Open triathlon training blog

leighthebee

Re: Open triathlon training blog

Postby leighthebee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Starting to knuckle down my training for Noosa this year. Need to get serious about learning to run. Can swim, ride a little, can't run. Need to reverse the order. :mrgreen:

Will run a few k's tonight to put some more on the legs.

Sed. Have you registered for the Byron swim yet. I beleive they aren't doing them on the day this year?

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:28 pm

Can't attend Byron Bay swim this year, we have a friend's birthday party here in Brisbane that day. Probably best, as my swim training has been a little lax. Do you know of any other ocean swims around the way?

Leigh, I am also slowly getting back into gear for Noosa... Have you done it before, or is this your first time?

In the last two to three weeks I have been averaging two runs per week, about five or six km per run, averaging around or slightly less than 5min per km.
Swimming once or twice per week, either 1km or 1.5km, averaging about 2min10sec per 100m (plod plod plod -- can't seem to increase my speed without sending my HR through the roof, which is ok for short distances, but I end up getting puffed and settling back to my usual pace)
Cycle is the missing link in the training regime. Poor organisation and time pressure has meant this has only been happening once per week, 30 to 40km, approx 27kph avg. Rain rain go away, and I will get out tomorrow.

Got some new gear in the mail -- fluoro yellow bar tape (haha), as well as road shoes (have been using MTB shoes so far), new cycle shorts and a tri race belt.
New tar seal in front of my wheel

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Fri May 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Heading overseas this weekend for some relaxing time away from work, back in a month... Got the running shoes in my pack, as well as the swim gear, but the bike isn't so easy to pack. Back in a month. Good luck in cairns bpm.

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Tue May 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks Sedition - enjoy your holiday.

All is in readiness for me - I have hit the "two-weeks-to-go" and I am exhausted and catching a cold - everyone tells me that its a sign of a perfect preparation.

I'll post up a race report when I recover.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:26 am

Back from overseas, now getting ready to move house. Training has suffered, only one swim and a couple of jogs while I was away. Stanley Park in Vancouver and the Vancouver swimming pool, both excellent venues. :) how was the race, bpm?

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:20 pm

Welcome back Sedition

Race was outstanding - the report is here (about 3/4 of the way down the page):

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24093&start=1400

What's your next event?

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:16 pm

I guess posting here make it official: I'm now training for the Gatorade Triathlon series in Melbourne.

I know its only a sprint distance, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?

Ran 3.4km today, at 5.4m/k, first time i've actually enjoyed a run. Hopefully its a sign of good things to come?

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm still here, but have been offline a bit more than usual... Training has been sporadic last couple of months.

Back in (semi) training for OD Noosa at end of October.

Riding 40km twice per week, and ramping up the running to get back to my previous 10 + 5km per week. Swimming has really fallen away due to time pressure (somebody once told me, "don't say, 'I don't have time', when you actually mean, 'that's not a priority'" -- this person obviously doesn't have kids!), but have been going about once a week.

Recent training times:
55min for 10km run
1 hours 25min for 40km bike
37min for 1.5km swim.

Predicted full distance time: 2 hours 57min.

That's 10min slower than my actual race time last year, and 15min slower than my ideal race time.

But I still have 7 weeks to get there, and there is definitely room for improvement! :)

Any other triathletes out there still?

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Howdy all, I was just after some advice, tips on triathlons but I guess some background would be useful

I started running earlier this year to lose weight and get fit, well I have lost 23kg so far and I have the exercise bug. My knees dont cope with running every day so I have thrown swimming & cycling into the mix.

The question I have, is my current regime sufficient for a sprint triathlon, or even olympic distance?

Mon-Wed-Fri I run anywhere from 11km to 13km. My average pace is around the 6 min per km but I do live in a hilly area
Tue & Thur I swim 2km (40 laps of a 50m pool) in about 50min
Weekend I go for a ride, anywhere from 45km to 75km, depending on available time. I do the 45km around 2hrs, again I have hills out my way and on the flat I can maintain a mid 30kph pace.

I have been looking at the gatorade series and the xoseries thinking I could do that. I have a felt f75 road bike and I dont intend on using tribars, I am not competing to win anything other than the stisfaction of finishing and not being last (a bit like my fun runs)

anyway, any advice from someone who has done some tirathlons would be great

cheers
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:38 pm

First of all congrats on your weight loss – that’s a big number.

I would up the running to around 20-30km per week if your knees can stand it. Swimming volume is fine and try and aim for a few 100k rides each month.

You have the pace now to go low to mid 3 hours in an Olympic. (40min swim, 1:20 ride, 60 run + 5 for transitions). By upping the ride and run volume you would develop the endurance to maintain these paces during a race situation. Dont forget to run off the bike a few times - even if its just a couple of k's.

A check of the results of a random Gatorade tri from earlier this year (at Sandringham), a 3:15 would have put you in 760th with 65 people behind you. If you get closer to 3 hours you would be in 680th – that’s far from last!

Go for it and enjoy – let us know how you go.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks bpmhigh

I am already running around 33km per week but I might be able to stretch that to 42km per week (3 x 14.5km). I do intend to do at least 1 big ride per month, just need to organise day release from the boss :D

Talking to a few guys at work who are into triathlons they suggest I give the sprint distance a go first before tackling the olympic but your words give me encouragement to give it a shot.

Thanks again & I will post any updates I have on the training and any event I sign up for
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

Matthews

Postby Matthews » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:04 pm

Good work with the weight lost. good numbers. Keep it up. I have also been running on and off for years. Decided last your to train and complete in a tri. Doing my 1st in November. I have not been doing any swimming as yet but am going to start that next week. Time is and always will be the issue. You can only do so much and when you have a family that so much becomes so much less. :D i only plan to do the sprint events and start at the bottom. Once i have done a few then slowly work my way to a 1/2 ironman.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:06 pm

My two cents worth (for YVP):

I would try to do each discipline twice a week (so maybe add a second ride in there somewhere?), although I don't personally achieve this very often.

Sounds like you have the endurance to complete OD already, which is great. There is actually nothing stopping you from doing your own little OD test from your local pool, with your bike and running shoes ready to go (eg in the back of your car / inside the swimming pool). When I do that, I do it in reverse order (run, bike, swim) as it avoids having to run or ride wet (and you definitely feel like jumping in the pool at the end).

If you are a bit nervous about how transition works etc you can try going in a small / local triathlon first, so that you get the hang of it, before competing at a longer / more popular / larger event (if that's what you're aiming at)...

I can highly recommend it, as someone who aims to complete against my own pace (rather than compete for the top place).

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks for the tips guys and yes I plan to train for the transition by riding about 5km to 10km and then going for a run, using my garage as my transition point.

I would like to get more riding in but I struggle for time. At the moment all my weekday training is done at 5am so as not to impact on family time. My weekend ride is usually early saturday morning before the wife goes to work leaving me with the kids for the day. I am not sure I am keen to be on the roads at 5am, but maybe I have to get over that. I do swing the occasional sunday ride where I get a 3 to 4 hour leave pass but in the end I figure the events keep me motivated and my usual routine will have to do, so I think its a sprint series with the occasional Olympic distance thrown into the mix

I spent the arvo looking up events and I think the gatorade series in the one for me with a target of the race 2 at elwood being my first. I am confident on the distance, I know the route and if I like it I have a few more to compete in before the season is done

I will keep you posted and I wish everyone else good luck as the season approaches
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:30 pm

Brick today, 83min for 40km on the bike and 55min for 10km run. Got a new HR monitor I am playing with. My HR was pretty stable at an average of about 150bpm over today's brick. Not sure if that is a good place for it to be, or whether I should be pushing harder, or even training at a lower rate.

Does anyone have any suggestions for calculating max heart rate? Other than the old formula 220 - age = max heart rate (which for me is 185).

Also does anyone know where you should be targeting your effort / HR for training?

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:24 am

80km including 3 sets on the steepest hill in western Sydney. Got home and changed quickly - and locked myself out. Broke into my own house and set the alarm off, then did a 5k run in a PB time :D
SeditionTrial wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for calculating max heart rate? Other than the old formula 220 - age = max heart rate (which for me is 185).

Also does anyone know where you should be targeting your effort / HR for training?
There's a few, just google for them. If you never go above 185, it should be fine. Target HR is a toughie, because it depends on your pedalling RPM; pedalling 60RPM means a lower HR avg for the duration of the ride, but pedalling 120RPM keeps your HR too high for the speed you're getting.. If you keep a consistent roughly consistent 90RPM's (just count 3 total pedal strokes/second), 150-160 is a good place to start. Try and hold 165 for a couple of minutes every 15 minutes.
What are these salesmen peddling?

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:47 pm

I have signed up for the xocise trisersies race 2 on Dec 4. Plenty of time to up the training and if it goes well and I enjoy it I reckon I can fit in another 4 in before port phillip bay by gets a bit chilly :D

My wife thinks I am crazy, I cant wait, just the melb marathon 10km and the eastlink ride in between
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Run report.
Well, I'm trying to expand my cycling fitness into the other 2 disciplines.
Did my first run really, the other day, using a 60 sec timer to alternate between waling and jogging. That worked pretty well.
Today on my second run, I was surprised at the difference I felt. I covered 10km, average 7min/km, best one was 5min/km. I walked the first km to warm up, then started the alternating thing again. Got a call form my nephew inviting me for dinner, and had to up the pace to make it. I varied it between 1 minute running and 3 min running with 1 min walks at a brisk pace. A bit sore in my gammy right calf a the end, but overall, I was quite happy.
I'll keep doing that twice a week, to build tolerance in my gammy leg. I can see myself running now, which I could not before.
It actually felt really good. I just need to sort out my breathing.
Funny, on the bike, I know how to breathe, but I don't seem to settle into a nice pattern as easily while running. It will come.
You have officially become your parents.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Thurs pm did cycle and swim. Cycle was a slow 30km (1hr5min) but that included 2x over Highgate Hill. Swimming was 2x 1km sessions, separated by a 5min breather, 22min and 23min.

Today 1.5km swim, 34min. Plan to do 10km run tomorrow and bike Tues morning. Had to take the weekend off training for work/family commitments. The weather has been awesome here in Brisbane. Really looking forward to getting out amongst it over the next 6 weeks before Noosa tri.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:52 pm

Had a big week last week (well for me anyway)
Monday 11.3km Run in 1hr8min, just shy of 6min pace, I was happy with that and felt great
Tuesday 2km swim in just under 55min. Was a good workout considering I hadnt swam in over a week
Wednesday 11.3km run in 1hr12min really struggled, legs felt very heavy
Thursday 2km swim in around 55min, good swim, had toovertake a couple of times with one person who put up a fight but I got past them but not ideal after 1600m
Friday 11.3km run in 1hr 8min, felt good and my average pace was better than Monday which was a fast start with a progresive slow down where as Friday was more controlled
Saturday 45km bike ride in 2hr5min. Good solid ride with some hills, had to work for it but felt great
Sunday 54km bike ride in 2hr24min. This was a challenge after Saturdays ride. Blowing hard for the last 11km and was going through the motions by then, probably should have a gel of something to eat once I hit the 2hr mark.

Went for a run today with every intention for 11.3km but there was zero energy in the legs so it was a gentle 4.3km jog at around 6.15 pace. I am thinking of a rest day tomorrow but as its a swim day and I dont use my legs so much I may stick with it

I will have to think about transitions soon and combine some riding & running
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

Matthews

Postby Matthews » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Good effort. Following along very closely. Keep us updated. Have my first tri in 2 months. Looking forward to it but need to put in some hard yards. Only going to do a sprint series to start then see how i go and build up from there.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Run 5.5km last night, 5.5km this morning, approx 28min each. No bike yet, working getting crazy busy, dammit.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Shift work is killing me at present, but did my first ever 1 km swim without a break. Not a big deal for anyone with a swimming background but for me it's a revelation. That has just blown open the envelope of possibility for me.
The key for me is to swim at sustainable pace.
You have officially become your parents.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:56 pm

On teh weekend there was one session of each, bike (untimed) 25km, run 10km 54min, swim 1km untimed.

Four and a bit weeks to go til Noosa! :) Looking to try to go sub 35min in the water, sub 50min for the run and sub 80min for the bike and transitions, which would bring me in under 165min, or 2hr 45min. The swim and bike will have to be close to PBs for it to work, and all three disciplines are still a long way from prepared.

Time to start training harder and smarter...

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:25 pm

have been training for the melb marathon for the last 3 months now, put in 700ks in the legs in those months ( and just about 400ks on the bike ) but no swimming what so ever.
so i decided to give the tri's a go and am signing up for the active feet series that starts in november, which gives me ample time to start swimming. ( the swim in race one is only 150m, but to me right now that seems like a long way )

but i reckon with 2 swims a week after the marathon which is next sunday i should be able to get through that alright. is anyone else going to be doing those events?
currently on taper for marathon as well, just 30ks of running this week as opposed to 77 last week....a big difference! but it feels good nonetheless.

rejoice for fitness!