SRAM powerlink

thomas_cho

SRAM powerlink

Postby thomas_cho » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:11 am

Hi all,
Last night, I was working on a friend's bike, and tried to remove the SRAM 8 spd chain, but I just could not remove the powerlink. Even after lubricating it, cleaning it, and using a pair of needle nose pliers.

Is there a technique to getting the link off? Am I the only one that has problems taking the link off?

I ended up breaking the chain with my chain breaker.

rider06

Postby rider06 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:38 am

never had a problem disengaging a power link. i just create some slack in the chain, then use thumb and forefinger to slide each side of the powerlink in opposite directions and off she comes.
Rehab is for quitters!

singletracking

Postby singletracking » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:57 am

You've used one before?

(If not - You need to push the two sides together (squeeze the link) to release, slide the links and then open them)

Otherwise - perhaps someone used a 9 speed link on the 8 speed chain? That'd make life difficult! The link should say how many speed it was meant for.

If this advice is stuff you already know - it might be bent/ stuffed...?

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:51 pm

No the chain was a 8 spd SRAM chain, and I used the link that came with the chain.

And no I did not squeeze the sides together to unlock. Perhaps I should have read the instructions that came with the chain!

Thanks will give that a go.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:09 am

A bit of old spoke with a hook bent into each end helps greatly with removal and refitting the chain.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:53 pm

They still have a habit of jamming up if they haven't been opened up in awhile. I find I need to use a pair of multigrips and squeeze the link together from opposite corners (looking from above the chain) to get the thing to start opening up.