Roe St Works for the Link Project

rolandp

Roe St Works for the Link Project

Postby rolandp » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:44 pm

From Perth City Link page:
Until Saturday, 10 September, EPRA is undertaking drainage work on Roe Street from Fitzgerald to Milligan streets. Visit the works update page for more information.

From Sunday, 11 September, traffic changes on Roe Street, between William Street and Barrack Street, will be in place to construct a section of relocated Roe Street shared cyclist and pedestrian path.

Relocating the path allows a temporary Fremantle Line to be built so the construction of the Fremantle Line tunnel can begin in early 2012.

The relocated section,60 metres west and 140 metres east of the Roe/William streets intersection, will be built on Roe Street, which will reduce westbound traffic to one lane (click on 'Completed Map' tab).

To minimise traffic impacts, the shared path construction will occur in two stages.

Stage One: 11 Sept to end-SeptA 140m section of Roe St, east of William Street, will reduce to one lane in each direction (click on 'Stage 1 Map' tab).

When completed, pedestrians and cyclists will be redirected to use the new section of path. The current shared path, inside the arm of the Horseshoe Bridge, will close.

Stage Two: early to mid-OctA 60m section of Roe St, west of William St, will reduce to one lane in each direction (click on 'Stage 2 Map' tab).

City of Perth is also seeking feedback on a master plan for Roe St. Design Principles for the Master Plan are:
Design principles
The draft master plan has been developed based on the following key design principles:
• improvement of pedestrian safety and amenity;
• the provision of new street furniture, lighting and street tree planting – consistent with city centre urban design treatments;
• the retention of kerbside services such as loading and taxi bays and parking;
• the provision of universal access, ensuring compliance with applicable standards to facilitate access by people with disabilities; and
• environmentally sensitive urban design.

Feedback by 30-Sep-2011.

jet-ski

Re: Roe St Works for the Link Project

Postby jet-ski » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:55 pm

I'm already riding on Roe St from Barrack St because of all the traffic signs etc which are cluttering the existing path. What is going to happen to the Perth Ent Centre footbridge?
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:27 am

jet-ski wrote:I'm already riding on Roe St from Barrack St because of all the traffic signs etc which are cluttering the existing path. What is going to happen to the Perth Ent Centre footbridge?
I imagine eventually gone with the sinking of the railway line rendering it obsolete.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:21 am

Yes sure it will be obsolete.... eventually, but in the meantime...... from those plans it looks like the temp freo line is going to be right where you currently enter the footbridge.... hence they will have to take it down at some stage. Will be crap if that happens as the only other ways over would be Barrack St or the Horseshoe....
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Good news - yes, they are closing 1 lane of Roe St to keep the PSP running past, &
Bad news - initially closed for the temporary relocation of the Freo line and then it won't be going back due to the new platform 9 (as discussed here.)

It does look like King and Queens St will be extended across the new open space to meet up with Roe St, i.e. no more easy thoroughfare as it is now. (Layout - 3.95MB pdf)

Also worth noting from the PCL FAQ page that Roland linked to -

Q5. Why didn’t you separate cyclists and pedestrians at the Roe-William streets intersection?
Answer: Once the new signalled crossing is installed and operating in early October, the Perth City Link Rail Alliance will monitor its use and develop the optimum pavement/street markings. The final design will be installed after the crossing’s first month of use. Feedback to railinfo@pclrail.com.au is welcome during this review.
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed May 15, 2013 9:07 pm

What a balls-up on the Roe St PSP this evening with the path closed between beyond the Horseshoe bridge and Beaufort St. Cyclists had nowhere to go and either had to ride into oncoming westbound traffic with cars exiting the train station carpark or mount the large kerb and median to join the eastbound peak hour traffic. The Traffic Mis-Management warden was coping a fair spray from disgruntled riders. Apparently a sign near William St stating to cross the road was missed by the 20+ cyclists I saw, including myself.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 16, 2013 11:07 am

I also went through there last night – massive disgrace! They should have taken the lane exiting the car park for peds/cycles instead of shunting them into oncoming traffic.

Karati

Postby Karati » Thu May 16, 2013 12:52 pm

I had a bark at the traffic controller also.

She said "There is a sign. Use the other side of the road" i.e cross lanes of traffic and a central reservation with no safety or crossing control. The sign simply said pedestrians and pointed towards the road. I took that as meaning through the cones placed up the road but obviously my mind reading isn't up to scratch.

The works further down near McIver station is a pain also but handled much much better and the traffic controllers were friendly and helpful with direction. Unlike the other troll...

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Thu May 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Not so bad this afternoon, path open but one lane closed in sections (with deep holes) and many yellow shirts waving their arms frantically at each other

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri May 17, 2013 3:43 pm

save yourself the aggravation and ride on Roe St.... also if you use the PSP as far as Claisebrook, I suggest you continue on Roe, go around the corner where it's 'stirling' st, turn right at Aberdeen, go thru a roundabout, and at the end turn right onto the PSP link there and then turn left.... avoids the mess they have made around McIver with their 'cyclist dismount' signs.

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:02 pm

Does anyone know how long the Roe Street path between Barrack and just past William Street will be closed/diverted. Travelling towards East Perth this morning around 10:00, I found it very dangerous just before William Street, they have a sign to use other path, but a truck was parked in the way so seeing oncoming traffic was pretty difficult. I think this area should be managed a bit better for cyclists!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:37 pm

From MainRoads:
PSP Roe Street
William Street to Beaufort Street
Wed 22 May to Wed 12 June

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks rolandp, should have checked their website

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:22 pm

And don't forget the Rail Outage in July, the Roe St PSP will be impacted.

Has anyone considered what happens when the Wellington St Bus Terminal is demolished in 2014 and expected to be completed in 2016? Get used to these outages, as potentially Roe St PSP or/and Wellington St 'shared-path' will be made into a temporary bus terminal, is my guess.