Recommended Reading (Touring Preperation)

rifraf

Recommended Reading (Touring Preperation)

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:21 am

Hi everyone,
just wanted suggestions for recommended reading for Australian cycle touring.
I've got so far "Cycling Outback Australia" which is a guide for a Cairns - Darwin - Perth route written by
Craig Bagnall and Nikki Brown.
I'm about to click the buy now on "Cycling Australia" Lonely Planet.
I'll probably get the "Australia" Lonely Planet as well.
Anything else strongly recommended or books to steer clear off?
I see theres a copy of "Cycling Australia" by Ian Duckworth on Ebay.
Anyone got a viewpoint on it?
I'd like to do a little research before stepping out "too far"
Pretty much just want books/magazines in this thread as I plan
to go through all the links mentioned in prior threads eg. Crazy Guy On A Bike & Andrews Aushiker
in a seperate thread.
Thanks in advance.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Re: Recommended Reading (Touring Preperation)

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:45 am

rifraf wrote:Hi everyone,
I've got so far "Cycling Outback Australia" which is a guide for a Cairns - Darwin - Perth route written by
No suggestions but interested in your thoughts on this book as long-term considering a Perth - Darwin ride and debating with myself as to go via the interior or the more coastal route.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Aushiker wrote:
No suggestions but interested in your thoughts on this book as long-term considering a Perth - Darwin ride and debating with myself as to go via the interior or the more coastal route.

Andrew
Hi Andrew
For someone like myself who has little long tour experience in Aus it appears very comprehensive indeed.
I think even a seasoned cycle tourist like yourself would find it interesting and informative.
Its particularly good for the new arrival to Aus (or not quite here yet) as like the Lonely Planet guides it
tries to list all the dangers etc many Aussies wouldnt blink at.
Its a little eco friendly which bias I found initially annoying but that was because I'm not used to books
giving green suggestions. But all good as I lean green anyway (in action - not politics)
Broken down into sections it give a breakdown of everything I could think of and more from accommodation to places of
interest to water holes and rest areas.
I picked up my copy for $10 off fleabay.
Bottom line - I think you'd find it a worthwhile book to buy and read and if you decided it wasnt for you
then it would make a great gift.
I'm glad I bought it or it would have gone straight back on fleabay.
Coupled with what I read here and on blogs like CGOAB, your own Aushiker tours like Munda Bindi etc. its whats
piqued my dormant interest in the outdoors in general and cycling specifically.
Thus I'm in the process of refurbishing my Moulton APB to "tour ready" status and acquiring all the gear necessary
to get a look at the great country around me - hence my posts questioning things like cookers, stands, panniers, wet weather gear, tents etc.
My gear wish list is coming together coupled with what I already had I'll not be too far from my first extended trip which is likely to be
Canberra and maybe if I'm feeling particularly brave, through on to Melbourne.
Quite frankly its costing a fortune so being the tight ass I am I'm make sure I follow through.
Thank my lucky stars for wiggle, evans, starbike etc.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:50 am

Hi

You might want to check out Book Depository as their prices are often very good. They also offer free postage to Australia.

Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:51 am

Hi Rif I know this isn't reading material but a great source of info and tips I have found on my travels over the years has been the grey head nomads while they tour stopping yakking to me. I have always found that the caravan folks in many cases pull up and what to have a gas bag and in return not only do most of them welcome you into there van for a cuppa/bite to eat but you get good information on conditions and little tit bits of local knowledge and in most cases very up to date info.

Ricky

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:46 am

I'm about to click the buy now on "Cycling Australia" Lonely Planet.
I'll probably get the "Australia" Lonely Planet as well.
Anything else strongly recommended or books to steer clear off?
I see theres a copy of "Cycling Australia" by Ian Duckworth on Ebay.
Anyone got a viewpoint on it?
I'd like to do a little research before stepping out "too far"
Pretty much just want books/magazines in this thread as I plan
to go through all the links mentioned in prior threads eg. Crazy Guy On A Bike & Andrews Aushiker
in a seperate thread.
Thanks in advance.
Check out this article for a list of Oz hardcopy titles...and if you discover new ones, submit them to Sidney for listing
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... =6668&v=87

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:55 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

You might want to check out Book Depository as their prices are often very good. They also offer free postage to Australia.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew - excellent! :!: :D
Last edited by rifraf on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:59 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Hi Rif I know this isn't reading material but a great source of info and tips I have found on my travels over the years has been the grey head nomads while they tour stopping yakking to me. I have always found that the caravan folks in many cases pull up and what to have a gas bag and in return not only do most of them welcome you into there van for a cuppa/bite to eat but you get good information on conditions and little tit bits of local knowledge and in most cases very up to date info.

Ricky
Hi Ricky,
great tip which I've taken a step further and found a book:
"The Grey Nomads Guide Book" Cindy and Jeremy Gough
which has plenty of tips suitable for both Nomads and Cyclists and at my local library.
Thanks for the "out of the box" thinking :idea: :)

Library system
919.4 GOU
Last edited by rifraf on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:01 am

Vintagetourer wrote:[
Check out this article for a list of Oz hardcopy titles...and if you discover new ones, submit them to Sidney for listing
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... =6668&v=87[/quote]
Hiya Vintagetourer - some great titles there.
Thank you!! :)

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:25 am

rifraf wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Hi Rif I know this isn't reading material but a great source of info and tips I have found on my travels over the years has been the grey head nomads while they tour stopping yakking to me. I have always found that the caravan folks in many cases pull up and want to have a gas bag and in return not only do most of them welcome you into there van for a cuppa/bite to eat but you get good information on conditions and little tit bits of local knowledge and in most cases very up to date info.

Ricky
Hi Ricky,
great tip which I've taken a step further and found a book:
which has plenty of tips suitable for both Nomads and Cyclists and at my local library.
Well done Rif next week I'm going to my local library to see if I can get the same book or order it in because it would be a great read so thanks for sourcing that and doing the leg work. Good topic you started and I have been reading the info folks have offered up here to add to my own knowledge base. I know this is a little off topic but when ever I stay at camping sites or caravan parks when touring when using the camp kitchens etc you can gain a great deal of simple meals that are tasty and very light weight by watching what others prepare. While at the same time again gain some knowledge from others as touring on bikes you become a magnet for the folks who just want to talk and share there story. Listening to there stories you can pick up on many of the tips without even asking it's just presented in the general conversation. Campers/Hikers and touring bicycle folks in my case you don't get to see that often to hear or share tips etc because you just too isolated but when you hit the bigger tourist parks this will come to life and the grey nomads is a great example of my learning.

Ricky

Cheers mate

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:00 pm

rifraf wrote:great tip which I've taken a step further and found a book:
Thanks for the heads-up. My local library has a copy so will have to drop in and borrow it.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Another one you guys might want to check out from your library is:
Camping in Australia
By Cathy Savage and Craig Lewis.

I'm currently looking at the second edition though I've yet to see if its the latest.
Its a big book seemingly dedicated to Australia wide low cost camping.

The spiel:
"Over 2300 campsites, Free and low-cost camping, Maps of every camping region"
"Australias most comprehensive camping directory for families, bushwalkers and travelers."
"Over 2300 campsites with facilities and directions,
54 region maps locating campsites,
31 featured national parks,
Australia-wide road atlas,
Complete index"

In the library catalogue system (dewey?) it under 919.406SAV.
I'm going to assume its the same system Aus. wide?

rama

Postby rama » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:33 am

Cycling Australia by Lonely Planet is useless. Describes some routes near major urban centres, so I guess it is aimed at weekend warriors. And contains no routes for the area of the country you have in mind.
Better spend some time on blogs of other tourers, they contain more practical info.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:31 am

Andrew Bains' book "Headwinds" is a very humorous read about two newbies setting off to tour around Australia.... the wrong way!

Kate Leeming did a lot of remote touring in her book "Out There and Back"

For a web-guide to touring remote areas of Australia have a look at Bicycle Fish
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:00 am

Rama LP's CA is not quite useless. It was helpful doing the east coast ride which is hardly for weekend warriors. I have the first edition which is becoming a little outdated. Google maps/CGOAB are now my "go to" sources of most touring info. I may still use it for a Tassie circuit but you are correct in that there are quite a few 3-5 day rides. (The orientation of north on many pages bugged me.) I suppose its intended market was for those who wanted a taste of the country near accessible transport. My beef with it is that there about 100 or so introductory pages covering touring basics and Aussie info that would have been better served with more in depth tours. Possibly the inclusion of a Perth Melb or Sydney route too which is becoming more popular.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:43 am

Uncle Just wrote:Rama LP's CA is not quite useless.
Quite right - the Melbourne to Gold Coast route is reasonable well documented, as is the Tassie circuit, although if you intending to do the Giro you will be better served for information here and here. Otherwise I agree that there is not much of value to the long-distance tourist.

LP Cycling NZ is similar - it describes shortish routes which could be strung together for a tour but the organisation of the book makes it difficult, and the maps are so pale that the route is hard to discern. Get Pedallers' Paradise instead. Oh - but you probably don't need it do you Rifraf?

It seems LP has little real interest in cycle tourists, and probably a shortage of writers, so perhaps if you have journalistic leanings it could present an opportunity...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:34 am

I know the authors of the first Lonely Planet Cycle Australia book personally, and they are very experienced cycle tourists. However I don't believe their brief ever was to prepare a guidebook for the one classic "around oz" route; but rather to give a collection of 'showcase' tours that cyclists could pick and choose from. Lonely Planet's own description says as much.
Cycling Australia guide The coasts of the wide brown land are perfect for cycle touring, and we've chosen the best rides for every interest and ability level. It's a continent's worth of great cycling experiences – from the wildernesses and superb coastal scenery of Tasmania, to the historic sites and gourmet highlights of Victoria, and World Heritage rainforests in Queensland.

The average travelling cyclist won't get much joy out of cycling the Hay Plains after all :wink:

Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:06 pm

I borrowed the Lonely Planet Cycling Australia and for me there was some local rides to start me off and test my gear and
ability to use it.
I've just clicked the buy now on a copy from Ebay.
They are $16.99 plus $7.95 for P&P
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120723284088 ... 1438.l2649
There may be cheaper buys out there but I thought this one was ok and I got speedy responses from the seller
when I asked some questions

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:52 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
now you've bought the book, how bout a small review and a "few" of your thoughts on its minus and plus points.
As someone whose done gear testing I'm pretty sure you could offer us a very brief synopsis on the subject matter
and if you thought it was worthy of "Recommended Reading".
Only if you have time of course as I'm sure you must be busy juggling home and work and cycling as it is. :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:13 am

rifraf wrote:now you've bought the book, how bout a small review and a "few" of your thoughts on its minus and plus points.
As someone whose done gear testing I'm pretty sure you could offer us a very brief synopsis on the subject matter
and if you thought it was worthy of "Recommended Reading".
Only if you have time of course as I'm sure you must be busy juggling home and work and cycling as it is. :)

Still reading it, but will put something together on it when I have finished. It looks pretty helpful, particulary in terms of water sources and if one was planning distances the camping information is handy to. My only concern is it is based on a 1999 road trip, but it seems to fit with other information I have. Probably the best book resource I have come across so and I have seen a few thanks to the library system.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:47 am

Hi

I have written a brief review on Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage’s title, Camping Guide to the Northern Territory 3rd edition published in 2010 by Boiling Billy Publications. Have to say that overall I didn't find it useful from my perspective as a touring cyclist but would consider it if I was car camping. I have seen some of the other camping guides around the place and would put them in the same category. Pretty useless unless you are into car based camping locations.

I have pretty much given up on NT camping guides but do have a couple of WA one's that I am looking at the moment, but in all honesty I keep going back to Jan Holland's guides. Simple black and white publication but a pretty detailed handy resource which caters for motorised and non-motorised campers.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Andrew
Hi Andrew
I remembered your suggestion to give these guys a go.
I've just ordered a couple of photography books:
Bryan Petersons "Understanding Exposure" and John Batdorffs "Nikon D7000: From Snapshots to Great Shots"
Nothing to do with touring but as a general source of books I'll be able to offer the thread my experience
on the quality of service and speed of delivery once they arrive.
Fingers crossed it'll be a positive review.
Cheers
Aidan :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:25 am

rifraf wrote:

Andrew
Hi Andrew
I remembered your suggestion to give these guys a go.
I've just ordered a couple of photography books:
Bryan Petersons "Understanding Exposure" and John Batdorffs "Nikon D7000: From Snapshots to Great Shots"
Nothing to do with touring but as a general source of books I'll be able to offer the thread my experience
on the quality of service and speed of delivery once they arrive.
Fingers crossed it'll be a positive review.
Cheers
Aidan :)
Enjoy the reading. I now use http://booko.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is a search engine for books and CDs. Finds the best price delivered.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Enjoy the reading. I now use http://booko.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is a search engine for books and CDs. Finds the best price delivered.

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Hey great resource.
You had me worried there for a minute thinking there might be better prices for my two books.
However booko confirms that for the two I just ordered, Bookdepository was the best place to order from (total price-wise).
Thanks for sharing :)
Cheers
Aidan

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Cycle touring around Australia? Try reading With Bags and Swags" by Wendy Suart.

:lol:
Mandatory helmet law?