe without buying that tool, keeping in mind i don't need to keep the existing BB?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:16 pm

LBS would probably be willing to do the job for $5.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:17 pm

:(
i just wanna macguyver something dammit!

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:24 pm

How about $2? :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:26 pm

There are a variety of tools that will do the job ... provided it isn't in too tight which is a very distinct probability. Of course, they were all designed to do other jobs, but there are tools out there. You probably won't find them in Bunnies though.

Unless you want it done in a hurry (in which case the lbs is the best bet), haunt the second hand tools markets and I'm sure you'll find something sooner or later :D

If you want to make something, go into a model aeroplane shop and buy some spring steel. Modellers use it for undercarriages and it'll probably be the same stuff as Park Tools use to make theirs. Ordinary fencing wire won't do it if you need a lot of force. Just make sure you get exactly the right piece of wire (use the blind end of a drill bit to measure it) because it comes in a wide range of sizes and you won't get it right by guessing.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:26 pm

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:28 pm

So glad they picked him for SG-1 though, instead of Kurt Russell from the movie.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:30 pm

thanks richard
one more thing...on the crank side - to loosen i would be turning anti-clockwise right?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:34 pm

winona_rider wrote:thanks richard
one more thing...on the crank side - to loosen i would be turning anti-clockwise right?
Unless it's one of them weird dago bikes, you turn towards the front to do one thing and turn towards the back to do the other ... but I can never remember which is which (got Tuco's disease)

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:14 pm

you can try 2 lengths of wood (1cm square) in the shape of a V, drill a hole in the end of each and push a nail thru. I made one up out of an old spoke, not particularly robust but it did work.

dr.gonzo

Postby dr.gonzo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:47 pm

A cheap pair of circlip pliers will do the job

just make sure you get the squeezy out not squeezy in type (unless they have good reach).

I got some for $2.50 from a 2nd hand tool stand at a sunday market.

Before that i had tried the homemade type.. Not worth the hastle..
If only i could find a Miniature Mongolian Swamp Donkey!

09 Giant TCR Avanced
05 Giant CRX1 - With Carbon Goodies
oh & a sweet Dragster...

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:22 pm

I would go to the LBS. If you DIY it, you might damage the holes, and even the proper tool may not extract it.

My LBS would do these kind of jobs free ... and I always end up buying something from them, handlebar tape, or the like.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:54 pm

UPDATE!
OMGosh - i got it loose! i don't know how i did it - i suspect it was loose already - but it is free!

now i just have to get the other side off. i bought the specific tool for this job, but it seems to be about 1mm too big. it just won't fit.
i am crushed!
:(

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Bugger.

OK MacGyver, seeing as the BB's a binner....

You'll need a bigarse bolt, two nuts and some penetrene or similar. The bolt has to fit thru the spindle hole in the cup, the nuts have to be a tight fit inside the cup. Spin a nut on far enough so there is enough thread showing to get the second on once you've put the bolt through the hole from the inside. Sandwich the cup between the nuts and tighten down hard. Too see if it will work for you, try turning the bolt head clockwise.

I haven't done this myself, but I've seen it done. :roll: Good luck and don't forget the penetrene.
You could still try the LBS...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:20 am

The left side, the one with the lock ring, is supposed to be loose once the lockring is loosened, so that it can be adjusted.
The drive side cup is the fixed one & is left hand threaded, so will need to be turned CLOCKWISE to LOOSEN it.

The correct tool can be determined once both cranks are removed & the B/B axle taken out. Some of these cups have flats, some don't & have pin holes only.
Strip the rest of it & have a good look. If you don't have a tool that will do the job, then completely strip the rest of the frame & take it to the nearest LBS that has a halfway decent workshop.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:47 pm

Kid_Carbine wrote:The drive side cup is the fixed one & is left hand threaded, so will need to be turned CLOCKWISE to LOOSEN it.
:oops: Who's a silly boy, thinking of his Eyetie frame... :roll:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011