Stolen: '09 White ORBEA Dauphine - University of Queensland

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
terrybaskin

Stolen: '09 White ORBEA Dauphine - University of Queensland

Postby terrybaskin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi all,

My Orbea dauphine was stolen from a uni bike rack some time on the night of Thursday 11th August. I foolishly left it locked there overnight (first time I ever had) and when I returned on Friday it was gone.

Link to image: http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/dbimages ... normal.jpg

My bike has a few scratches on the cross bar of the frame. And the plastic casing on the top of the left gear shifter is broken off.

I'm hoping campus security may be able to help me out on Monday.

Big thanks to anyone that can help me out.

elantra

Re: Stolen: '09 White ORBEA Dauphine - University of Queensl

Postby elantra » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:38 am

That would be a big blow.
It would be hard to accept someone would do that.
I think there must be someone targeting UQ recently.
I was talking to someone else who had a nice Avanti Hybrid stolen in June, it was chained up to a bike rack at UQ and left overnight.
Good luck, hope you find it again, try secondhand stores in the outer suburbs, also Secondhand websites.
Steve

Queestce

Postby Queestce » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:16 pm

elantra wrote:That would be a big blow.
It would be hard to accept someone would do that.
I think there must be someone targeting UQ recently.
I was talking to someone else who had a nice Avanti Hybrid stolen in June, it was chained up to a bike rack at UQ and left overnight.
Good luck, hope you find it again, try secondhand stores in the outer suburbs, also Secondhand websites.
Steve
I heard a similar story too. Maybe we should go plant a Madeon 6 there unlocked, hide in the bushes, and see what slime crawls out of the woodwork :P

Sorry to hear about the bike though "Terrybaskin". It must have been bloody gut wrenching to get back there and find an empty spot where the Orbea was. I'll definitely keep both eyes open for it, probably unlikely it will turn up, but ya never know your luck in a big city! Was it insured at all, or is the loss a true kick in the bollocks?

Tk

terrybaskin

Postby terrybaskin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:28 pm

No not insured, so a genuine kick in the plumbs.

After talking to other people around uni, including the bike shop and campus security it sounds like bicycle theft at UQ is RAMPANT.

My friends and I have also discussed the possibility of setting up a "sting" on campus. It does seem to me more an organised crime, there can't be that many opportunists out there.

-----

On another note, I heard today that a guy who'd had his bike stolen from outside of the AIBN at UQ had it returned to him by the police. The police arrested some guy for stealing money out of parking meters and when they went to his house he had about 30 stolen bikes there. Does give me some hope.

TTF3

Postby TTF3 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:50 am

Any luck so far? A fren's bike got stolen not too long ago as well

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:22 pm

TB, I'm sorry to read about the theft of your bike. I know what it feels like to loose a new bike to an opportunist. I left my bike locked in my car for half an hour. The car was vandalised and the bike gone. I even saw the thieves van driving away and I couldn't get back to the car in time. I even photographed the van, and the cops didn't even want to look at the photos.
terrybaskin wrote: ... there can't be that many opportunists out there.
Sadly, there are, there are many with our police force's, don't want to know attitude. Most thefts are simple crimes of opportunity. We give the thieves the opportunity and they take it. Have you been to Rotorburn and looked at the section called stolen bikes?

Just an opportunity of several seconds is all a bike thief needs after reading Rotorburn. Even with expensive D locks a car jack can break one open in less than half a minute. Good security only protects our possessions from honest people it seems.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Horatio

Postby Horatio » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Ah, it's a pity I didn't find this thread earlier.

MY white Orbea Dauphine was also stolen from UQ on the 12th August 2011. Campus security first told me they would have cctv footage, but apparently their cameras were not working during the time it was stolen from INSIDE the bike room. Some very well organized criminals are at work at UQ.

terrybaskin

Postby terrybaskin » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Hey all,

GREAT NEWS. Just picked up my bike from Indooroopilly police station!

They've got quite a cache down there and they're trying to find the owners. If anyone else has recently had their bike taken from the UQ/St Lucia area you should definitely get in touch with the police.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:39 pm

terrybaskin wrote:Hey all,

They've got quite a cache down there and they're trying to find the owners. If anyone else has recently had their bike taken from the UQ/St Lucia area you should definitely get in touch with the police.

Congrats! Happy ending...now take very good care of it! (10 locks, remove wheels and seatpost when parking lol)
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Queestce

Postby Queestce » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:31 pm

terrybaskin wrote:Hey all,

Mate that is awesome! Good to hear. I assume they caught/charged the offenders??

kennethon

Postby kennethon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:40 pm

Dangerous place. I've got 2 friends who has lost their bikes in UQ. :twisted:

kennethon

Postby kennethon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Always leave your bikes locked in a place with heavy flow of human traffic!