Which Mountain bike?

Sportsstars1

Which Mountain bike?

Postby Sportsstars1 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:54 am

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a mountain bike for recreational purposes. Will mostly be used for riding on beach trails in St kilda etc and will be used at least 3 times a week.

I cant decide between the following:

Giant Boulder around $395
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bi ... 169/22612/

Giant Upland SE around $349
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bi ... 169/22428/

Haro V1 $300 - was $449 not sure if better than the Giant Boulder?
http://www.bikes.com.au/html/s02_articl ... rt_id=1249

There's heaps of bikes on here http://www.bikes.com.au under Mountain Bikes but I dont get all the specifications etc so for those that are more expert than myself I'd really appreciate your advise

Thanks!

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:14 am

I'd buy the Boulder.

RRP $449 doesn't mean worth $449. The Boulder has a better suspension fork & some better components.

Upland SE I think is more of a bike path bike, wouldn't pick it for off road. Worth noting is that you can adjust the suspension on the boulder, but not on the Upland. For $50 more have the Boulder.

Sportsstars1

Postby Sportsstars1 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:38 am

Thanks, what do you think of the specs on the Haro compared to the boulder?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:19 am

"The Boulder has a better suspension fork & some better components"

I meant that compared to the Haro. Also looks like the Haro only has a 7 speed rear cartridge. Not quite as good deraileurs and shifters. Pretty much the same brakes.

Only thing you might prefer is the wider tyres if you're riding in sand, but they're not much wider, and you can go buy fat tyres if you decide you need them.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:06 pm

At risk of sounding horribly biased, I'd go for the Boulder, it seems to be better equipped than the others. Giant will usually fit better components for the money. (economies of scale and such)

Having said that, go out and hang one off your bum for a quick carpark run, if it doesn't feel "right", look at something else, a bike somewhere will call out to you, then it's all over bar the paying :D

OyabunG

Postby OyabunG » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:15 pm

For best bang for your buck go the Boulder.

I also agree with Mulger, all the specs on the world can be on a certain bike, but until you have had a ride around you will never know.

Spec wise Boulder is better. :)

pospete

Postby pospete » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:36 am

I'm a bit late now but if it's of interest here's my baby. I don't have residency yet so not working as such due to visa restrictions. I wanted a reasonable mountain bike, so bought one one Ebay, from a shop here in Melbourne. The shop price was $650, and i got it for $425. It has triple wall rims, discs and shocks and is 24 speed. biuld quality is excellent and it is very good to ride. The shop has a website too. its by Atomik Motorsports, and the bike is an Atomik Peak. It's primarily a downhill hardtail. They do several other full suspension bikes too, and road bikes. All the bikes on Ebay get bids, and I think it's due to the fact the bikes are very good.
I did want a GT like my old Zaskar, but just could'nt raise the cash for one.

bigkev

Postby bigkev » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:23 am

i have a boulder and i travel about 200km per week there great and reliable i am not a light weight either at 120kg and no problems after 3 years so i would say boulder thats my 2 cents.