Bike Fit In Adelaide

MichaelB

Re: Bike Fit In Adelaide

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:31 pm

williamsf1 wrote:getting another tweek to the fit (AT) Corsa Cycle Center today....
Will probably dio the same towards the middle of spring - seems to be an almost annual thing for me - almost like a checkup at the dr, but with less waiting and chnace of catching something .....

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:02 pm

mm still haven't had a check up since my fit earlier this year probs shouldn't of spent the money on Oakley's :cry: and should maybe had a look at shorter reach bars or shoes

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:57 am

MichaelB wrote:Will probably dio the same towards the middle of spring - seems to be an almost annual thing for me - almost like a checkup at the dr, but with less waiting and chnace of catching something .....
bit of an old thread but I am thinking of going to CCC for a fit. By the sounds of your statement you need to change stuff from year to year. Can I ask what sort of things change and how does Steve figure out what is best for you at the moment.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:08 am

eeksll wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Will probably dio the same towards the middle of spring - seems to be an almost annual thing for me - almost like a checkup at the dr, but with less waiting and chnace of catching something .....
bit of an old thread but I am thinking of going to CCC for a fit. By the sounds of your statement you need to change stuff from year to year. Can I ask what sort of things change and how does Steve figure out what is best for you at the moment.
Think about it in terms of going to the doc/GP for your annual checkup.

Sometimes it's a tweak to saddle position or bar height, or it can be nothing, but confirmation that it all looks good.

Last time it was a quick session that confirmed all is well.

Haven't managed to get there this year though .... :oops:

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:21 pm

Anyone had a fit with Bio-mechanics?

Site seems to say $100, which is better priced than CCC. They are both in town, I work in town ... .

I am fairly happy to pay the 160 at CCC as there seems to be some very happy people here who have used them, however, my main concern with CCC is if I do need a new item (e.g. stem), they will only have the upper end expensive gear.
I don't know about BE, I have been in there a couple of times, I got my bike from them and have never been too happy with the service there.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:59 pm

Getting 2 new bikes(+fitting) from Bike Station during the week so will report on it (normal cost is $165)

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Richard.L wrote:Getting 2 new bikes(+fitting) from Bike Station during the week so will report on it (normal cost is $165)
I'm sure the guys at Bike Station will do a great job, my favourite LBS by far.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:09 pm

I got my bike fit at bio-mechanics by a man called pete (with crazy hair).

In the end my own fiddling had my seat height and position pretty much right.
He moved my cleats a little so that my feet pedaled narrower and I think he move them slightly as well.
I had 2 handlebars I was experimenting with, he said I would be better fitted with the other set, so he swapped all the stuff over.
He told me to pedal with my feet flatter and not like I was on my toes and suggested different ways to hold the bar if I got numb hands.
He also said the stem I had was ever so slightly long (5mm) and if I felt I was scooting forward it might be worth my while trying a slightly shorter stem, Ill keep my eye on that.

Overall I was fairly happy, he didn't try to shuffle me out as fast as possible, he explained a few things like the hand positions and the pedaling technique and he seemed quite happy to talk and discuss things.

Question is was it worth getting a bike fit? I guess so, it does mean I'll now stop fiddling around with things :)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:33 pm

So the bike station fits are $165?

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:So the bike station fits are $165?
Yes(looking at their price list)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Richard.L wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:So the bike station fits are $165?
Yes(looking at their price list)
cant find their wesite.. u have a link? (soz if its already been posted)

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:16 pm

http://thebikestation.com.au/

So you need to pretty much head in store

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:16 pm

I've had fits at CCC, Bio-mechanics and The Bike Station.

CCC was good, although through a bit of a stuff up I was kind of rushed through which was a bit dissapointing. The cleat machine is good though.

Bio-mechanics, this is where I generally get work done if its something I can't do myself. The fit was ok, except I wasn't really happy with being set up with a shim under one of my cleats for a leg length discrepency (that doesn't exist). But that was easily fixed. Found I dropped my saddle slightly after the fit due to personal preference.

The bike station, This was more of a quick fit to check my TT postion. Noel's a great bloke, and I find myself going back here (even though its miles out of the way). I'd recommend seeing noel, he'll take care of you.

Cheers

bracko

Postby bracko » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:48 pm

hey guys,

bumping an older thread to see if there are any changes to the stores in Adelaide and fitting?

bought a cycling express 105 team bike and would like to get a proper fit. I would have gone to my guy back in Sydney who did an amazing job on my last bike but alas I didn't have time.

I don't want someone to just sit there and say i need new handle bars, new saddle, new stem/headset etc (as sometimes happens in Sydney when riders buy from online stores)..... Ideally I'd like to receive the measurements at the end of the fit as well.

price is of some concern, but a good fit is preferred.

vnbozza

Postby vnbozza » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Would recommend giving Noel a call at the Bike Station

Not sure if he will give you the measurements, but he won't sell you anything you don't need, and will keep to a budget

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:15 pm

Just been fitted to my new bike this afternoon by Noel at Bike Station. I was very impressed with his eye for detail and the time spent getting the cleats right as well as the actual bike set up. He did the initial set up by eye and was very accurate, he then got the "tools" out and fine tuned everything.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:06 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:Just been fitted to my new bike this afternoon by Noel at Bike Station. I was very impressed with his eye for detail and the time spent getting the cleats right as well as the actual bike set up. He did the initial set up by eye and was very accurate, he then got the "tools" out and fine tuned everything.
What was the charge ? And roughly how long did it take ?

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:07 pm

No charge Michael, although I guess it's factored into the cost of the bike. I replaced my damaged Scott with an identical bike which probably made it quick and easy. I bought new shoes, pedals and cleats and the shoe set up took about half an hour. The bike fit probably another half hour or so but having the same bike we had a pretty good idea of seat height, stem length etc as a starting point.
I did overhear Noel telling someone the day before it was around $160 for a bike and pedal fit.

buzz

Postby buzz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:58 pm

I have had a bike fit with steve a few years ago when he was at revolution cycles. I have smashed up quite a few body parts, that means I need my bike to be very custom fitted (e.g smashed spine = lose of 2 inches height). Steve was more than happy to spend a couple of hours fitting me out and making sure that the bike fit would suit my individual needs. He was more than happy to explain and educate me on what he was doing and provide some tips to improve my riding technique. I would highly recommend paying the extra money to have steve fit your bike. I also found steve was more than happy to provide any follow up adjustments without any extra charge.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:17 am

buzz wrote: I have had a bike fit with steve a few years ago when he was at revolution cycles. I have smashed up quite a few body parts, that means I need my bike to be very custom fitted (e.g smashed spine = lose of 2 inches height). Steve was more than happy to spend a couple of hours fitting me out and making sure that the bike fit would suit my individual needs. He was more than happy to explain and educate me on what he was doing and provide some tips to improve my riding technique. I would highly recommend paying the extra money to have steve fit your bike. I also found steve was more than happy to provide any follow up adjustments without any extra charge.
Ouch, glad you are still around.

I too have found Steve to be pretty good and very approachable. Will be seeing him again once the new bike is all ready to ride

thefishsniper

Postby thefishsniper » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Purchased a bike from Mega Bike a few months ago.

Bike is great.....a Fondriest TF3!! Love it!!

Bike fit and pedal training left a little to be desired. Only thing adjusted was the seat height. I apparently had the pedalling technique down pat?? Not bad considering I'm a newb? . Whilst being fitted the guy doing the fitting quizzed the mechanic on the gear changes not being very smooth and the mechanic said you can't make Dura Ace out of 105. Yes but surely 105 should still make precise gear changes??

Have since taken the bike back for minor adjustments, which they do do as part of a new bike purchase, but on both occassions it came back with grease on the white bar tape and frame?? :evil: . Not happy.

The bonus free rear light provided came off after the first ride. :( It's one of those ones that has a rubber bit that wraps around the aero seat post onto itself (bit like a knogg) but my leg must have touched it at some point and it flicked it off without my knowledge so it was lost.

The free plastic bottle holder released black muck onto the free white drink bottle which in turn went onto gloves and white bar tape..also the condensation from cold water in the water bottle caused black runs down the white frame.

The 'free' jersey (probably only thing actually worth anything) was not available in my 'common L size' upon pickup of the bike or 5 weeks down the track when bike was in for first service. So I've had to settle for a XL.

So... I could have just been very unlucky?? This is first time I've ever bagged anything in a public forum but I'm so disappointed at the service I received on what for me was large amount of money to spend on a bike at a shop which raves about its service that I had to air it. For those who've had good service feel free to say as perhaps I've just been plain unlucky.

I doubt they'll see any more business from myself unless its a warranty claim on the frame. God help me if this ever happens!! If I ever upgrade my fondy it'll be purchased from an interstate bike shop, no doubt for less and for service that's just as useful.

Dr_Mutley

Bike Fit In Adelaide

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Which megabike? Claude did a fit on a friend, and it was reasonably precise, if u can get past his somewhat Ill timed comments that now and then come out...

Given their moto is "service is everything" then maybe u should feedback your experience? Or email them a link to here?

With respect to the mechanic, megabike lost their top notch wrencher to the bike station in hove, so maybe pop yr bike in there for it's 12 month service...

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:51 am

I bought my first bike from Mega Bike and was happy with the service and fit, although the guy that did mine doesn't appear to be there any more.
Admittedly the fit last week at Bike Station was a bit more detailed, especially the pedals and cleat positioning, but I was happy with Mega Bike and was very close to buying a Fondreist this time round.

bracko

Postby bracko » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:28 pm

thanks all :) I wouldn't mind something closer into adelaide if possible.

have been given a quote of $150 by Bio-Mechanics Cycles. anyone have any experience from them? They mentioned it'd take ~1.5hrs and i would get the measurements at the end.... sounds reasonable, but i don't know what the prices are like in Adelaide.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:35 pm

bracko wrote:thanks all :) I wouldn't mind something closer into adelaide if possible.

have been given a quote of $150 by Bio-Mechanics Cycles. anyone have any experience from them? They mentioned it'd take ~1.5hrs and i would get the measurements at the end.... sounds reasonable, but i don't know what the prices are like in Adelaide.
Brother in law has used them for other services and been happy. $150 for a bike fit seems to be the going rate (last time at Corsa it was $130, but that was 18 months ago).

Price sounds about right.