Quick CC question

G-Ride

Quick CC question

Postby G-Ride » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:10 pm

hi all

With the competitivecyclist.com fit calc here's the definition of Saddle-Handlebar distance.

"Saddle-Handlebar
This measurement ties together your choice of stem length with your saddle setback. It is measured from the nose of the saddle to the near edge of your handlebar. Keeping within this range will assure that you don't accidentally push the weight balance of your bike either too far forward or backward."

What is considered the near edge? Corner of the top bar?

In the mean time if anyone has a fit starting point for a Spec. Roubaix/Sectuer frame or anything they have learn feel free to add.

Cheers
G

toofat

Re: Quick CC question

Postby toofat » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:54 pm

My interpretation, put a tape measure alongside the stem untill it touches the inside of the handle bar then extent the tape until it touches the saddle nose, take reading

number21

Postby number21 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:10 pm

I was recently told by my LBS mechanic that as a rule of thumb you shouldn't be able to see the front hub. If its in view in front of your handlebars you need a longer stem. (He wasn't trying to sell me a longer one in case your wondering!)

Fore and aft movement of the saddle from centre is more based around personal preference.

Don't know if this is universally excepted though.

G-Ride

Postby G-Ride » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:26 pm

toofat wrote:My interpretation, put a tape measure alongside the stem untill it touches the inside of the handle bar then extent the tape until it touches the saddle nose, take reading

That was my thought but doing that I'm not even close - way to short and adjustment would never be enough. I I take the measurement to the inside corner of the bar ie on the diagonal as your arms would be it starts to become achievable. All other measurements are on par with my results.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Nose of saddle to center of bar (otherwise bar diameter would come into it) measure at clamp slot on stem.

G-Ride

Postby G-Ride » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Although seeing as this measurement is about balance and weight distribution, if the predominant riding position is on the hoods a better target is a hood to seat nose distance? Or even midway between bar and hoods as a compromise?

Appreciating everyone's input.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:02 pm

What ever happened to putting your elbow against the nose of the saddle and seeing if you can touch the bars with your finger tips? Tradition dies hard.

I think it's more about if you like riding on the rivet or sitting back mostly.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.