Training for the Track

ben_is_fixed

Training for the Track

Postby ben_is_fixed » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:54 am

Hey Fellas

Im looking for some training methods that will benefit my track cycling. The only actuall track time I will have is race night, so im looking for things I can do during the week that will boost my fitness and get me to a level where i can be competitive.

Am I better off going for a smash fest in the big ring OR spinning a low gear for a few hours? OR both? Will I benefit from a few hours on the rollers? Or is road time more beneficial?

Ive set aside an hour in the morning before work 3 times a week(i know its not much, but a start) How can i best use this time?

Lots of questions :D Would love to hear from those currently racing as well as vetrans with any ol' skool techniques 8)

Cheers!

foo on patrol

Re: Training for the Track

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:22 am

What level of fitness are you at and what sort of rider are you, as in sprinter,endurance or a stayer? :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ben_is_fixed

Postby ben_is_fixed » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:11 am

foo on patrol wrote:What level of fitness are you at and what sort of rider are you, as in sprinter,endurance or a stayer? :)
How do I measure fitness? I've been riding for a couple of years now so i'd like to think im somewhat fit. Sprinting suits me best :)

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:20 am

Road time is beneficial, if you can get enough of it. 1hr 3 times a week is fine.

I would say, try spending time in say a 53/16 gear on flats. That is about a 90gear inch size which is about where most outdoor racing is done, give or take a few.

Try some standing starts too, and sprinting every now and again, standing and seated. When sprinting though try doing it and keeping the bike upright, having all the power develop in the legs. Sprinting with the bike waving all over the place, as commonly seen in road racing finishes, can be downright dangerous on the track.

Learning much more is better done on the track in either racing or training. I'm only 1 year into racing, having started last year and I'm waaaaay down the bottom of the learning curve on tactics.

toppity

Postby toppity » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:04 am

Go racing, talk to those who you race with and see what they do, try and find a training group/coach (you don't have to actually train with them if you can't). Blokes like me can't help, but blokes like Foo and Brentano should be able to give some good guidance.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:04 am

more track time.
where are you.
in sydney, dunc gray is open monday and wednesday from 6-9ish for training. lidcombe starts up soon tuesday nights and theres more probably at dulwich hill.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:47 pm

ben_is_fixed wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:What level of fitness are you at and what sort of rider are you, as in sprinter,endurance or a stayer? :)
How do I measure fitness? I've been riding for a couple of years now so i'd like to think im somewhat fit. Sprinting suits me best :)
Given that you say you have been doing it for a couple of years, then if you have been riding/training every day or at least 5 out of 7 you should have some basic level of fitness. :wink:

I would aim to do around 40ks of a morning, dividing it up to easy (25-30klmh) with some slow jumps to a sprint and once you have reached max speed back it off. Allow yourself 5 of these each morning. Do the easy ride 3 times a week. The other 2 days make it harder. Do the sprints as usual but ride at a faster pace 30-35klmh and attack the hills, if there are any and keep it going for say 50mtrs over the top. (don't start at the bottom, about 2/3rds up)

The afternoons you would be doing the same, I would try and do some motor paced work if you can.

You can practice standing starts quite easily anywhere on your track bike, just pick a flat bit of road of about 200mtrs and either use your elbows to lean up against the car or have someone hold you. I would be doing these 3 times a week and at least half a dozen a session on your racing gear.

Do longer rides of a weekend, 80-100ks until you think you are getting fitter, then increase. You don't need to do these at a great pace, just get yourself used to doing more Ks. :)

The best type of training is ...racing because you cannot replicate all of the variables in training, try as you might. :wink:

Without knowing you and what sort of ability you have, this is just a general line of help to get you going a little bit more. If you feel flat then don't push yourself, just roll along and stop when you have had enough. You can get a general feel for how your body is feeling and just drop back the intensity a bit.

If you're riding handicap races at the meets, then hammer yourself in them and ride the scratch races with a bit of slyness. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ben_is_fixed

Postby ben_is_fixed » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:32 pm

This is all great stuff guys, :D I understand that more time on the track is the best way to improve fitness & tactics. But having a training plan for the rest of the week is going to help me a lot. Thanks!