fuji touring / allegro tour in Melbourne

freq

fuji touring / allegro tour in Melbourne

Postby freq » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:24 am

Hi,

Anyone know where I can buy the Fuji touring in Melbourne? I've seen it on the Goldcross website but they don't seem to have much stock and not at my local store. Would prefer to avoid them if possible anyway.

I just wish I lived in Sydney so I could go here.

Any similar bike shops in Melbourne?

Any thoughts on the Allegro tour? They have it at my local bike shop for a very good price so is it even worth seeking out the Fuji?

Cheers!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:02 am

I can't help with Melbourne I'm afraid. There's a shop here in Adelaide with the Fuji, the Trek and the Mongoose in stock and it was interesting to look at them side by side. Have a hunt around and see if you find the Mongoose Randonneur - there are a number of happy owners on the forum and they've been buying them at good prices at the moment. The Trek520 is, of course, the pick of the bunch, but at something approaching twice the price, it'd flamin' want to be :D

Richard

freq

Postby freq » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:54 am

Yeah the trek is way out of my range. I do like the look of the mongoose - especially the dynamo hub, the only issue I would have would be the aluminium frame - how do you think it would stack up against the others? Also it's last years model and I don't think they're making it anymore, seems to have been replaced by the commuter range for '07. Thermos? :? Actually the Sabrosa Ocho seems quite a nice bike - has the Alfine internal hub gears.
If anyone has any idea which shops in Melbourne have either the Randonneur or the Picnic Bike I would be much obliged.

zapata

Postby zapata » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:40 pm

if your looking for a steel frame bike then surly have just lowered the price for the crosscheck by $250 down to $1500.
they also are now selling the long haul trucker as a complete bike for $1500.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:39 pm

Yes, but where can you buy them in Australia? Suryly has a distributor but my feedback is that they aren't good at communicating and availability is ... well ... not available. Have I heard wrong?

Richard
and yes, I do like the look of the Surly range and they have a good name in America

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:14 pm

Supposedly DirtWorks distributes and a lot of bike stores sell DirtWorks stuff...

They're (Surly) getting plenty of publicity in Australian Cyclist, you'd think you'd see them in shops more.

zapata

Postby zapata » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:54 pm

here's an email i got from dirtworks........

Thanks for your enquiry.

Unfortunately we have not sold any Surly Cross-Checks in South Australia in the last 5 months, so there are none available for test rides.

Bio-Mechanics Cycles & Repairs would be worth contacting about Surly, though. They are located at 3/249 Wright St, Adelaide 5000. Phone: 8410 9499.

Best regards,

Chuan Chew
Director, Sales
Dirt Works Australia
www.dirtworks.com.au
02 9679 8400

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:10 pm

Can't argue with that. When did you send the email? Surly is a brand that needs to be active in our market because it makes so much sense.

Richard

zapata

Postby zapata » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:48 pm

email is about 5 weeks old.

wongaga

Surly Bikes/Frames

Postby wongaga » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:27 pm

Abbotsford Cycles and St Kilda Cycles handle Surly and are both pretty good shops.

freq

Postby freq » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:59 pm

Abbotsford Cycles and St Kilda Cycles handle Surly and are both pretty good shops.
Thanks for that. I do like the long haul trucker and surly in general though I suspect I wouldn't be able to get on the 56cm bike and I kind of have my heart set on bigger wheels. Any idea when the complete bike is coming out? Is it worth putting up with the smaller wheels just for the privilege of riding a surly?

If anyone can find out where I can see any surly bike in person in Victoria they can have my hat!
Surly is a brand that needs to be active in our market because it makes so much sense.
And not just surly. I've been looking at a lot of websites and the bikes they sell in europe and north armerica are incredible.

europa

Postby europa » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:28 am

The Surly's can be built up and that's not a big job. It all depends on the shop of course, but when I was looking at getting my Europa 'modernised', the shop that quoted Campy gear would have built her up for nothing, his argument being that a happy customer was worth the 'small' amount of labour involved.

If you like a Surly frame, and can find a shop that will import one for you, you also have a shop that will build it up for you. You then have the HUGE advantage of being able to build the bike you NEED. It's a heady thing. The Surly frames have a good name and while the steel they use isn't the ultra best 'top of the heap' stuff, it is still good quality steel and the price is good.

It's one option and one worth investigating, even if all you take out of the experience is some added knowledge (this happened for me when I was looking at custom frames).

Richard

freq

Postby freq » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:30 am

Yeah, thanks that's a good thought. I can't believe I'm being talked into getting a Surly! Looks like this is an avenue I need to explore.