Magpie Season 2011 New South Wales

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Magpie Season 2011 New South Wales

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:44 pm

Saw a spikey helmeted cyclist on Mona Vale Rd emerging from Akukuna Bay this morning and from a distance wondering if it was like one of those cool motorcycle helmets with the mohawk until we were a bit closer. Obviously a wide berth given to cyclists so I couldn't check for stickers "Anti-Magpie Landing Device Activated"
Cycling is in my BNA

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:19 am

To the lovely couple on the corner of Yarrara Rd and Stevens St, Thornleigh,

congratulations on the birth of your fledglings this weekend!

I know you are experienced parents, so can I request that you please keep your exuberant swooping of cyclists to a gentle snap of the beak at a safe distance.

Yours sincerely,

commuting cyclist.

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:31 am

Cawdor Rd Camden, somewhere between the high school and Old Razorback Rd.
There's two of the little blighters!
The first only swooped once. Scared the living daylights out of!
The second one didn't startle me at all although he was a persistent little beastie. Followed me for about 200m! It was funny though, I could see his shadow on the road so I sat up a bit and every time he swooped down I ducked :)

Maybe that's why he followed me for so long - I annoyed him!
2010 BMC SLC01

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:16 pm

Seafoth near the shops off Sydney Road, damn magpie had a go at me and didnt give up, arent they meant to stop swooping once you leave their "zone" this one kept going me for awhile until, I clipped out and grabbed the biggest stick I could find, then it was on. I slowly walked away facing the bird with this huge stick on the main road. Got a few weird looks, and the bird kept flying from one to tree to the other.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:08 pm

Gidday Hannos and other fellow Camden area riders.

The Cawdor maggies are back, I see! I've had to deal with them in the past. Some tips that have worked:
1 Keep an eye out as you approach - they don't like it if they know you're watching them
2 Just ride along waving your arm in the air above your head (or get a stick and ride along holding that up above your head instead)
3 Put the hammer down if they approach - in past years, they've lost interest pretty quickly

These have worked for me. No warranties though - so let us know if you try this and they peck your finger off!

Marcus
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

kyap

Postby kyap » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Had the maggie on me FIRST TIME in my life and it gave me a BIG SHOCK!!

Happened at Wicks Rd as I was turning in from Coxs Rd to Epping rd bike way.
As it never happened to me before, I thought someone threw stones at me hitting my helmet. I looked back and saw this big maggie coming towards my face. Turn my head around and it came in between my shoulder and neck and trapped there for like split secs. The wings flapping at my ear....so I PANIC!!! I almost hit into a car. It bump into my helmet for 5 times + 1 time caught between my shoulder and neck.

Man....that was a terrible experience to me. It happened to me last Sunday after Bike North ride on the way home and till today I still have the phobia.

After some googling, apparently they like something that shines (I was on grey metallic helmet) compared to dull/ dark non shiny helmet or stuffs.

Will the EYE thingy work if sticks on the back of helmet? Im seriously thinking about that...

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Have you had your tetanus (insert vaccine for whatever magpie disease) shot?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

kyap

Postby kyap » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:22 pm

CommuRider wrote:Have you had your tetanus (insert vaccine for whatever magpie disease) shot?
Oh boy...are you serious? Is there such thing? I might go for the vaccine as preventive...scary maggie season... :( :(

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:24 pm

CommuRider wrote:Have you had your tetanus (insert vaccine for whatever magpie disease) shot?
Mad crow disease? :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Avian flu? They're birds after all.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Magpies are part of the crow family. ;)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:06 am

kyap wrote:Had the maggie on me FIRST TIME in my life and it gave me a BIG SHOCK!!

Happened at Wicks Rd as I was turning in from Coxs Rd to Epping rd bike way.
As it never happened to me before, I thought someone threw stones at me hitting my helmet. I looked back and saw this big maggie coming towards my face. Turn my head around and it came in between my shoulder and neck and trapped there for like split secs. The wings flapping at my ear....so I PANIC!!! I almost hit into a car. It bump into my helmet for 5 times + 1 time caught between my shoulder and neck.

Man....that was a terrible experience to me. It happened to me last Sunday after Bike North ride on the way home and till today I still have the phobia.

After some googling, apparently they like something that shines (I was on grey metallic helmet) compared to dull/ dark non shiny helmet or stuffs.

Will the EYE thingy work if sticks on the back of helmet? Im seriously thinking about that...
Are you sure you weren't on Ryrie St? The little bugger nipped me good this morning. I thought I had slipped through unnoticed, then I got a whack to the side of the head, below the helmet. He came in low from behind on the right and made full contact. Came in for a second swoop, but by then I was head down and aiming for a PB to the other end of the street!

As for Helmet colour. Plain White: got attacked, Carbon Fibre: got attacked. I have heard that if you just take your helmet off, they won't swoop. I am not willing to give that a go with this particular bird!

Update: Just got back from shower, and the Ryrie St bugger has drawn blood, with a small cut just below my ear. Bonus points!
Last edited by queequeg on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:45 am

I was listening to ABC702 Sydney this mornign and they had a guy on there talking about maggies.

Seems they are either bicycle haters, ped haters or postie haters - not usually a mixture.
He also said once a maggie attacks once, you'll be hit forever after as they are very intelligent and remember faces.
Looks like it doesn't really matter what colour helmet you wear.

Sorry, there's no podcast up yet.
2010 BMC SLC01

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:34 pm

duncanm wrote:To the lovely couple on the corner of Yarrara Rd and Stevens St, Thornleigh,
I know you are experienced parents, so can I request that you please keep your exuberant swooping of cyclists to a gentle snap of the beak at a safe distance.
After being hit in the helmet a couple of times (just like last year) I added 4 cable ties.
Did not get hit again but did not see the bird either so was not sure if it worked or not.
However yesterday I could see the shadow of the bird swooping but it kept 1-3m away and then flew off.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:52 pm

am50em wrote:
duncanm wrote:To the lovely couple on the corner of Yarrara Rd and Stevens St, Thornleigh,
After being hit in the helmet a couple of times (just like last year) I added 4 cable ties.
Did not get hit again but did not see the bird either so was not sure if it worked or not.
However yesterday I could see the shadow of the bird swooping but it kept 1-3m away and then flew off.
Cable ties do and dont work. I recommend using 4 ties. 2 on the outer edges of the helmet to stop the side attacks, and two on top, for the dive bombing.

Magpies arent that bad, its just by law they should wear bells, so we can atleast hear them coming. A good tip is to watch your shadow on the footpath. If your using clip ins; the last thing you want to be doing is looking up and turning around. So use your shadow.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

kyap

Postby kyap » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:29 pm

queequeg wrote:Are you sure you weren't on Ryrie St? The little bugger nipped me good this morning. I thought I had slipped through unnoticed, then I got a whack to the side of the head, below the helmet. He came in low from behind on the right and made full contact. Came in for a second swoop, but by then I was head down and aiming for a PB to the other end of the street!

As for Helmet colour. Plain White: got attacked, Carbon Fibre: got attacked. I have heard that if you just take your helmet off, they won't swoop. I am not willing to give that a go with this particular bird!

Update: Just got back from shower, and the Ryrie St bugger has drawn blood, with a small cut just below my ear. Bonus points!
Ah...sorry man. It was Ryrie St!!! Must have gave me a shock I cant remember the road. Well, Im still new in Sydney anyway... :)
OMGosh...blood?? Gee...now thats scary! That bird must be an aggresive one.

Guys...take note... RYRIE ST!!...watch out!!

rogan

Postby rogan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:06 pm

I've had no probs at Ryrie St - although I do try to hit that first block at speed as I come off Epping Rd (and don't ride it in the other direction).

Did a longish ride this morning through magpie territory (West Pennant Hills to Hawkesbury heights and Springwood, back down GWH, M4, M7 SUP).

Only two magpies, both within 15 km of home. The first was Windsor Rd heading north west at or before dawn, near, umm, not sure where. Annangrove Rd would be my best guess.

The other one was in the last few km, Gladstone Rd Castle Hill, downhill, just after I turned off Windsor Rd. Clearly a healthy specimen, I was doing 50 km/h at the time, and the bird was not deterred.

albe

Postby albe » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:19 am

one for the nsw central coasties ... there's a 'magpie map' on google being promoted in the local paper which has a few contributions on there

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msid= ... 692e&msa=0

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:00 pm

rogan wrote:I've had no probs at Ryrie St - although I do try to hit that first block at speed as I come off Epping Rd (and don't ride it in the other direction).

Did a longish ride this morning through magpie territory (West Pennant Hills to Hawkesbury heights and Springwood, back down GWH, M4, M7 SUP).

Only two magpies, both within 15 km of home. The first was Windsor Rd heading north west at or before dawn, near, umm, not sure where. Annangrove Rd would be my best guess.

The other one was in the last few km, Gladstone Rd Castle Hill, downhill, just after I turned off Windsor Rd. Clearly a healthy specimen, I was doing 50 km/h at the time, and the bird was not deterred.
I was riding in this morning with another guy. We got separated due to traffic (right turn off wicks rd). He went first and got nipped on the ear by the Ryrie St magpie, and I got through without even sighting the little bugger. He must have been busy resting after the first attack!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Lestep

Postby Lestep » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:24 am

I've been swooped twice in North St. Ives, Sydney - around Mudies Rd and Collins St. I keep changing my route but that's not working.

I'm a newbie rider and I'm petrified of them. Need hypnotherapy or something to keep me on the road!

htleung88

Postby htleung88 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:46 pm

There's a couple of particularly pesky magpies guarding Broadarrow Rd from Narwee Hotel to the lights at King Georges Rd at Beverly Hills, for anyone that rides around there. Not helped by the uphill ride on Broadarrow Rd, meaning that riding faster away is not an option.

Time to catch a train to miss that part I think - really detracts from enjoying the morning ride when it happens.

ab1981

Postby ab1981 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Just got smashed by a little bugger on Mulgoa Road, Penrith between Blaikie Road and the M4. Go your hardest next time! :lol:

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:29 pm

Got swooped in a half-hearted way at cnr Ross and Cobar Streets in Hurlstone Park the other morning. Waved my hand above my head then turned to watch the bird sitting on the wire. It seemed content to watch back while I rode away.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Update on the Ryrie St Magpie at North Ryde.

After drawing blood, and having another go at me in the eye, I have beeb trying to detour around him. What I found is this:

1) He also attacks cyclists going via Farrington Parade. Got swooped at cnr of Farrington Pde and Truscott street on two separate days.
2) Trying to use Wicks Rd doesn't help either. I got swooped on Sunday morning, heading up Wicks Rd from Epping Rd to Coxs Rd.

So, it looks like this Magpie has a pretty wide open area of operation, unless there is more than one of the buggers.

Thus far, the only magpie free detour I have found is:

Inbound - Coxs Rd, left into Blamey St (3rd turn after the normal Ryrie St route), right into Chauvel St, right into Cutler Pde, left into Tobruk St, right into Edmonson St, lef tinto Blenheim Rd, left onto Pittwater Rd and back onto the Epping Rd SUP.
Outbound, just reverse the route.

I think this must be just outside the magpie recon area, so at least for the next few weeks I am using this. A few swoops I can handle, but this one seems to be pretty agressive. It goes for the ears/face below the helmet.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Ouch. I've been completely avoiding Ryrie Rd both ways since my minor run-in this year.

Eastbound I continue on Coxs Rd, left onto Cressy at the roundabout and to the end to Pittwater Rd for a downhill run up to get back to Epping Rd.
Westbound I go from the cycleway, left onto Pittwater, right at Magdala Rd roundabout, left to Cressy and right to Coxs.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS